Looking for some advice on a deep house track.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everybody,

I've been working on a deep house track for a while now. And i'm looking for some general advice on the mix so far. Also some advice on how i could progress the song would be welcome. I always seem to get stuck after making the intro and the chorus... Finishing tracks is probably my weakest point in music production, so if any one got some tips on that, feel free to share them. :pray:

Soundcloud link : https://soundcloud.com/rowbance/rowbance-hayesville-wip

Thanks for listening !

I like the main groove, but the part from 1:05 - 1:13 repeats too many times without developing.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

When it comes to mix, way too much low mids.

If you have problems with arrangements in deep house, don't start from intro. Start with multiple ideas. Anyway, I find the intro pretty fine - now add break, then finale with some bigger motiff.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Rowbance wrote:Finishing tracks is probably my weakest point in music production, so if any one got some tips on that, feel free to share them. :pray:
Then it's the part that you should practice the most ;) Make lots of finished tracks. No matter if even you think that they're crap. Just finish them, save them and forget them in some folder until you someday find them and be like "hey I like the idea here". And up to soundcloud if they turn up good.

You can try to make some easy arrangement like intro, build, drop, break, build, drop, outro. Make those drops first and then just build things around them. Don't want your songs to be repetitive? Work in 8 or 16 bar loops. Then make every loop a bit different. Nothing radical though.

The basic track is cool but would be better if you add some more elements to it sooner.
I like to alter things around even if it is basically the same.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

layzer wrote:I like the main groove, but the part from 1:05 - 1:13 repeats too many times without developing.
Alright thanks for the advice. I tried to make it more interesting by upping the cutoff on the bass every 16 bars. Maybe i could make that more noticable. And i'll see if i can add some extra sounds.

DJ Warmonger wrote:When it comes to mix, way too much low mids.

If you have problems with arrangements in deep house, don't start from intro. Start with multiple ideas. Anyway, I find the intro pretty fine - now add break, then finale with some bigger motiff.
Thanks for your respons. Yeah the low mids are indeed a bit to loud now that you mention it. I'm pretty sure you're talking about the chords that are playing. Should be able to fix that with some EQ :)

I'll try and follow the structure you mentioned with the break and finale. Seems like the right way to go.

Allomerus wrote:The basic track is cool but would be better if you add some more elements to it sooner.
I like to alter things around even if it is basically the same.
:)
thx man. I'll keep that in mind when working on the track again. Maybe some more melodic elements would be nice during the buildup/intro.

Distorted Horizon wrote:
Rowbance wrote:Finishing tracks is probably my weakest point in music production, so if any one got some tips on that, feel free to share them. :pray:
Then it's the part that you should practice the most ;) Make lots of finished tracks. No matter if even you think that they're crap. Just finish them, save them and forget them in some folder until you someday find them and be like "hey I like the idea here". And up to soundcloud if they turn up good.
Thanks for the tips! It easier said then done for me to finish lots of tracks.. Maybe i should try and change my workflow. Cause i've noticed that i spend to much time on little details instead of building out the track. Some people say they can finish tracks in a day or two. Wish i could say the same. :hihi:

Rowbance wrote:Maybe i should try and change my workflow. Cause i've noticed that i spend to much time on little details instead of building out the track. Some people say they can finish tracks in a day or two. Wish i could say the same. :hihi:
Definitely! Analyzing your own behavior can lead to success. IF I have time, I can make a song in a day or two. But usually I don't have so it takes around 2-4 weeks :P (my musical "day" is around 3-4 hours in the evening).

You can try different things, what suits you the best. Maybe use some time to make a perfect 16 bar loop. Then quickly make an arrangement, without giving too much notice to details. Then back to details to make the whole piece more alive and complete etc etc.

Or begin from the intro. Then build, idea after idea leading to the most thrilling point.. Then focus to the details.

Or begin from the outro :hihi:

There's no limits. Try everything crazy. Eventually that all makes you sound you.

Return to “Music Cafe”