DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.0)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 am A coupe things I've noticed so far that I'm curious about:
-I added a track at one point and the note mode and piano mode was all white. It didn't show the root note. Switching to another track did show the root notes on that one. When I closed and reopened bitwig and reconnected the push 2, I now saw colored root notes on the track that didn't show before. Is this a big or is there a reason this happens?
Hmm, never experienced that. Did you try to change the track color?
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 am -Any way to make the sequencer mono? Ie. not allow multiple notes on the same division? Like it would allow a new note but would remove any other ones on that division, like how monophonic sequencers often work.
No.
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 am -The screen mode is cool that shows the notes of the sequencer, but it would be nice if there was some interactivity there, like it showed the selected note and maybe the knobs could do things specific to the note sequencer like change lengths and velocties etc.
-Is there a way that the note edit screen can follow notes that were just input in the sequencer? (velocity etc.). Currently it seems I need to input a note and then pres and hold it after that to be able to change velocity and duration.
-When I edit a note a selected note length it jumps up to a quarter note immediately. This can actually remove notes just after it. This doesn't seem right. Am I doing something wrong? It doesn't know what the note length is that it just put in?
-Is there a way to get sub quarter length divisions that are quantized to 16th lengths? The values available like 10, 20, 30 etc are off the 16th notes. So editing the length of a 16th note doesn't seem to want to get back to 16th, it's either shorter or longer.
The Bitwig API is very limited in that area but they are working currently on improvements.
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 am -How do you select the 4th send for the mode to control one send for all tracks? It only seems to allow selecting 1-3 and then there is the button for 5-8. All 4 work in the mode where you control the full mixer for one track (even where the fourth one is labeled as "Up"), but can't select that fourth one to control all send 4's for all tracks, I guess because that's the Up button. So there's 1-3 and then 5-7 for the next page toggle.
Do not have the device here right now but try touching the knob and then pressing the button.
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 am -Any way to reset a parameter to default? I should be looking this one up in documentation, I'm sure there is.
Press delete button and touch knob.

Hi. Sorry for posting this here, have had a look through installation guides and forum but not spotted an answer. I have the latest version of DrivenbyMoss with the intention of controlling Bitwig via OSC. The driver is showing up in the list of controllers but will not activate when I click on the power icon. Would welcome any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong - have had it working in previous versions of bitwig, albeit with an older version of Moss's software.

Thanks

gaijin14 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:19 pm Hi. Sorry for posting this here, have had a look through installation guides and forum but not spotted an answer. I have the latest version of DrivenbyMoss with the intention of controlling Bitwig via OSC. The driver is showing up in the list of controllers but will not activate when I click on the power icon. Would welcome any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong - have had it working in previous versions of bitwig, albeit with an older version of Moss's software.

Thanks
You need to select a MIDI input (no matter which one).

Thanks for the replies. What do you think about the idea to have octaves set as a settings on the note in the sequencer, indicated by a color change? The octave could be a note setting alongside velocity and duration. etc. I like to keep the sequencer in chromatic mode to be able to play the "blue" notes outside of a scale, so that means there's a lot of pages to scroll through to get to other octaves of notes. A color indicating octaves would give a nice overview of the sequence!

moss wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:20 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 am -Any way to reset a parameter to default? I should be looking this one up in documentation, I'm sure there is.
Oh that sets the parameter to zero. I meant reset to default. For example pan would be 50%. And many synth parameters are 50%.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:42 am -How do you select the 4th send for the mode to control one send for all tracks? It only seems to allow selecting 1-3 and then there is the button for 5-8. All 4 work in the mode where you control the full mixer for one track (even where the fourth one is labeled as "Up"), but can't select that fourth one to control all send 4's for all tracks, I guess because that's the Up button. So there's 1-3 and then 5-7 for the next page toggle.
Do not have the device here right now but try touching the knob and then pressing the button.
Found it. You have to press shift to enable the 4th send controls, since that button is used for the "Up" command normally. Though I'm not sure what "Up" is meant to do in mixer mode. Is there a reason for that to be there? I understand it being there when you are in parameter banks or layers or something and need to navigate up a level. But I'm not sure what it's there for in mixer mode.

