SSL Bus comp shootout: Hardware SSL FX G384 VS The Glue VS IK Bus Comp VS Melda MTurboComp

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Which files have been processed using the hardware SSL FX G384? A,B,C or D?

A are the hardware processed files
20%
B are the hardware processed files
12%
C are the hardware processed files
12%
D are the hardware processed files
56%

Total votes: 25

alteregoxxx
KVRist
371 posts since 19 Sep, 2005

Post Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 am

Hello,
just to expand what started with the LA2A topic (see here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=502747&p=7049534#p7049534)
Let's do it in a similar way, but this time with the famous SSL Bus compressor and without revealing which file has been processed using the hardware :o :o

Following you'll find 4 audio files of the same drum loop; 1 of them one has been processed with an hardware SSL FX G384, the remaining 3 have been processed using the following plugins:

-Cytomic The Glue
-MTurboComp by MeldaProduction
-IK Bus Compressor

Settings used: Ratio 4, Attack 3ms, release 0.3 (0.2 for The Glue, because it doesn't have the release times of the original hardware), gain reduction hitting 8db

Here:

Drums A- https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qUdDl ... f-XlNuLia_

Drums B- https://drive.google.com/open?id=17mUfC ... Vrga0BcZql

Drums C- https://drive.google.com/open?id=16SpGq ... zR_C4JlKvZ

Drums D- https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ttmTZ ... MjsXd-Casq

Then, let's add also 4 audio files of a full mix processing....this time settings used are as following: Ratio 4, Attack 10ms, release 0.3, the gain reduction hitting 4db

Find them here:

Full mix A- https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EokER ... D_K0tPEqu-

Full mix B- https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eeVo9 ... -8WwcXRA1d

Full mix C- https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uygWp ... x4aOCn2CSp

Full mix D- https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H682s ... XrmqX_6XPI

Obviously association between a letter (A,B,C,D) and the specific plugin or hardware associated with it, is the same for both examples, drum and full mix.

N.B.
For this test and also for the LA2A comparison of the other topic, the dry samples and the hardware processed versions are not my own files: they are from other users on other forums I usually attend, hence publicly available.
Plugin processed versions have been created by me using the uncompressed source dry file.
For the source/hardware processed material chose, obviously, I've selected only cases that met the following criteria:

1) Had dry source file and hardware processed file in uncompressed format, read .wav
2) Had clearly declared processing settings (attack, ratio, threshold, gain reduction etc etc)

Everglide
KVRist
398 posts since 6 Mar, 2013

Re: SSL Bus comp shootout: Hardware SSL FX G384 VS The Glue VS IK Bus Comp VS Melda MTurboComp

Post Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 am

wowsers, real audio examples on KVR :love:

Everglide
KVRist
398 posts since 6 Mar, 2013

Re: SSL Bus comp shootout: Hardware SSL FX G384 VS The Glue VS IK Bus Comp VS Melda MTurboComp

Post Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:21 am

With only listening to the drums, D for the hardware processed.

If I had to pick a closes match, then B

Thank you for doing this, I enjoyed the challenge and look forward to the results.

Mr. Spock
KVRist
92 posts since 4 May, 2016

Post Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:14 pm

will check in the studio tomorrow. thanks for doing these!

Robert Randolph
KVRAF
2172 posts since 25 May, 2003 from Saint Petersburg, Florida

Post Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:26 pm

I don't care which is which, but I like D the best.
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

Recourt
KVRist
49 posts since 25 Jun, 2014

Post Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Would've been cool to include NI's Solid Bus Comp. It's a better emu than some of these IMHO.

Mr. Spock
KVRist

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:28 am

This one is tougher than the La2A blind test IMO. I also vote for D as the hardware.

When are you posting results? PM possible? ;)

Mr. Spock
KVRist

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:54 am

Funny, I just reinstalled MTurbo Comp (I have a MTotalbundle license) and realize that it does sound great!

I also prefer easier, to the point GUIs, that's why I usually use Melda plugins more for creative purposes or tools that I don't find anywehere else, might have to test this one more (same goes for TurboEQ)

kobal
KVRist
176 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:57 am

drum d and b sound best, , i would say D and B there is the hardware and melda ,
the glue with a faster release time can be (lot) advantaged in a test like this so maybe it s one of these

for the game i will go with D melda and B hardware

A and C just sound bad setup like this.

some points, i doubt you can trust interface settings and Gr meters with the different plugins

melda comp can be great but it's easy to make it sound bad with all the settings available

RafaelMorgan
KVRist
138 posts since 14 May, 2008

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:22 am

You should also check DMG's Trackcomp. It's got an SSL type option and it sounds beautiful, in my opinion.

