Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Hanz Meyzer
KVRian

684 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Postby Hanz Meyzer; Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:28 am Hanz Meyzer - Super 8 (Synthwave)

Hi, made a new song, "Super 8":
https://soundcloud.com/hanzmeyzer/super8

Kind of lazerbrass and panflute 80s song. Hope you enjoy! Please let me know.
biodiode
KVRist

332 posts since 23 Sep, 2003, from UK

Postby biodiode; Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:34 am Re: Hanz Meyzer - Super 8 (Synthwave)

Classic 80's electronic drum groove and sounds on this track, think you nailed the vibe. There does seem to be parts that don't seem to gel like around the 2 minutes 10 mark, a lot of clashing notes which sound out of place to these ears.
layzer
KVRAF

5116 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:35 pm Re: Hanz Meyzer - Super 8 (Synthwave)

biodiode wrote:a lot of clashing notes which sound out of place to these ears.

yep. melodic flow is a skill. all too often random stabbing up and down the scale turns a track into an instrument "demo"

good production on it, however :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
ChamMusic
KVRist

390 posts since 12 Jun, 2006, from Birmingham, UK

Postby ChamMusic; Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:03 am Re: Hanz Meyzer - Super 8 (Synthwave)

Very effective 80s vibe...a bit Miama Vice at times!

Great sound combinations and subtle changes of texture.

For me, it was the melodic content that didn't quite work at the same high level as the other elements.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

7582 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:18 am Re: Hanz Meyzer - Super 8 (Synthwave)

I disagree with comments that Im reading as disharmony.

Every note fitted. The constant changes through the tune of taking the lead line to yet another preset made it sound a bit demo like though, as already mentioned.

The tune pumps too much for an 80s tune, there was no pumping back then just well spaced and balanced sounds. This is like a sack crammed full of textures vying for space and attention.
vurt
addled muppet weed

35014 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:52 pm Re: Hanz Meyzer - Super 8 (Synthwave)

VariKusBrainZ wrote: there was no pumping back then

not for you perhaps but i was young n handsome back then!

but yeah, i agree, less authentic 80s and more the retro 80s of miss kittin and the hacker et al...

which if you ask me, is still cool 8)

nice track :)
ChamMusic
KVRist

390 posts since 12 Jun, 2006, from Birmingham, UK

Postby ChamMusic; Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:53 pm Re: Hanz Meyzer - Super 8 (Synthwave)

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I disagree with comments that Im reading as disharmony.

Every note fitted. The constant changes through the tune of taking the lead line to yet another preset made it sound a bit demo like though, as already mentioned.

The tune pumps too much for an 80s tune, there was no pumping back then just well spaced and balanced sounds. This is like a sack crammed full of textures vying for space and attention.

Right / wrong notes in music is a tricky topic...one that I once wrote a very long essay on! :0)

Maybe appropriate / inappropriate is better?

Either way, this piece is clearly mainstream tonal with clear and simple chords below the melody.

Most of the time, the chosen melody notes link directly and strongly to those underlying chords.

Within this context, a significant number of melody note choices can only be described as unexpected and surprising...I would definitely go as far as inappropriate for the style of piece.

'Pumping' definitely existed in the 1980s - particularly on those electronic drum sounds at times...find an old SSL desk and put something through the 'Talk-back' compressor and you'll hear that awesome Phil Collins pumping' drum sound!
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
Hanz Meyzer
KVRian

684 posts since 20 Oct, 2014

Postby Hanz Meyzer; Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:32 am Re: Hanz Meyzer - Super 8 (Synthwave)

Guys, it's a soft Synthwave song, not 80s. Did you listen to Synthwave before? It pumps like hell. Also your face is a demo.

Just joking. Thanks for the feedback. I especially liked that "demo" character, lacking of a real melody. Seem to be alone with that.

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe