Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
JoeCat
KVRian
1160 posts since 19 May, 2011 from North Carolina

Post Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 am

Live's arrangement view is improving, and there's an online theme editor out in the wild so you can create your own themes and tone down any grid-line contrast, etc.

Crossfades are improved, automation value typing (!). I'd love right-clip access to the clip gain fader, and definitely comping - Live wasn't really designed for more traditional production work, but even a lot of electronic producers record vocals and more are combining live tracks, etc. I typically just duplicate audio tracks and record comps that way, but like a lot of things in Live, it's a workaround.

Would love the option to move track control to the left also - eye goes there for the browser, etc.

jonljacobi
KVRian
834 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Post Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Slowly I turned, step by step... I tried the editor, it lets you lighten some stuff, but not the parts that bug me the most. At least the elements in the editor that I can find.

anttimaatteri
KVRist
256 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm

kunda311 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:16 pm
Complaining that Live is "limited" is quite the ignorant statement.

Live can do virtually anything other DAWs can. Sure, some things it doesn't do better...

What Live does do better, though, it does so much better that it's not even funny.

On the other hand, people complaining that Live is limited and it's only good for electronic music, helps the rest of us who love Live. That way we are fewer & we stand a chance of doing something truly unique that way.
welllll welll welll...
maybe its far better in many other aspect, but the wave file handling for a daw that WAS MADE FOR handling wave files in the first place since 1.0 is abysmally atrocious and bad, especially in the arrangement view. and in the session view, i will never get the logic why the only way one can manipulate wave files is to fuckin CROP them. WHY? why only crop? session view is the fuckin heart of the program. why not: insert silence, drag and drop, cut out, paste in, paste after infront before whatever...
why do i have to put that file into the arrangement and even there have a pain in the ass editing and then put it back into the session view...

Kinh
KVRian
1180 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Re: Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 am

anttimaatteri wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm
kunda311 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:16 pm
Complaining that Live is "limited" is quite the ignorant statement.

Live can do virtually anything other DAWs can. Sure, some things it doesn't do better...

What Live does do better, though, it does so much better that it's not even funny.

On the other hand, people complaining that Live is limited and it's only good for electronic music, helps the rest of us who love Live. That way we are fewer & we stand a chance of doing something truly unique that way.
welllll welll welll...
maybe its far better in many other aspect, but the wave file handling for a daw that WAS MADE FOR handling wave files in the first place since 1.0 is abysmally atrocious and bad, especially in the arrangement view. and in the session view, i will never get the logic why the only way one can manipulate wave files is to fuckin CROP them. WHY? why only crop? session view is the fuckin heart of the program. why not: insert silence, drag and drop, cut out, paste in, paste after infront before whatever...
why do i have to put that file into the arrangement and even there have a pain in the ass editing and then put it back into the session view...
ya dont know what ya talkin' bout mate

ckam03
KVRian
512 posts since 11 May, 2014

Re: Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:22 am

Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 am
anttimaatteri wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm
kunda311 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:16 pm
Complaining that Live is "limited" is quite the ignorant statement.

Live can do virtually anything other DAWs can. Sure, some things it doesn't do better...

What Live does do better, though, it does so much better that it's not even funny.

On the other hand, people complaining that Live is limited and it's only good for electronic music, helps the rest of us who love Live. That way we are fewer & we stand a chance of doing something truly unique that way.
welllll welll welll...
maybe its far better in many other aspect, but the wave file handling for a daw that WAS MADE FOR handling wave files in the first place since 1.0 is abysmally atrocious and bad, especially in the arrangement view. and in the session view, i will never get the logic why the only way one can manipulate wave files is to fuckin CROP them. WHY? why only crop? session view is the fuckin heart of the program. why not: insert silence, drag and drop, cut out, paste in, paste after infront before whatever...
why do i have to put that file into the arrangement and even there have a pain in the ass editing and then put it back into the session view...
ya dont know what ya talkin' bout mate
You don't seem to know what you're talking about either. "Nope, you're wrong but I don't know why you're wrong and don't ask me to explain it buttttt nope you're wrong"

Spencer Maddox
KVRist
270 posts since 19 Oct, 2017

Re: Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am

Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 am
anttimaatteri wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm
kunda311 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:16 pm
Complaining that Live is "limited" is quite the ignorant statement.

Live can do virtually anything other DAWs can. Sure, some things it doesn't do better...

What Live does do better, though, it does so much better that it's not even funny.

