Waveform 9 review...

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deleted double post
Last edited by Stuttaton on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deleted double post
Last edited by Stuttaton on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Robert Randolph wrote:I'd also like to know if you saw specific instances of me bringing up things that you think aren't applicable to the common user. I know that the multitrack editing feature I brought up at least 3 times may not be super common. Was there something else?

Any feedback you can provide I will happily note and refer to in future content. I really do value feedback from readers.
I'm not saying your criticism of certain functions is not valid. But you seem to think some of the features that I find really useful are of little or no value. The automatic note colouring for instance. It's a great help when you are writing songs.
And personally, I would like to see some functionality for writing lyrics before they put effort into rewriting some of their plugins, like you suggest them to do.[/quote][/quote]

Stuttaton wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:I'd also like to know if you saw specific instances of me bringing up things that you think aren't applicable to the common user. I know that the multitrack editing feature I brought up at least 3 times may not be super common. Was there something else?

Any feedback you can provide I will happily note and refer to in future content. I really do value feedback from readers.
I'm not saying your criticism of certain functions is not valid. But you seem to think some of the features that I find really useful are of little or no value. The automatic note colouring for instance. It's a great help when you are writing songs.
And personally, I would like to see some functionality for writing lyrics before they put effort into rewriting some of their plugins, like you suggest them to do.
Lyric functionality would be great, I agree.

I just use a separate program for that (http://figure53.com/streamers/), but my use is to show lyrics to performers, not to write.

What sort of features would you like to see for lyrics writing? I haven't seen a discussion about this.

Robert Randolph wrote:
Stuttaton wrote:

And personally, I would like to see some functionality for writing lyrics before they put effort into rewriting some of their plugins, like you suggest them to do.
Lyric functionality would be great, I agree.

I just use a separate program for that (http://figure53.com/streamers/), but my use is to show lyrics to performers, not to write.

What sort of features would you like to see for lyrics writing? I haven't seen a discussion about this.
There was one recently, a bit down in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=501918

Robert Randolph wrote:Windows

Windows 10 (updated). Waveform 9.0.39b.

Interface: Focusrite Clarett 8preX at 128 sample buffer size. 44,100 sample rate.

Waveform Compensated

First, Waveform reports -2.1ms latency, which is wrong.
Negative delays are generally pretty suspicious. ;)
I encountered this exact behaviour a while ago on my windows machine and wondered why the auto-detect feature would give me a negative value. I contacted support and they pointed me to the problem/solution.

So it can happen when there is some internal loopback set up within the audio interface's software mixer. In my case it was a MOTU 8 Pre USB interface. Within it's mixer app, I had the setting "Mix 1 return includes computer output" enabled (don't have the exact wording of it in front of me right now). Disabling this internal loopback gave me plausible positive delay values straight away. So it seemed that now it was really truly evaluating the signal coming in from my physical loopback.

I have however not checked whether in the following the detected delay value resulted in sample accurate delay compensation or not. So I'm not saying the delay detection/compensation is working perfectly. It might well be that independently of my routing issue there is still an independent other issue or something to improve in the delay detection/compensation method.

I just wanted to point out that there may be some nasty routing issue which is overlooked.

MidiN wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:Windows

Windows 10 (updated). Waveform 9.0.39b.

Interface: Focusrite Clarett 8preX at 128 sample buffer size. 44,100 sample rate.

Waveform Compensated

First, Waveform reports -2.1ms latency, which is wrong.
Negative delays are generally pretty suspicious. ;)
I encountered this exact behaviour a while ago on my windows machine and wondered why the auto-detect feature would give me a negative value. I contacted support and they pointed me to the problem/solution.

So it can happen when there is some internal loopback set up within the audio interface's software mixer. In my case it was a MOTU 8 Pre USB interface. Within it's mixer app, I had the setting "Mix 1 return includes computer output" enabled (don't have the exact wording of it in front of me right now). Disabling this internal loopback gave me plausible positive delay values straight away. So it seemed that now it was really truly evaluating the signal coming in from my physical loopback.

I have however not checked whether in the following the detected delay value resulted in sample accurate delay compensation or not. So I'm not saying the delay detection/compensation is working perfectly. It might well be that independently of my routing issue there is still an independent other issue or something to improve in the delay detection/compensation method.

I just wanted to point out that there may be some nasty routing issue which is overlooked.
Thank you for the note, but I did have the similar functionality in my interface driver turned off.

Return to “Tracktion”