Zephyr: Ambisonics Binaural/Surround Reverb

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
nonnaci
KVRist
251 posts since 7 Feb, 2017

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:35 am

NuSpace Audio is pleased to announce Zephyr, our binaural/surround reverb plugin (VST/AU) based in Higher-order-Ambisonics (HOA).

Ambisonics is a speaker-independent format for representing 3D sound-fields suited for spatial audio systems. By designing an algorithmic reverb that operates directly within the Ambisonics domain, Zephyr extends the immersive quality and control of binaural and surround systems, parameterizing important spatial cues of early reflections, scattering patterns, and reverb distributions. The result is a complete spatial audio package for crafting 3D soundscapes in music, 360-video, virtual/augmented reality, and beyond.

Features:

1st / 2nd / 3rd order HOA encoder: 8 sources, Mercator projection panner
HOA algorithmic reverb: Time, attack, size, reflection direction/inversion, scatter, modulation, high/low end dampening/resonator controls
HOA rotator: Yaw, pitch, invert controls
HOA decoder: Integrated binaural HRTF, stereo, quadraphonics, 5.1, hexagon/octagon speakers
Early reflection processor: Delay, gain, low/high cut, width, direction, depth controls
Early chorus processor: 1-7 stages
Sound-field visualizer: Real-time, brightness controls
Multi-configurations: Input (16 multi-channels, mono, AmbiX) / Output (Headphone/AmbiX/Speaker setups)
Free updates!
90+ presets to get you started

For a demo and sound samples, check out our launch page. Pricing info is available on our storefront.
Last edited by nonnaci on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

yellowmix
KVRAF
1866 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:28 am

Very cool! I don't do that type of work but since it's like Muze I'll definitely recommend it.

nonnaci
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:09 pm

yellowmix wrote:Very cool! I don't do that type of work but since it's like Muze I'll definitely recommend it.
Thanks yellowmix. Note that plugin also supports traditional stereo mixing as part of its many configurations.

DJErmac
KVRAF
1728 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Can't wait to try it ! Muze is one of my favourite reverbs ever !
This post is supposed to be non-agressive. Now please give me a broad smile. :ud:

nonnaci
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:48 am

DJErmac wrote:Can't wait to try it ! Muze is one of my favourite reverbs ever !
Appreciated! I still have one more reverb to think up for Muze before hitting the 9 mark.

nonnaci
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:51 am

Hotfix update:

v. 1.0.1
-Fixed possible crash when changing DAW latency whilst having an active sound-field visualization
-Fixed AU verification due to above error (Note that Logic & Live still doesn't support 16 in/out config for AU but other DAWs may support it). Use the VST version on mac if possible.

Existing customers can download the latest version from the link in their receipt or alternatively from the Fastspring dashboard.

dreamvoid
KVRist
352 posts since 8 Jun, 2009

Post Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:30 am

nonnaci wrote:
yellowmix wrote:Very cool! I don't do that type of work but since it's like Muze I'll definitely recommend it.
Thanks yellowmix. Note that plugin also supports traditional stereo mixing as part of its many configurations.
I'm currently demoing Zephyr. Can you please elaborate the output setting combining stereo and binaural (Hybrid)? Is this meant for having a compromise between binaural and speaker playback?
ITU gave me 'just' a quad playback I think - this was with 1.0.0.
(macOS El Capitan, Cubase Pro 9.5)

nonnaci
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:46 am

dreamvoid wrote: I'm currently demoing Zephyr. Can you please elaborate the output setting combining stereo and binaural (Hybrid)? Is this meant for having a compromise between binaural and speaker playback?
ITU gave me 'just' a quad playback I think - this was with 1.0.0.
(macOS El Capitan, Cubase Pro 9.5)
Hybrid mode omits spatial filters that color the sound, instead using modified panning laws for left/right, and adds slight delay for left/right when rendering off-centered sources. It's the closest to being stereo compatible.

I'll look further into the surround output configs.