On the other hand, people complaining that Live is limited and it's only good for electronic music, helps the rest of us who love Live. That way we are fewer & we stand a chance of doing something truly unique that way.
welllll welll welll...
maybe its far better in many other aspect, but the wave file handling for a daw that WAS MADE FOR handling wave files in the first place since 1.0 is abysmally atrocious and bad, especially in the arrangement view. and in the session view, i will never get the logic why the only way one can manipulate wave files is to fuckin CROP them. WHY? why only crop? session view is the fuckin heart of the program. why not: insert silence, drag and drop, cut out, paste in, paste after infront before whatever...
why do i have to put that file into the arrangement and even there have a pain in the ass editing and then put it back into the session view...
ya dont know what ya talkin' bout mate
Oh wow My Guy, You just Tore apart his argument. RIP.
More Espresso Less Depresso

User avatar
spendthrift2
KVRist
116 posts since 10 Feb, 2010

Re: Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Spencer Maddox wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am
Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 am
anttimaatteri wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm
kunda311 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:16 pm
Complaining that Live is "limited" is quite the ignorant statement.

Live can do virtually anything other DAWs can. Sure, some things it doesn't do better...

What Live does do better, though, it does so much better that it's not even funny.

On the other hand, people complaining that Live is limited and it's only good for electronic music, helps the rest of us who love Live. That way we are fewer & we stand a chance of doing something truly unique that way.
welllll welll welll...
maybe its far better in many other aspect, but the wave file handling for a daw that WAS MADE FOR handling wave files in the first place since 1.0 is abysmally atrocious and bad, especially in the arrangement view. and in the session view, i will never get the logic why the only way one can manipulate wave files is to fuckin CROP them. WHY? why only crop? session view is the fuckin heart of the program. why not: insert silence, drag and drop, cut out, paste in, paste after infront before whatever...
why do i have to put that file into the arrangement and even there have a pain in the ass editing and then put it back into the session view...
ya dont know what ya talkin' bout mate
Oh wow My Guy, You just Tore apart his argument. RIP.
I think some of the more interesting things you can do with WAV are in simpler and sampler. :D

Kinh
KVRian
1180 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Re: Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 pm

spendthrift2 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am
Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 am
anttimaatteri wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm
kunda311 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:16 pm
Complaining that Live is "limited" is quite the ignorant statement.

Live can do virtually anything other DAWs can. Sure, some things it doesn't do better...

What Live does do better, though, it does so much better that it's not even funny.

On the other hand, people complaining that Live is limited and it's only good for electronic music, helps the rest of us who love Live. That way we are fewer & we stand a chance of doing something truly unique that way.
welllll welll welll...
maybe its far better in many other aspect, but the wave file handling for a daw that WAS MADE FOR handling wave files in the first place since 1.0 is abysmally atrocious and bad, especially in the arrangement view. and in the session view, i will never get the logic why the only way one can manipulate wave files is to fuckin CROP them. WHY? why only crop? session view is the fuckin heart of the program. why not: insert silence, drag and drop, cut out, paste in, paste after infront before whatever...
why do i have to put that file into the arrangement and even there have a pain in the ass editing and then put it back into the session view...
ya dont know what ya talkin' bout mate
Oh wow My Guy, You just Tore apart his argument. RIP.
I think some of the more interesting things you can do with WAV are in simpler and sampler. :D
Exactly. You can manipulate the hell out of wavs in sampler. That's why they designed it.
Even when working in arrangement view I still use drum rack and sampler to manipulate samples. There's more flexibility, you can work in performance mode and you got access to envelopes which lets you do things which are impossible with waves on their own like modulate loop length and shit

andypryce
KVRist
124 posts since 2 Nov, 2014

Re: Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:03 am

Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 pm
spendthrift2 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am
Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 am
anttimaatteri wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm
kunda311 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:16 pm
Complaining that Live is "limited" is quite the ignorant statement.

Live can do virtually anything other DAWs can. Sure, some things it doesn't do better...

What Live does do better, though, it does so much better that it's not even funny.

