Waveform 9 review...

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

well, we all are a lot different.
some are sensitive to emotion, I am no more.
I just would not believe a word (in general).
I see issues mentioned, and I see the structure that is being described anyway, and I tell myself "ok now I will take a look if I can overcome that stuff and take my very own approach to all these matters"..
it really depends on the mindset, how someone is taking the splash, and swims in the wild waters.
a critical review by someone who obviously enjoys being critical, is just a touch of reality preferred to a sugar coat.
I appreciate it a lot, but firsthand it tells about the person at least as much as about the object of description.
the most useful thing to me seems that someone examines stuff in detail, and starts a comprehensive discussion.
no one is forced to anything by this.

Nevertheless, such a review can have a very destructive effect (especially for a small company like Tracktion) and someone, who writes something like this and make it public, should be very aware of such a liability and should choose the words very very careful...

Sadly I do not notice anything of this wariness in the bespoken review...

Trancit wrote:Nevertheless, such a review can have a very destructive effect (especially for a small company like Tracktion) and someone, who writes something like this and make it public, should be very aware of such a liability and should choose the words very very careful...

I don't know. I don't think it's been so bad thus far. There ARE issues with Tracktion, and I think a potential customer being aware of potential issues is a better thing, not worse. And he does give Fair Play to the things that are good/great/unique.

Think of it this way. The forum is open to the public. I usually hit forums if I'm going to make a major investment of time or money into a piece of music software. What is the impression someone would form if they did a bit of research by coming here? I'd wager that the impression would be less balanced than the reviews have been (forums being what they are).

Or, for example what if someone is really geeked about the chord track and that's enough to push them over the edge to buy it....then they run into the issues cited in the review. Instant frustration, perhaps feelings of ill will, and someone out there pissed and bad mouthing W9. With the info in the review, they can make an informed decision and either buy knowing what they are getting, or deciding to wait.

Lastly, there's the free W9 demo. Hopefully, he'll caveat his observations with "but ultimately you should give it a try yourself via the free demo to see how it works in toto to decide." Or something like that because...well that's the best way to decide if the good out weighs the bad for a particular use case.

He puts the articles here for us to critique to make sure he is not spreading disinformation, and he has gone back to correct things, and he makes it clear that some of his issues are his issues and may not apply to everyone. I'm not sure what else he should do... If only all reviewers were so interactive in my book.
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

Trancit wrote:Nevertheless, such a review can have a very destructive effect (especially for a small company like Tracktion) and someone, who writes something like this and make it public, should be very aware of such a liability and should choose the words very very careful...

Firstly, as the author, I agree with you. I am more emotive in the negative parts, and that's actually largely something that people read my website for. I have my own style and I'm ok with that.

Secondly, I speak with a lot of my readers frequently and the response to the Waveform series has been exceptionally positive. In all the review-like content I've done, nothing has been more positively received than Waveform.

I am being as honest as I can about how I feel and experience the software. I also strive for technical correctness and am always open to criticism and corrections. If you don't like my writing style then please give me examples and I'll consider how I can improve the phrasing without impacting what I feel is my honest reactions. I have changed phrasings to be less (or more!) negative at the request of readers and developers. Just point it out and we can have a dialogue.

About part 4, and chord tracks, specifically ;

"Another strange thing about the chord track is that it allows you to enter progressions, but each chord is 1 bar long. I can’t find any way to change the length of the chord. "

You just drag the little white bar between the chord in the progression, in the chord track, to whatever size you need them to be ... eg ;
chordtrack.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

Or use multiple ones with different lengths.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

chico.co.uk wrote:About part 4, and chord tracks, specifically ;

"Another strange thing about the chord track is that it allows you to enter progressions, but each chord is 1 bar long. I can’t find any way to change the length of the chord. "

You just drag the little white bar between the chord in the progression, in the chord track, to whatever size you need them to be ... eg ;
chordtrack.JPG
I do not have that bar in my chord clips.

hmm.

EDIT: I see. You have to increase the length of the chord clip beyond one bar to be able to access extra chords. That's a bit odd.

I'll update the post to reflect this information, thank you.

jabe wrote:Or use multiple ones with different lengths.
The issue with that, at least from a review perspective, is that you lose the benefit of retaining a 'progression' as a single entity. You also become unable to use the chord suggestion feature.

I have added a note about this to the post though.

Thank you chico and jabe! :party:

Robert Randolph wrote:
chico.co.uk wrote:About part 4, and chord tracks, specifically ;

chordtrack.JPG
I do not have that bar in my chord clips.
You'll need to click on it before you can drag it.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Robert Randolph wrote:
jabe wrote:Or use multiple ones with different lengths.
The issue with that, at least from a review perspective, is that you lose the benefit of retaining a 'progression' as a single entity. You also become unable to use the chord suggestion feature.

I have added a note about this to the post though.

Thank you chico and jabe! :party:
I've become puzzled - it was what I tried in Waveform 8 when I didn't know about the slider option and when I found that changing the length (somewhere in the Properties Panel) from one bar to less retrospectively changed all previous chord durations. Now, however, I can't find how to change the lengths in the Properties Panel in either Waveform 8 or 9).

As goes for MIDI Multi-Editing, the eye option is active only when MIDI clip is not selected otherwise all MIDI notes from the selected clip are visible.

MBO wrote:As goes for MIDI Multi-Editing, the eye option is active only when MIDI clip is not selected otherwise all MIDI notes from the selected clip are visible.
I'm sorry, I don't understand this. If the MIDI Clip is not selected, then it's not in the list at all isn't it?

Well, I mean selected from the clip list in the MIDI editor window.

Return to “Tracktion”