DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Hi. I just added a Launchkey25 to my setup with Bitwig.

I notice two ports showing in Bitwig -

LaunchKey25 Ports 01.jpg
'Pads' and 'Keyboard'.

This is very suggestive that I might be able to route the pad output (e.g. one-touch chords) to one Bitwig track and the keyboard output (e.g. melody playing) to another Bitwig track.

I would love to do this!

However, there is no data shown coming via the Pads port. All the data is shown coming in thru the Keyboard port, including the one-touch chords from the pads.

Is it possible to get pad data on the Pads port and keys data on the Keyboard port?

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sj1 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:28 pm Hi. I just added a Launchkey25 to my setup with Bitwig.

LaunchKey25 Ports 01.jpg

'Pads' and 'Keyboard'.

This is very suggestive that I might be able to route the pad output (e.g. one-touch chords) to one Bitwig track and the keyboard output (e.g. melody playing) to another Bitwig track.

I would love to do this!

However, there is no data shown coming via the Pads port. All the data is shown coming in thru the Keyboard port, including the one-touch chords from the pads.

Is it possible to get pad data on the Pads port and keys data on the Keyboard port?

I would expect that if you use the chord modes the midi notes are sent from the keyboard out. You know, you basically use it to play keyboard chords so it makes sense to work this way, if you think about it. Do the pads send midi data, through pads if they are not used in keyboard mode? And I expect you created two difference devices for the two outs?

edit: i also think this question might not pertain to this thread maybe in a more general forum better placed.

Well, it's all via the DBM controller script, so I figure the community expertise is here. One aspect that I wonder about is whether those port labels come from the LK25 or from DBM. I consulted the LK25 PDF manual and it was completely silent re: multiple MIDI ports.

I have not, so far, been able to generate -any- data thru the 'Pads' port, so guidance from anyone with prior specific experience around this subject is most welcome.

Thanks for your amazing work with the Push 2 for Bitwig. Only issue I have is the LEDs that light the buttons on my Push 2 are very dim when using the script within Bitwig, and it’s extremely difficult to read the illuminated button text. It is plugged into power supply, and set at 100% brightness within the settings. The pads are extremely bright at the 100% setting, but not the surrounding LEDs? It seems the balance between the pad brightness and LEDs is incorrect somehow? The separately controlled screen display is bright and working correctly.
To confirm the hardware isn’t faulty, when I use the Push 2 within Ableton Live, the LEDs are bright at only 25% level within the Ableton Live settings? Is there a setting I can change within the script to correct the balance somehow?
I notice in your videos running the Push 2 script that your LEDs are extremely bright, which makes me wonder why I have this issue?
I am running the latest 16.3.1 script from your website.
Thanks again

Last night I got DrivenByMoss extension working with TouchOSC. It's working well and I can control track volumes and pan using TouchOSC, and get feedback to TouchOSC if the value is changed in Bitwig.

However I need to be able to control other parameters, like filter cutoff, formant etc. DrivenByMoss interprets OSC commands such as "/track/1/volume x" to control the parameters of some specific things, but I can't find any way to map control for parameters other than these pre-defined ones. I'm aware I can use TouchOSC Bridge to convert OSC commands to MIDI and control Bitwig that way, but I'd like to use OSC so that I get feedback to TouchOSC if the values are changed in Bitwig.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Moss,

I went offline for a while, and I have just noticed you took the time to answer my many questions, thanks a lot about that.
banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm Yes it gets unresponsive (leds are still lit, the command have effect on the daw, but the push state in not upgrading), sometimes if I wait a bit I can get the hand back on it, but most of the time I have to restart the push, or even unplug it (and it makes bitwig crash from time to time). And there is no plugin on the audio track generally.
I did not think about looking in the console, I will do it next time it happens and let you. My music production machine is still on 7, maybe I should consider an upgrade
I think I understand more the reason of this problem: the push display is freezing only when I select an audio track (or a return track) with the push1 in note mode. I now try to avoid it when it's possible, but when I am jamming it still can happen from time to time. When it freezes, the push can still control bitwig normally, but the display (pads and screen) are not updated accordingly. Sometimes it takes few seconds to recover (after having selected a MIDI track), but most of the time I need to reboot the push (which make bitwig unstable).

moss wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:10 pm
banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm browsing the presets is slow even when preview is off (don't know why bitwig is still loading the preset, that is missing all the point of turning preview off haha)
I am afraid that one is for Bitwig. But you can switch off this preloading in the browser in case you have not noticed.
I noticed that it was possible to switch off preloading (now even from the push thank to you ^^). But it appears it is still somehow loading some stuff as it is quite slow even with preview off (which is not the case with ableton). Hopefully bitwig will work on this.
moss wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:10 pm
banermattou wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm it would be great to be able to browse and add samples in session view
You already can:
1) Keep the browse button pressed
2) Press the pad into which you want to load the sample
3) Use the cursor left/right keys to select the Samples tab in the browser.
Awesome!

Also I forgot to talk about this in my previous post, but it seems that the repeater function is buggy on the push 1 with 16.3: the octave setting is defaulted to 1 (should be 0), and it is not possible to set it to 0 without increasing it before (I need to set it to 2 or more before being able to set it down to 0).

Bjørn Felle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:39 am Last night I got DrivenByMoss extension working with TouchOSC. It's working well and I can control track volumes and pan using TouchOSC, and get feedback to TouchOSC if the value is changed in Bitwig.

However I need to be able to control other parameters, like filter cutoff, formant etc. DrivenByMoss interprets OSC commands such as "/track/1/volume x" to control the parameters of some specific things, but I can't find any way to map control for parameters other than these pre-defined ones. I'm aware I can use TouchOSC Bridge to convert OSC commands to MIDI and control Bitwig that way, but I'd like to use OSC so that I get feedback to TouchOSC if the values are changed in Bitwig.

