Is it still worth buying Zebra2 (and The Dark Zebra)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I just would like to know what is said in subject. I know that the upgrade to Zebra3 would be free if I own both versions but otherwise I could hope for introductory offer for the third version. Also: Is The Dark Zebra (compared to the upcoming one) worth having it, too? What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance. :phones:

– Juljan

I was recently in the same boat. I had checked out the Zebra 2.8 beta, and decided I wanted it. Here's the conclusion I came to: 1) buy Zebra2 now, 2) hold off on Dark Zebra/ZebraHZ unless you REALLY, REALLY want the HZ presets.

My reasoning was this: I can buy Zebra now and upgrade to Zebra3 later this year for $29. That brings the cost of Zebra2+Zebra3 at $228. However, Zebra2+Dark Zebra = $298 dollars spent with a free upgrade to Zebra3. I figure the $70 saved by just getting Zebra2 is worth it to me considering how huge Zebra2 is by itself.

Do the Diva filters and HZ presets sound like nice to haves? Yes, absolutely. But I won't even get to a tenth of what Zebra2 is capable of before Zebra3 comes out, so coming in late, I felt it made sense to wait. The nice thing though, is if you do get both, not only is the upgrade free, U-he will continue to support the old ones. So at that point, you're basically getting 3 synths for $298.

Agree with Funkybot, Zebra 2 is worth it alone. I'm a huge Zebra proponent, but the Dark Zebra seems like it's price is reflective of royalty agreements with Zinn, and not some amazing outstanding addition, unlike what Zebra 3 will likely be.

I am curious about one thing. If you don't get Dark Zebra, when Zebra 3 comes out and you pay for the upgrade from Zebra 2, do you still get the filters that come with Dark Zebra or are they only for people who get the free upgrade?

How exactly does this work?

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

wagtunes wrote:I am curious about one thing. If you don't get Dark Zebra, when Zebra 3 comes out and you pay for the upgrade from Zebra 2, do you still get the filters that come with Dark Zebra or are they only for people who get the free upgrade?

My impression is, my assumption is... zebra 3 will have upgraded algo’s. It will NOT have dark zebra filters. The only way to get the dark zebra filters is to buy it now. Just to throw out what I’ve read and come to understand. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

wagtunes wrote:I am curious about one thing. If you don't get Dark Zebra, when Zebra 3 comes out and you pay for the upgrade from Zebra 2, do you still get the filters that come with Dark Zebra or are they only for people who get the free upgrade?

Dark Zebra is both a soundset and a separate version of Zebra called Zebra HZ. If you do not buy Dark Zebra, then you will not get Zebra HZ... not now, and not when Zebra 3 rolls out.

Dark Zebra (Zebra HZ) has the Diva filters in it. The same code dropped over.

My understanding: Zebra 3 is not going to have the Diva filters in it. It will have new filters that use the knowledge developed from Diva, Bazille and RePro, but they will not be the exact Diva filters.

I would also guess that they will be a bit more CPU efficient. The Diva filters in the Dark Zebra are mono (as they are in Diva). Zebra overall has a stereo signal path so the Diva filters are a clunky fit. I expect the new filters in Zebra 3 will be stereo and thus will need to use less CPU than 2 iterations of the Diva filters.

I pretty much never use the Diva filters in the Dark Zebra. They use just too much CPU and you lose the stereo signal path. If I want the Diva filters, I just use Diva. The reasons I love using Dark Zebra are the other features it has that Zebra doesn't - the Resonator Module and the per channel Compressors. As Zebra 3 gets closer, the calculation changes, but I always considered Dark Zebra worth it for those features alone.

pdxindy wrote:

Dark Zebra is both a soundset and a separate version of Zebra called Zebra HZ. If you do not buy Dark Zebra, then you will not get Zebra HZ... not now, and not when Zebra 3 rolls out.

My understanding: Zebra 3 is not going to have the Diva filters in it. It will have new filters that use the knowledge developed from Diva, Bazille and RePro, but they will not be the exact Diva filters.

I would also guess that they will be a bit more CPU efficient. The Diva filters in the Dark Zebra are mono (as they are in Diva). Zebra overall has a stereo signal path so the Diva filters are a clunky fit. I expect the new filters in Zebra 3 will be stereo and thus will need to use less CPU than 2 iterations of the Diva filters.

I pretty much never use the Diva filters in the Dark Zebra. They use just too much CPU and you lose the stereo signal path. If I want the Diva filters, I just use Diva. The reasons I love using Dark Zebra are the other features it has that Zebra doesn't - the Resonator Module and the per channel Compressors. As Zebra 3 gets closer, the calculation changes, but I always considered Dark Zebra worth it for those features alone.
So in other words, Zebra 3, without Dark Zebra, is a minuscule upgrade from Zebra 2 and probably not even worth getting.

That's disappointing to say the least.

Now I understand why owners who have Dark Zebra are getting Zebra 3 for free. It's probably the only thing that makes Zebra 3 worth getting.

So in other words, if I want a "good" Zebra 3, I have to shell out another $99 for Dark Zebra first.

Suddenly I'm not so exited about getting Zebra 3.

wagtunes wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

So in other words, Zebra 3, without Dark Zebra, is a minuscule upgrade from Zebra 2 and probably not even worth getting.

Now I understand why owners who have Dark Zebra are getting Zebra 3 for free. It's probably the only thing that makes Zebra 3 worth getting.

So in other words, if I want a "good" Zebra 3, I have to shell out another $99 for Dark Zebra first.

I think you are confused my friend. Zebra 3 is the same thing for everyone no matter what else you have. Zebra 3 is Zebra 3.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Wags, Zebra 3 will not be a miniscule update at all. Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Maybe the low upgrade price? It's going to be a whole new synth built from the ground up. It won't even be preset compatible with version 2.

Expect Zebra 3 to be a monster in terms of sound, scope, capabilities, and usability! I am.

serious question...will Zebra 3 be released this year?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

wagtunes wrote:

huh? Zebra 3 is the same synth for everyone. Has nothing to do with Dark Zebra other than affecting the price.

Personally, I think it is ridiculous that u-he is going to charge only $30 for the upgrade. They should be charging $75-100 for the upgrade to Z3

Zebra 3 is a complete re-write of Zebra 2. It will not be preset compatible. The various changes and concepts that Urs has talked about are far too many to bother listing here. Zebra 3 is going to be epic!

ATS wrote:serious question...will Zebra 3 be released this year?
who knows... I do expect at least an Alpha version, or Beta version this year. But that is just my speculation.

ATS wrote:serious question...will Zebra 3 be released this year?
They want to have an alpha they can show off at Super Booth in April. Based on that, I think a Q4 release is realistic. Remember, RePro was shown off at Super Booth and was released in Q4. And the big hold up was the browser, not the actual sound engine. Zebra 3 may not be a fair comparison, but I'm pretty sure Urs wants to get it out this year.

Return to “Instruments”