EDIT: Ok, all the surround outputs are front-back flipped which was why center in 5.0 seemed so low. The quick solution right now is to set Pitch to -180. I'll update the fix into the next version.

nonnaci
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:28 am

Hotfix updates:

v. 1.0.3
-Added support for Logic AU (all output configurations except 16 channel AmbiX output)

v. 1.0.2
-Fixed flipped front-back for all surround output modes.

dreamvoid
KVRist

Post Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:51 pm

VST 1.0.3 (macOS El Capitan, Cubase Pro 9.5) -> in surround mode, channel Rs is missing in reverb.
(Edit:) - Rs is missing generally, also with reverb off ... :-( Panning in surround seems weird anyway but I wait for the Rs channel fix to see if something else is additionally wrong.
It seems you're not testing these things fully. The demos seem to be beta versions at best.
Now that you reduced the ugliness of the GUI in Zephyr in comparison to your other plug ins, I always run into problems when testing surround mode with your Zephyr. You make it really hard for me to buy a product from you. ;-) Please improve the quality control. The sound quality of the sound positioning is really good. The positioning graphic is counter-intuitive for me. Of course, if you could give an alternative, very clean and reduced skin for your plug ins would be very welcomed too. This Fisher-Price design is hard to ignore and work with for me.

nonnaci
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:38 am

dreamvoid wrote:VST 1.0.3 (macOS El Capitan, Cubase Pro 9.5) -> in surround mode, channel Rs is missing in reverb.
(Edit:) - Rs is missing generally, also with reverb off ... :-( Panning in surround seems weird anyway but I wait for the Rs channel fix to see if something else is additionally wrong.
It seems you're not testing these things fully. The demos seem to be beta versions at best.
Now that you reduced the ugliness of the GUI in Zephyr in comparison to your other plug ins, I always run into problems when testing surround mode with your Zephyr. You make it really hard for me to buy a product from you. ;-) Please improve the quality control. The sound quality of the sound positioning is really good. The positioning graphic is counter-intuitive for me. Of course, if you could give an alternative, very clean and reduced skin for your plug ins would be very welcomed too. This Fisher-Price design is hard to ignore and work with for me.
Appreciate the feedback. Try changing Cubase's VST connections input / output to [Stereo / 5.0] for now. I'll enable more channel combinations in the the next update.

EDIT: @dreamvoid I don't have access to Cubase Pro (only elements) so testing the surround for that DAW isn't done. In version 1.0.4, I've enabled the remaining supported channel configs in hopes that it will cover the Cubase Pro case. Aside from that, there's not much else to be done if it doesn't work.
Last edited by nonnaci on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

nonnaci
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:28 am

Version 1.0.4 is up
-Added support for more channel configurations

dreamvoid
KVRist

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:35 am

nonnaci wrote: EDIT: @dreamvoid I don't have access to Cubase Pro (only elements) so testing the surround for that DAW isn't done. In version 1.0.4, I've enabled the remaining supported channel configs in hopes that it will cover the Cubase Pro case. Aside from that, there's not much else to be done if it doesn't work.
I work with Nuendo 7.1 (will be updating soon to 8 ) and Cubase Pro 9.5, therefore these are the first DAWs for me to check out Zephyr. Of course you can do more: download the demo of Cubase Pro 9.5 - it will run for a full month: https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/s ... sions.html

Some time ago I went with Exponential Audio thru some channel misbehaviour of Phoenix Surround and we could sort that out. But Michael Carns had to test it himself during bug tracking. Frankly, I don't like to be a (beta)tester without compensation and this would be a bouncing back and forth how it all works, means: some serious work.

nonnaci
KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:59 am

dreamvoid wrote: I work with Nuendo 7.1 (will be updating soon to 8) and Cubase Pro 9.5, therefore these are the first DAWs for me to check out Zephyr. Of course you can do more: download the demo of Cubase Pro 9.5 - it will run for a full month: https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/s ... sions.html

Some time ago I went with Exponential Audio thru some channel misbehaviour of Phoenix Surround and we could sort that out. But Michael Carns had to test it himself during bug tracking. Frankly, I don't like to be a (beta)tester without compensation and this would be a bouncing back and forth how it all works, means: some serious work.
Your concerns are understandable as beta testing does require a time commitment. As for trial DAWs, I've gone though several already although not yet Cubase because of their iLok/USB-eLicenser requirements. Might be time to bite the bullet :(

dreamvoid
KVRist

Post Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:42 pm

with 1.0.4 you added the fifth channel but it is now going into the Lfe instead Rs ... :-( (tested in same environment)
are you doing just trial and error?

Return to “Effects”