New Pianoteq v.6.1 update!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pianoteq Studio Bundle

Hi,

Modartt has updated Pianoteq to v.6.1. This is what Modartt says about this new version :-

“Version 6.1 introduces a new spatialisation technique which brings more air and presence to the instruments, increasing realism. Minor re-voicing has also been done on some instruments/presets.”

There are some audio clips comparing v.6.1 to v.6.0 here:-

https://www.pianoteq.com/listen_compari ... re=v60-v61

Not sure which presets are affected by this. I just know I took a couple of minutes to update and make sure it took... But didn't stop playing with it until hours later. 8)

It's cool they made it NKS - patches that don't use the whole keyboard are much easier to play using the light guide

anyway converted my mixed bag of patches to NKS too:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/prz04ihy4j6xl ... e.zip?dl=1

BBFG# wrote:Not sure which presets are affected by this. I just know I took a couple of minutes to update and make sure it took... But didn't stop playing with it until hours later. 8)
All factory presets are affected. Regarding your presets, here's from the horse's mouth:

"PTQ 6.1 applies your settings to the new instrument (including its "factory" changes), and overwrites the possible changes that were made at the UI level (user interface level) to the new version of the instrument. For example, some of the new presets include some changes in the EQU3 effect, to bring a bit more high frequencies. If your preset had a flat EQU3, then it will keep its flat EQU3.

In other words, what you obtain after loading your preset is:
- you get all the changes that were done at the factory level, such as the new spatialisation technique,
- you get none of the changes that were made at the UI level in the new presets."

I just updated and quickly checked how it sounds.
Well, it seems this update introduced phasing issues on certain keys :?

The most obvious example I found is D3 note, which is felt out of phase and off-centered in the stereo field, compared to C3 or E3 next to it.

Ex:
This is from K2 factory preset "Prelude" with all internal effects turned off (I intentionally changed an output setting from sound recording to stereophonic to make the issue clearly heard).
I recorded C3, D3 and E3 successively twice. The second note, D3, is felt hollowed and jumping to the left side to my ears.
https://soundcloud.com/user-143624654-4 ... -d3-and-e3

Another example. This is from W1(Wurlitzer) preset "Logical" with all effects off, but other settings are not changed this time.
Again, D3 is felt out of phase and off-centered.
https://soundcloud.com/user-143624654-4 ... -d3-and-e3
Anybody found the same issue? I'm using standalone Pianoteq and AU version in Logic X, by the way.

Being able to use Piantoteq integrated into my S Series keyboard now is very useful - the light guide makes it much easier to work with scales and the cool thing is it works with Pianoteq's own scales and keyboard mappings, not just the scales KK comes with.

I’m on a budget but am interested in Pianoteq 6.
Is the Stage version worth it? It sounds lush!

For me it‘s worth it: light on CPU, light on RAM, sits well in a mix.

Definitely worth it, and then some. Amazingly playable. Be sure to pick the right starting pack. I chose the Electric Pianos and Hohner bundle and then added the Steinway D and the Blüthner, which I simply adore.

Fleer wrote:Definitely worth it, and then some. Amazingly playable. Be sure to pick the right starting pack. I chose the Electric Pianos and Hohner bundle and then added the Steinway D and the Blüthner, which I simply adore.
Thanks Fleer. Do you have the stage version?

simmo75 wrote:I’m on a budget but am interested in Pianoteq 6.
Is the Stage version worth it? It sounds lush!
I have the Stage version, and think it is well worth it.
It's basically a 'player' version with the possibility for some editing.
If you need access to things like mic placement, then you're out of luck, but if you just need to edit things like velocity and some basic fx, then Stage does the job.

Thanks ftech, I’m pretty sold on it.

I keep thinking I might upgrade to the standard version, but then think I don't really need the extra editing possibilities, and the price difference could buy some nice expansions for Stage!

ftech wrote:I keep thinking I might upgrade to the standard version, but then think I don't really need the extra editing possibilities, and the price difference could buy some nice expansions for Stage!
I’ve been demoing both Stage and Standard, I just can’t really justify the money for Standard, but... that random button is pretty awesome!

simmo75 wrote:
ftech wrote:I keep thinking I might upgrade to the standard version, but then think I don't really need the extra editing possibilities, and the price difference could buy some nice expansions for Stage!
I’ve been demoing both Stage and Standard, I just can’t really justify the money for Standard, but... that random button is pretty awesome!
True!

Return to “Instruments”