On the other hand, people complaining that Live is limited and it's only good for electronic music, helps the rest of us who love Live. That way we are fewer & we stand a chance of doing something truly unique that way.
welllll welll welll...
maybe its far better in many other aspect, but the wave file handling for a daw that WAS MADE FOR handling wave files in the first place since 1.0 is abysmally atrocious and bad, especially in the arrangement view. and in the session view, i will never get the logic why the only way one can manipulate wave files is to fuckin CROP them. WHY? why only crop? session view is the fuckin heart of the program. why not: insert silence, drag and drop, cut out, paste in, paste after infront before whatever...
why do i have to put that file into the arrangement and even there have a pain in the ass editing and then put it back into the session view...
ya dont know what ya talkin' bout mate
Oh wow My Guy, You just Tore apart his argument. RIP.
I think some of the more interesting things you can do with WAV are in simpler and sampler. :D
Exactly. You can manipulate the hell out of wavs in sampler. That's why they designed it.
Even when working in arrangement view I still use drum rack and sampler to manipulate samples. There's more flexibility, you can work in performance mode and you got access to envelopes which lets you do things which are impossible with waves on their own like modulate loop length and shit
Manipulating is the wrong word. Of course you can manipulate the hell out of files in simpler etc.He means ''editing'' audio files in session and arrangement view. Not sound design.

Kinh
KVRian
1180 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Re: Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:20 am

andypryce wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:03 am
Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 pm
spendthrift2 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am
Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 am
anttimaatteri wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm


welllll welll welll...
maybe its far better in many other aspect, but the wave file handling for a daw that WAS MADE FOR handling wave files in the first place since 1.0 is abysmally atrocious and bad, especially in the arrangement view. and in the session view, i will never get the logic why the only way one can manipulate wave files is to fuckin CROP them. WHY? why only crop? session view is the fuckin heart of the program. why not: insert silence, drag and drop, cut out, paste in, paste after infront before whatever...
why do i have to put that file into the arrangement and even there have a pain in the ass editing and then put it back into the session view...
ya dont know what ya talkin' bout mate
Oh wow My Guy, You just Tore apart his argument. RIP.
I think some of the more interesting things you can do with WAV are in simpler and sampler. :D
Exactly. You can manipulate the hell out of wavs in sampler. That's why they designed it.
Even when working in arrangement view I still use drum rack and sampler to manipulate samples. There's more flexibility, you can work in performance mode and you got access to envelopes which lets you do things which are impossible with waves on their own like modulate loop length and shit
Manipulating is the wrong word. Of course you can manipulate the hell out of files in simpler etc.He means ''editing'' audio files in session and arrangement view. Not sound design.
mate you're just ramblin' on about bloody nuffin'

andypryce
KVRist
124 posts since 2 Nov, 2014

Re: Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 am

Kinh wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:20 am
andypryce wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:03 am
Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 pm
spendthrift2 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am
Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 am

ya dont know what ya talkin' bout mate
Oh wow My Guy, You just Tore apart his argument. RIP.
I think some of the more interesting things you can do with WAV are in simpler and sampler. :D
Exactly. You can manipulate the hell out of wavs in sampler. That's why they designed it.
Even when working in arrangement view I still use drum rack and sampler to manipulate samples. There's more flexibility, you can work in performance mode and you got access to envelopes which lets you do things which are impossible with waves on their own like modulate loop length and shit
Manipulating is the wrong word. Of course you can manipulate the hell out of files in simpler etc.He means ''editing'' audio files in session and arrangement view. Not sound design.
mate you're just ramblin' on about bloody nuffin'
I did not even make a comment about Live's abilities about audio editing.I just wrote what I understood from what he meant. Whatever I m out

anttimaatteri
KVRist
256 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Arrangement view in Ableton Live is a nightmare! Any tips?

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:23 am

andypryce wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:25 am
Kinh wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:20 am
andypryce wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:03 am
Kinh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:35 pm
spendthrift2 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 am

Oh wow My Guy, You just Tore apart his argument. RIP.
I think some of the more interesting things you can do with WAV are in simpler and sampler. :D
Exactly. You can manipulate the hell out of wavs in sampler. That's why they designed it.
Even when working in arrangement view I still use drum rack and sampler to manipulate samples. There's more flexibility, you can work in performance mode and you got access to envelopes which lets you do things which are impossible with waves on their own like modulate loop length and shit
Manipulating is the wrong word. Of course you can manipulate the hell out of files in simpler etc.He means ''editing'' audio files in session and arrangement view. Not sound design.
mate you're just ramblin' on about bloody nuffin'
I did not even make a comment about Live's abilities about audio editing.I just wrote what I understood from what he meant. Whatever I m out
forget it m8.
u got me totally right.
and while i am working with ableton live for some good reasons, i had a lot more fun directly editing wave files in bitwig to fit them to my pleasures. its still even more fun editing wave files in renoise/redux than in ableton live.

just too many psychs around here...geez

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”