Side chain action

Discussion about: tracktion.com
jochicago
KVRian
770 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Post Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:25 pm

(I'm on Tracktion 7)

I'm trying to apply a 'ducked' reverb (compressed side chain) to a track.

The image attached is how I got it going. I'm using a rack on the same track. I'm creating a second pathway that goes into OrilRiver reverb. I'm using the Tracktion compressor to apply the main pathway as the side chain for the compressor. This works.

Qs:
- Am I making this too cumbersome? Is there a better way to make side chains in Tracktion?
- I would rather use a compressor of preference. How can I wire this side chain without using the Tracktion compressor?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jochicago
KVRian

Re: Side chain action

Post Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 pm

More notes:
To avoid putting everything into a rack
I believe I can use an Aux Send to copy the pathway to another track. On the second track I put an Aux Return, and then can apply the second pathway there using the same effects, finishing with any compressor that can receive a side chain.

This makes a bit more sense to me because I like seeing the tracks and effects without having to go into a rack.

dRowAudio
KVRAF
1507 posts since 30 Dec, 2012

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:39 am

I think you're overcomplicating this. If you simply add the Compressor to a track, select it and enable "Use Sidechain Trigger", an option will appear to select the sidechain source track.

jochicago
KVRian

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:38 am

I want both tracks. The original, and a separate ducked reverb. If I add the compressor in the pathway of track #1, wouldn't it apply to that entire pathway, meaning that I would end up with ducked reverb as the sole output of that track (losing the original audio)?

HansP
KVRist
196 posts since 9 Sep, 2017

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:15 am

I do this differently with good results.

I put a multiband compressor BEFORE the reverb input, so no sidechain is needed.
I am compressing the higher frequencies DOWN, and upper mid-range somewhat less.
This will suppress sibilants from the reverb already on input. Works great.

Then also, I have sort of "Browerized" ducking.
I have a midrange bus for some instruments and some "space" reverbs.
Another bus is vocals (with intrinsic effect reverbs and delays).
Another is bass and drums.

I duck the midrange bus with the main vocals, and sometimes also with mixing in of the snare to that side chain.
Kick ducks the bass within the D & B bus.

It is very difficult to get the ducking sync correctly. The reaper compressor allows me a lookahead.
I am using test signals and check the waveform to see the sync.

jochicago
KVRian

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Thanks for your notes. I'll experiment.

exponent1
KVRist
299 posts since 10 Nov, 2018

Post Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:39 am

dRowAudio wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:39 am
I think you're overcomplicating this. If you simply add the Compressor to a track, select it and enable "Use Sidechain Trigger", an option will appear to select the sidechain source track.
This doesn't work well with submixes. When I put a compressor on a submix and take its input from another track, the individual panning of the tracks of the submix becomes irrelevant and everything is centered no matter how I pan the contained tracks. This is a major bug and is deal breaker for me as regards to sidechain inputs in Waveform 10.

Return to “Tracktion”