Boone777
KVRian
701 posts since 8 Aug, 2011

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:19 am

Air windows SSL is free and interesting sounding but not a 1:1 clone.
Win 7, 64Bit, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 5.965, Steinberg MR816x

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
5975 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:14 pm

Only listened to drums so far. Any of these sound in the ballpark to me. C seemed to do a better job catching peaks, so if I wanted to get max volume, that'd probably be where I go. It's also a bit cleaner. My guess is this is the hardware. D was my favorite on the drum test though. Sounded a little bigger that the others. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe that was The Glue with the slightly faster release. A and B sounded very close to each other to me. My order from most favorite to least favorite was D, C, then A or B (didn't matter).

I agree fully with the poster who said this was a much harder test than the LA-2A example. The differences between those unites were much greater than the differences here.

I'll listen to the mix test later before voting.

alteregoxxx
KVRist

Post Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:51 pm

Hello, as already done in the LA2A topic, i'd like to clarify that I've tried to accurately evaluate the gain reduction each plugin was performing not by looking at the Vu Meter/peak meters of the involved plugins. That method would have been wrong for various reasons:

1)Each plugin has it's own kind of meter, VU vs PeakMeter come to my mind as simple example and, as we all know, they give very different readings; still, 2 plugins having both "VU like" meters could have their implementation slightly/greatly different, hence giving again different results.

2)Each developer take on emulating a specific hardware comp, despite being accurate, could have (read surely will have...), slightly different threshold point/knee/ratio compared to another one, and that's unavoidable, because this happens also between two instance of the same hardware compressor model. Some GR technologies/circuit topologies (ex. VCA based compressors) are USUALLY less affected by this, still you have to consider electronic components tolerances etc etc etc.

Hence, i decided to use the following aproach:

1) From a "source" track, I've sent a low level (-50dBfs) test tone signal to all the DAW channels where I had placed the various instances of the plugins we are evaluating here.
2)Keeping the threshold knob of all the SSL emulations plugin at max, I made sure no GR was happening in any of them (comparing the dBfs meter reading of the source track to the dbfs meter readings of the daw mixer channels of all the Ssl emulations)
3)Adjusted the threshold knob of each plugin at the same value (ex. - 20dB)
5)Using the plugin MCompare by MeldaProduction,a plugin able to automatically make a processed track to match the loudness of a reference track applying a certain scale/boost of linear gain, I took note of the gain scaling/boosting applied by MCompare to each Ssl emulation plugin to have the same loudness of the dry track and modified the threshold knob until the gain scaling/boost required was the same for all of them: boom! that way you're sure that each plugin is effectively applying the same amount of gain reduction :)

kobal
KVRist
176 posts since 5 Jul, 2004

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:42 am

when you gonna give the result? :)

alteregoxxx
KVRist

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:41 am

kobal wrote:when you gonna give the result? :)
I would like to wait still a little bit: only 5 persons have partecipated to the poll! :(
No offence, but some times it seems that KVR forum is full of experts able to hear the rustle of a butterfly's wings 10 kilometers away, still they disappear as soon as someone posts some audio and ask opinions on a blind test

I would like to add that, as a mix engineer from more than 15 years, in this particular test, using the blind test feature of the Melda MCompare plugin, on 40 tentatives, the percentage of times I'm able to recognize the hardware version, is about 25%: in other words, considering we have 4 plugins involved, I'm not able to recognize any of the processed version as being the one processed with this or that specific plugin/hardware (100% divided by 4 = 25%). This is the only right way it should be done: guessing right the hardware 1-2 or 3 times in a row, is possible for everyone, me included. But as soon as the number of guessing tentatives goes up, you'll find that the chance you'll be wrong will rise up too.

It's like flipping a coin...Everyone is able to guess one or two times in a row, but that will not make you the new Nostradamus prophet/clairvoyant... :roll:
In other words, for my ears, all the involved plugins are excellent (or good enough, for the bats ears :roll: ) in emulating the SSL hardware. Now consider that here we have the drum track "alone"...put that in a mix and the reall really really subtle differences will be even more subtle.

Return to “Effects”