Need feedback on our music [Retro Electro, Synthwave]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Me and a friend of mine started making music about 6 weeks ago without any prior music related experience/knowledge. We've goofed around in the FL studio for like a week and made 3 crap songs while we were learning the required software/plugins and how music works.

Now 5 weeks later, we are about to release our debut EP album (Waiting for album art and band logo).

Before we finalize and release the tracks, we would love to get some feedback, so we can fix the tracks if there's something wrong with them before it's too late, or polish them even further =)

Anyway, here is the link for our stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/biggamehuntermus ... -1/s-M8FG0

Thanks a lot in advance.

PS : If you are interested in how far we've actually improved, I can send the links of our crap songs via PM on request =)
Last edited by biggamehunter on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

only listened to first song and well.... you sure captured that 80s
cheap boombox playing a cassette tape sound goin on :tu:

composition was ok fit for a late 80s driving
video game
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

biggamehunter wrote:Me and a friend of mine started making music about 6 weeks ago without any prior music related experience/knowledge.
Now 5 weeks later, we are about to release our debut EP album
:lol:

I’m sorry, I shouldn’t laugh. It is clear that the two of you are truly dedicated to learning your craft.

:lol:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

=) well. Instead of playing video games and watching tv shows for like 6-8 hours a day, we actively tried to improve and learn new stuff. There is still a long way to go obviously, but we consider we've made a decent progress (As I mentioned in my original post, our first 3 tracks... It's a disastah! /tobiwan mode)

I also think songs are way better now because the songs in the soundcloud links are kinda outdated. (considering we've made an EP album in about a month, 5 days can change a lot hehe)

We've tweaked some stuff here and there, changed some stuff in the mix, and also remastered every track. I think the final versions will be shared when the album is out though.

edit : Actually what the hell, I've uploaded the latest version of the album and changed the link in my original post. We still need feedback on any version of the album so...

My point is that you project a sort of naive hubris here. I’m inclined to think that most budding musicians, never having crafted a song before in their lives, might feel inclined to work at their newfound craft just a tad bit longer before declaring their creative output ready to unleash upon the world. It is totally reasonable to expect that you’ll produce *a lot* of utter drivel in the early stages of your career. We all have to go through that stage. I find it amusing that, a month and a half in, you already have your “EP” ready to go. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound condescending, although I don’t really know how I could be anything but. I think it’s awesome that you’re both so excited about making music. But maybe, just maybe, focus more on putting in the time, doing the work, and less on putting out a product. Just my smartass two cents... you can take it or leave it.

Ah. I see your point now. And that's totally valid. Even if you're condecending, you have every right to be, I mean that. The thing is, hmm, how do I put this.

I'm a software engineer and in the past 3 to 4 years, I've worked on game development. I've made some small games in game jams, and made some small games of my own. But the part that's interesting is, I don't have a single officially released game. When I was learning game development and game design, as I was building the game I've imagined, there was this constant state of "Oh I've learned this and this today and this allows me add x to the game. I've figured out a solution for this problem which lets me add this to the game aswell." etc. the list goes on. At one point I've learned that you can't make everything perfect or add everything to the game, because it would take infinite amount of time, and you have to release the game at some point.

When we started out making music, I've told myself that "I won't let this be like my game development adventure. If it sounds good to you, you're going to release it."

This sounds like a lame ass excuse to release an album in 2 months, which is as long as the band existed. especially for some guys with 0 background on music. What I'm trying to tell is, especially because we've started out recently, I feel like no matter how much time we put into it, we won't make it perfect or even maybe remotely good. As we are learning new cool stuff and tricks about composing and production, we are trying to apply them wherever possible. Sometimes we learn that the "good" thing we've learned a week ago is a flat out lie etc.

So anyway, if we've decided to wait until we are experienced and good at the stuff we do, and confident in our work, well you guessed it right, we won't have anything released, ever. Because as far as I can see from my perspective (which may be extremely narrow), there is no ceiling on this thing and I don't know the threshold of "When you have this amount of experience and spend this much time on a project, it will be good."

I really appreciate your insight and actually, we've already discussed this situation like 2 weeks ago. After our debut we are not planning on going like "Hey lets make a new track every week then when we have a certain number of tracks, release it.". I see the errors of that approach. We think we are just gonna get better over time, naturally, by doing what we do. But for now, if it sounds good to us and we get some positive feedback, we will just release it before the hype inside us is dead, for now and for this debut album only. =)

Thanks again.

If it sounds good, it is good - and it sounds good to me :phones:.

Go for it, get it out there - the only feedback that really counts is from Joe Public :tu:.

Well, as long as you’re self-aware if what you’re doing, more power than you! And for sure, you’ll continue to improve the more work you do. The same can of course be said for the rest of us too. No arrogance on my part... I’ve been doing this for decades and I still suck! Lol.

OP: two comments:

1. Why are you only allowing for two extreme positions? Try to find a moderation point between "never release finished product due to obsessive perfectionism" and "prematurely release material because of fearing never releasing anything". :-)

2. I read your user name as "bigamy hunter", rather than "big game hunter". Maybe it's because I'm a vegan polyamorous person, and that's all that came to mind at first when I read the username, ha ha... Some capital letters might be of use there ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I'm glad you liked it mrcleats.

@Jace

1- Even though -legally speaking- we are far from being kids, we are basically 2 kids when it comes to certain aspects of life. We just haven't had enough life experience to learn that "sweet spot" yet, in some particular fields we pursue. As the time goes by, we hope we will eventually grasp it.

2- I don't think we can change our nicknames. I wish I thought of that earlier =(

I have been listening to a lot of synthwave lately. You nail it well. I'm not sure what to make of you only having 6 weeks of music experience. I find that hard to believe with the production elements that you have in these pieces. Not saying these are the most amazing pieces ever but they are solid. Perhaps you mean 6 weeks of recording experience and not music experience?
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

biggamehunter wrote: @Jace

1- Even though -legally speaking- we are far from being kids, we are basically 2 kids when it comes to certain aspects of life. We just haven't had enough life experience to learn that "sweet spot" yet, in some particular fields we pursue. As the time goes by, we hope we will eventually grasp it.
I wish you well in this endeavor :-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I never - almost never, anyway - diss here, but your clickbait intro to this, that you're not interested in learning music just copying some new fad (which is not that hard to suss evidently) is too much. Sure, just get an arpeggiator and hit the on button, yeah. Gave me a headache.

Jace-BeOS wrote: 2. I read your user name as "bigamy hunter", rather than "big game hunter". Maybe it's because I'm a vegan polyamorous person, and that's all that came to mind at first when I read the username, ha ha... Some capital letters might be of use there ;-)
are vegans allowed to hunt? What do you hunt?

Return to “Music Cafe”