New Pianoteq v.6.1 update!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pianoteq Studio Bundle

Based on the 126 audio demos for the 6 pianos i posted above (21 demos for each piano) i selcted my favorite piano for each of the 21 MIDi files and/or songs.

Here is my own ranking based on that comparison/test (with the No. of votes):
1.) Ant. Petrof 275 model in Pianoteq 6.3.0 Stage, "Ant. Petrof 275" preset : 10 votes
2.) VI Labs Ravenscroft 275, custom preset with 4 mic positions : 4 votes
3.) Blüthner Model One model in Pianoteq 6.3.0 Stage, "Bluethner Model One BA" preset : 3 votes
3.) Steinway Model D model in Pianoteq 6.3.0 Stage, "Steinway D Prelude" preset : 3 votes
5.) Arturia Piano V2 (v2.1.0), "American Grand" model, my own custom preset : 1 vote
6.) K2 Grand model in Pianoteq 6.3.0 Stage, "K2 Prelude" preset : 0 votes

Based on this comparison the Ant. Petrof 275 model for Pianoteq 6.3.0 is the clear winner followed by the Ravenscroft 275 that was my "go-to" paino before i bought Pianoteq 6 Stage.
Currently the Ant. Petrof seems to be the the best "allround" piano for me and also in the songs where it did not get a vote in this comparson it still sounded really good.
Beyond those MIDI tracks used for the comparison also when playing it "live" myself the Ant. Petrof currently is my favorite while the Ravenscroft 275 is still great too.

The last two places are quite clear too and both the Arturia Piano V2 and the K2 model for Pianoteq peformed quite bad in this comparison. In the near future this will be the 2 pianos that i will rarely use.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

bmanic wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:43 pm
My 30+ years of playing classical piano definitely makes me biased. I've also never recorded a piano in my life, right? :wink:
Sure. I guess my fifty years of playing whatever piano was at the venue puts me more in a particular level of accepting most of them. So as long as the keys don't stick and it plays on a full velocity range, I've actually come to even desire some of those "less than an aficionado requires", but still striking my senses in just the right way. BTW, I started demoing it at version 4 and while a bit impressed, not enough to buy it. Not until version 5 and a particular half day flash sale could I find no reason to not own it. Since then, it indeed has gotten better with each update. Even to the point that I've dumped almost all the other "preferred pianos" I owned.

And I like that it seems to nail the play-ability most or maybe even all of time.
Further, maybe even more contrary to the common comments of "best"... My "go-to" seems to mostly be the Bechstein! :)
To each their own.

BBFG# wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:37 am Further, maybe even more contrary to the common comments of "best"... My "go-to" seems to mostly be the Bechstein! :)
To each their own.
Funny you say that. I was experimenting that one a few days ago. As a model, it falls way beyond the more modern ones, IMO (I don't even know if it is from Moddart, or from a user). It also doesn't sound as good as some sampled Bechsteins I experienced.

But it certainly had a special feel in some jazz piano pices I used it on.

Sometimes, the best piano for a certain task isn't always "the best piano" :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Bechstein currently in Pianoteq (Kremsegg collection) is indeed a model Modartt did, but it's an 1899 piano, so not exactly the last scream of piano technology :)

6.4.1 just released, I hadn't upgraded to 6.4 yet, wow what another big difference. They got rid of that overt ringing in the lower notes. Much better. Highs sound better too.

functionform wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:27 pm 6.4.1 just released, I hadn't upgraded to 6.4 yet, wow what another big difference. They got rid of that overt ringing in the lower notes. Much better. Highs sound better too.
They’ve remodeled the Steinway’s too, they sound beautiful.

If you buy Pianoteq, what do you get with it? I could not find information that was clear for me on their site.

The new Bechstein is magnificent!

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:26 pm If you buy Pianoteq, what do you get with it? I could not find information that was clear for me on their site.
Usually, you got the Steinway D and the Pianoteq K2 piano (an "artificial" model). But it seems now you can choose any two with Stage, three with Standard and four with Pro:

"[1] During registration, you can choose two instrument packs with the Stage version, three with the Standard version and four with the PRO version."
Last edited by fmr on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:30 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:26 pm If you buy Pianoteq, what do you get with it? I could not find information that was clear for me on their site.
Usually, you got the Steinway D and the Pianoteq K piano (an "artificial" model). But it seems now you can choose any two with Stage, three with Standard and four with Pro:

"[1] During registration, you can choose two instrument packs with the Stage version, three with the Standard version and four with the PRO version."
Okay... So there isn't some standard set that you add those to. That is what was unclear for me. I figured buying the pro version would get you more than just 4 instruments.

simmo75 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:21 pm
functionform wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:27 pm 6.4.1 just released, I hadn't upgraded to 6.4 yet, wow what another big difference. They got rid of that overt ringing in the lower notes. Much better. Highs sound better too.
They’ve remodeled the Steinway’s too, they sound beautiful.
Quick correction - they didn't "remodel" it (it implies doing everything from scratch), they just revoiced it, which means tweaked the existing model somewhat.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:55 pmOkay... So there isn't some standard set that you add those to. That is what was unclear for me. I figured buying the pro version would get you more than just 4 instruments.
No, you get 4 packs to choose with Pro. Want more, you can buy individually, or, buying the Studio package gets you all the models.

What are 'packs'? I thought you could pick 4 individual instruments...

Yeah I meant that. Instrument = expansion pack, you can consider it like that.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:23 pm What are 'packs'? I thought you could pick 4 individual instruments...
Some packs may include more than one instrument, like it happens, for example, with the Electric Pianos, the Celeste, the Vibes, the Xylo, etc.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”