Crust [pre-alpha]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello people!
I want to share with you one of my projects, a VA polyphonic synth called Crust. It's in an ongoing development, though pretty capable. I've been using it for quite a while in my productions for bass, pads and chaotic structures. Recently, I've updated it with a couple of nice ZDF filters and decided that it's juicy enough to release.

Download: VST & standalone for Win and Mac, AU.
NB: Thank you all for testing! It is a pre-alpha, so it might have some bugs. While submitting reports, please don't forget the DAW and OS info.

In Crust some traditional features are more versatile. For instance, phase bending range is flexible. Oscillator tune, phase distortion, pan and filter cutoff have adjustable shiver with optional sync modes, which allows for making Boards-of-Canada-like atmospheres. And there's a separate phase knob for adding magnetic tape flutter to the sound. FM source can be an external signal. AM carrier too can be an external signal or internal filtered noise generator; those of you who like modern techno stuff like Emptyset may enjoy that :)
All controls are MIDI-automatable, MIDI map is saved with projects.

Check out the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xrgGQnQEc

Here are also some demos (the sound is mostly not dry though, usually at least some reverb is put on top):
https://soundcloud.com/crimsonbrain/sets/crust

In the future I'd like to add stuff, e.g. mod matrix, and improve some things (Crust is not on a low CPU diet at the moment). Also many params have quite a wide range, and as a result you can not only create beautiful sounds but get exposed to aliasing for instance. Although Crust has adjustable osc oversampling, btw.

Here's the overview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuE3zsLsaDc

If you like Crust and want to support the development, here are some options:
https://patreon.com/EugeneYakshin
Last edited by 1eqinfinity on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:36 am, edited 11 times in total.

Thanks mate! Sounds good. Will have a go later---

Ooh, thank you!

Funnily enough, I was going to post in the Ribs thread to ask what the 'Crust demos' were when I spotted them on your Soundcloud last night. Look forward to checking it out. Cheers!

Upd: version 0.7.2 shoud be correctly identified as an instrument in any DAW.

Sounds promising! I hope that isn't the final UI though...

Thank you
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Cant get any sound in bitwig

ere2learn wrote:Cant get any sound in bitwig
I've updated it to v7.0.2, try this one please. The same download link.

Tried v7.0.2,all controls work but still no sound

That's funny. I'll investigate. I also have reports about some strange behavior in Renoise and even in Mac version of Ableton :/

Had a mess around with it on Reaper (Window 10 x64) and once I got my head around what does what, it sounds pretty good. :tu: What's a Shiver though? I figured so far it works like a LFO... :shrug:

Thank you once again for kindly giving us the community a great free instrument.

I am really curious to try this out, love the idea of the detune effects. Unfortunately it crashes in Renoise straight away. Tried both the 64 and 32 bit versions but same deal. Would love to take this for a spin though.

I've added the overview video to the topic.
Drew Lake wrote:Had a mess around with it on Reaper (Window 10 x64) and once I got my head around what does what, it sounds pretty good. :tu: What's a Shiver though? I figured so far it works like a LFO... :shrug:

Thank you once again for kindly giving us the community a great free instrument.
I'm glad you like it :) Shiver is kind of LFO, but a noisy one. It makes parameter values emmm...shiver :) Like it shakes around a set value in a chaotic fashion. There's an explanation in the new video @01:55. I'd like to add several more types in the future like sine and square waves, exponential jitters, etc. I've chose that name for the parameter long ago. Idk, maybe "jitter" is a better fit.
skyscape wrote:I am really curious to try this out, love the idea of the detune effects. Unfortunately it crashes in Renoise straight away. Tried both the 64 and 32 bit versions but same deal. Would love to take this for a spin though.
Yes, I have one more report from another user of Renoise with the same problem. I've installed it and was surprised to see what happens. I'm working on it :)

No sound here either. energyXT 3.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Yeah, I'm just getting these crappy pops and crackles no matter what I do. I think this baby might need some more fine-tuning before being unleashed out into the world.

Return to “Instruments”