Bug in Octave Transpose

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, this first screenshot shows a phrase properly placed after insertion by the "insert phrase" button in the phrase controls.

Notice that phrase transpose is set to Octave above the timeline, but in the phrase controls, it says Phrase, not octave. I didn't touch that button.

Now, because I want it an octave lower, I drag it down and it goes correctly to an octave below. But notice that the setting for transpose now says "Octave" but the transpose shows -8, instead of -12. (Other times I did this it had an odd number, like -7).

(1) Shouldn't it say "Octave" in the first place, inside the Phrase controls, if I have the control above the timeline set to Octave? I have replicated this on a new project, with different phrases.

(2) Shouldn't the offset when I drag it down show as -12, for an octave? (The phrase does play correctly, and is in the correct spot after being dragged, it is just this numerical indication that seems to be wrong.

Tiger

This is the way it works. I'll explain.
All phrases have their own setting for transposition and resizing. These are independent of what you see in the top menu above the workspace. The setting in "Phrase Transpose" and "Phrase Resize" menus are used only when you directly transpose/resize the phrases with your mouse. When you do that, the transpose/resize settings inside the phrases are overwritten with the selection in the top menus.

The transpose slider always shows semitones, regardless of the transposition mode used.

musicdevelopments wrote:This is the way it works. I'll explain.
All phrases have their own setting for transposition and resizing. These are independent of what you see in the top menu above the workspace. The setting in "Phrase Transpose" and "Phrase Resize" menus are used only when you directly transpose/resize the phrases with your mouse. When you do that, the transpose/resize settings inside the phrases are overwritten with the selection in the top menus.

The transpose slider always shows semitones, regardless of the transposition mode used.
Yes, I understood all that (or most of it anyway)...but the number on the transpose should be a multiple of 12. I moved it an octave. So the number should never be -8.

I just tried it again with a different phrase. I pulled it down with the mouse one octave. It plays correctly. But the transpose value shows -6.

Shouldn't the number in the transpose show -12?? That is what I did, pull it down an octave. It plays correctly, so I know it actually is at -12 from its original position.

Set your control in the menu to Octave, and drag something down, and then look at the value.

Tiger

I know what you mean, yes, that may be logical, but all transposition values are stored in semitones. Notes/phrases are transposed using the current mode and the semitone offset. The best transposition is found for that given semitone offset.

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote:I know what you mean, yes, that may be logical, but all transposition values are stored in semitones. Notes/phrases are transposed using the current mode and the semitone offset. The best transposition is found for that given semitone offset.

Thanks,
Attila
You and I are talking two different languages, apparently. :ud:

I move the phrase an octave by dragging it. An octave is 12 semitones, so if I move the phrase an octave, why should the phrase dialog show any number other than a multiple of 12?

This isn't causing me a problem (yet), it just irritates me. So maybe someday we will understand each other... :!:

On to the next thing.

Tiger

I move the phrase an octave by dragging it. An octave is 12 semitones
No, you just think you moved it an octave :hihi: Actually you moved it by 6-7 semitones and the program snapped the phrase to the next octave. The way of 'snapping' depends on the transposition mode.

Thanks,
Attila

Hmm... are you both referring to transposition from two different perspectives? In other words, chromatic transposition (1 octave = 12 semi-tones) versus scalar/diatonic transposition (1 octave = 8 scalar/modal steps)?
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

musicdevelopments wrote:
I move the phrase an octave by dragging it. An octave is 12 semitones
No, you just think you moved it an octave :hihi: Actually you moved it by 6-7 semitones and the program snapped the phrase to the next octave. The way of 'snapping' depends on the transposition mode.

Thanks,
Attila
Are you saying that you are recording the actual distance dragged in the dialog box, and not where I ended up after the snap? For example let's say I did drag it 7 semitones, and then RC snapped it the rest of the way to make it 12 semitones.

So in that case you show the 7 in the dialog box?

Tiger

Yes, exactly.
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote:Yes, exactly.
Attila
Glad to know we understand each other, even if we do not agree on how it should work :lol: !

Tiger

Return to “MusicDevelopments”