Hi Jürgen
I am a fan of your work. I used it on my launchpad mk2 and Ableton push 1
However i encounter a problem when i suddenly disconnected either one USB of the device , the another device will start to hang and not responsive. By means the led get stuck and not responding to any control and button input.
The solution is to restart or replugging both of the device, but sometimes it doesnt work which will need to restart Bitwig which is rather troublesome. Is this a known bug or something? I am using Windows 10 latest update 2019. I hope you can look into this matter.

Thanks for the OSC fixes in 7.50.

I have just been testing the Max/MSP patch. I am not sure that the following are working:

- `/track/1/volume 10`
- `/track/1/pan 10`
- `/master/volume 10`
- `/master/pan 10`

jdkarmitage wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:23 pm Thanks for the OSC fixes in 7.50.

I have just been testing the Max/MSP patch. I am not sure that the following are working:

- `/track/1/volume 10`
- `/track/1/pan 10`
- `/master/volume 10`
- `/master/pan 10`
I get fooled by this all the time as well . The problem is the "Takeover mode". Set it to Immediate if you test single values.

darrenliew96 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:45 pm Hi Jürgen
I am a fan of your work. I used it on my launchpad mk2 and Ableton push 1
However i encounter a problem when i suddenly disconnected either one USB of the device , the another device will start to hang and not responsive. By means the led get stuck and not responding to any control and button input.
The solution is to restart or replugging both of the device, but sometimes it doesnt work which will need to restart Bitwig which is rather troublesome. Is this a known bug or something? I am using Windows 10 latest update 2019. I hope you can look into this matter.
I am afraid I can't and you have to file it under "the wonders of USB". :(

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:40 am Found it. You have to press shift to enable the 4th send controls, since that button is used for the "Up" command normally. Though I'm not sure what "Up" is meant to do in mixer mode. Is there a reason for that to be there? I understand it being there when you are in parameter banks or layers or something and need to navigate up a level. But I'm not sure what it's there for in mixer mode.
Currently, you cannot check if you are at a top track or inside a group. That's why the "up" is always visible. This will be fixed in the next Bitwig update.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:10 am
Oh that sets the parameter to zero. I meant reset to default. For example pan would be 50%. And many synth parameters are 50%.
It does reset to default but especially for VST plugins there is no meaningful defined default value. For Mixer and all Bitwig devices it should work fine. If not please report again.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:23 pm Thanks for the replies. What do you think about the idea to have octaves set as a settings on the note in the sequencer, indicated by a color change? The octave could be a note setting alongside velocity and duration. etc. I like to keep the sequencer in chromatic mode to be able to play the "blue" notes outside of a scale, so that means there's a lot of pages to scroll through to get to other octaves of notes. A color indicating octaves would give a nice overview of the sequence!
Interesting idea but my TODO list is currently enormous, so don't expect such things any time soon.

moss wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:34 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:23 pm Thanks for the replies. What do you think about the idea to have octaves set as a settings on the note in the sequencer, indicated by a color change? The octave could be a note setting alongside velocity and duration. etc. I like to keep the sequencer in chromatic mode to be able to play the "blue" notes outside of a scale, so that means there's a lot of pages to scroll through to get to other octaves of notes. A color indicating octaves would give a nice overview of the sequence!
Interesting idea but my TODO list is currently enormous, so don't expect such things any time soon.
Well it's good to hear you still have lots you want to do!
Personally I think sequencing is the one of the most appealing thing about a hardware controller if the layout allows for it, since that is the most annoying thing to do on a computer screen. So hopefully the melodic sequencer gets lots of love. :)

On that note, the Ableton Live sequencing on Push is pretty amazing, so if that could be implemented for Bitwig that would be super:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

Hi,

If you dont mind I have two features suggestions for sequencing (shift+Note) with Launchpad Pro :wink:

1 - use shift to get more grind resolutions on scene buttons. Currently we have 1/32 up to 1/4 (plus triplets). My suggestion is if we press shift we can have things like 1/64, 1/2, 1/1, 2/1 (plus triplets or 4/1 ...)

2- use shift + up/down arrows to go to the second half of the chromatic scale instead of the next octave. If we are using the chromatic scale then we only have the first 7 (C to F#) notes available to sequence and afaik we cant sequence the last ones (G to B).

Thanks

Return to “Controller Scripting”