happy vlog sound

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
nerd
KVRist
49 posts since 10 May, 2017

Post Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi..

I'm posting this because I want to get somewhere with my occasional music.
I like it myself, but I don't like that it has to be a stompy thing that is not smooth.
I could need any musical feedback, e.g. what to try in general, like working more with synths, or more with acoustic things? Playing keyboard? don't know. :) Thanks a lot!

https://soundcloud.com/user-10118435-16 ... /dude-mood

sjm
KVRAF
1692 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Re: happy vlog sound

Post Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 am

I quite like it too, but there's a few things in there I also don't like.

The worst offender to my ears is the background synth - laden with white noise or high frequency FM stuff - that comes in at 0:21 or so. It's all over the stereo field and interacting horribly with the rest of your track. It works better when it calms down a bit and just plays the long note bursts. But I remain unconvinced that the patch is really working as intended. You're in the ballpark though; I can hear what it's supposed to sound like!

It's also slightly problematic in what I will call the chorus (about 1 minutes in), but the way it interacts with the glitches on the samples works a lot better. There's a lot less conflict sonically to my ears. Anyway, I think you need to revisit that patch.

The other thing that I think is contributing a bit to the lack of smoothness - in terms of the "big picture" - is that the transitions, while not awkward, don't sound quite finished. I'm thinking some sort of upwards pitch bend at 0:20 for example, and maybe some cartoony bounce/boing sounds here and there. Something to tie everything together a little bit more. Right now there's part 1 and then part 2, but nothing that ties the two together in the last bar of part 1.

The chorus is pretty funky/interesting with the glitches, you should (IMO) have that section repeat at least one more time in the song.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

Return to “Music Cafe”