Ahh, I think I understand. You use the MIDI not OSC from TouchOSC, which means using the TouchOSC bridge, and then you use the Generic Flexi controller from DrivenByMoss. That lets you use TouchOSC to control parameters in Bitwig and get the feedback working to TouchOSC. Then you use "Device: Set Set Parameter {1-8}" to set the actual parameter. You can also use "Device: Select Parameter Page {1-8}" to choose which of the eight pages of remote controls to use. I can use the latter to switch to the controls relevant to the screen I'm looking at on TouchOSC.

fsciarra62 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:11 am Jurge,
I use the script that gets installed with DrivenByMoss for Novation SLmk3. I select the extension when the controller is plugged the first time. It then starts automagically, everytime I turn SLmk3 on.
If your question is if I'm using DAW Mode (inControl) then no: I need zone control to access many mapped synths on the fly.

It seems to do it's duty, more or less. What I need is to let the program change message pass through, or a simple explanation, if any, on why it's not possible, the latter more for my knowledge.

Or a suggestion for a better live usage. I'm realizing that probably I didn't fully understand your script usage and I need a second thought, too.

Thanks,
Fabrizio
If you do not use the inControl mode, there is no need to use my SL extension (it just eats performance). Instead you can use one of the Generic drivers, incl. my Generic Flexi, which should let Program Change pass.

Nevertheless, I will allow to let Program Change pass in the next update.

gExpectations wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:33 am Ahoy, i just did some decent testing with the NI M32 and depending ...

[*]Transport Controls and Track Controls work fine. (Additionally pushing 4D controller always sends a clip from arranger to Clip view.).
I do not understand the last sentence. Pressing it starts the selected clip in the clip launcher.
gExpectations wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:33 am [*]Browser Control doesnt work (not sure it is supposed to and I also suppose they mean Abletons browser not KKs)
With "Browser" the KK browser is meant and only that works.

gExpectations wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:33 am [*]Parameter Control works kind of (see below)

(2) Your manual states that S series has "additional device/parameter and send modes". I understood this as parameter and send modes are only avaialble on S series (and not that they have additional control options for these modes). I can switch between volume, send and parameter control on my m32 keyboard by pressing shift+clear. Heres what works/doesnt work:
OK, that is really funny. These modes are only intended for the S-series and I simply was not aware that you can trigger CLEAR as well on these models. That's why the text looks weird since on the S-series I can send several lines of text. Also on the small ones you cannot change the "Vol" and "Pan" texts.
Will need to look into it and see if we can keep it.

gExpectations wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:42 am I want to add pointlessly and out of frustration (can be disregarded;): i also did a full test of both your link implementation as well as controller mode with the mpc one and whatever akai does, it sucks so much. Your script worked flawlessly tho. Just, the MPC One could be the greatest midi controller ever but why are there 0 qlinks in link mode and 4 in controller mode. Why. Why does everything seem so artificially limited. I mean maybe theres a practical reason, obviously its not an easy problem and I don't work there or in coding. It still feels really bad. (Plus their firmware has lag on the qlinks since forever, no proper way to write automation with them).
Yes, the Q-link bug is very annoying and I really hope that it will be finally get fixed again in the upcoming 2.11.

melodyz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:19 pm Hi sir on the latest script for akai fire. when on the step mode, pressing shift and the right arrows shows display of edit page 1 2 3 and so forth. Anyway we can change scales from that page?
It works like this in "Note Sequencer Mode". In "Poly Sequencer Mode" you need to switch to the Play Mode and change it there (see manual).

sj1 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:28 pm Hi. I just added a Launchkey25 to my setup with Bitwig.

LaunchKey25 Ports 01.jpg

'Pads' and 'Keyboard'.

I would love to do this!

The "Pads" channel is intended to be used with the Drum sequencer: Shift + Drum (Will add it to the manual).

Scatman1 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:23 am Thanks for your amazing work with the Push 2 for Bitwig. Only issue I have is the LEDs that light the buttons on my Push 2 are very dim when using the script within Bitwig, and it’s extremely difficult to read the illuminated button text. It is plugged into power supply, and set at 100% brightness within the settings. The pads are extremely bright at the 100% setting, but not the surrounding LEDs? It seems the balance between the pad brightness and LEDs is incorrect somehow? The separately controlled screen display is bright and working correctly.
To confirm the hardware isn’t faulty, when I use the Push 2 within Ableton Live, the LEDs are bright at only 25% level within the Ableton Live settings? Is there a setting I can change within the script to correct the balance somehow?
I notice in your videos running the Push 2 script that your LEDs are extremely bright, which makes me wonder why I have this issue?
I am running the latest 16.3.1 script from your website.
Thanks again
Hmm, I heard this before but I have no real issue with this on my model. I also checked the Ableton development documentation several times but I have sadly no idea what might be wrong.

Bjørn Felle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:52 pm
Bjørn Felle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:39 am Last night I got DrivenByMoss extension working with TouchOSC. It's working well and I can control track volumes and pan using TouchOSC, and get feedback to TouchOSC if the value is changed in Bitwig.

Ahh, I think I understand. You use the MIDI not OSC from TouchOSC, which means using the TouchOSC bridge, and then you use the Generic Flexi controller from DrivenByMoss. That lets you use TouchOSC to control parameters in Bitwig and get the feedback working to TouchOSC. Then you use "Device: Set Set Parameter {1-8}" to set the actual parameter. You can also use "Device: Select Parameter Page {1-8}" to choose which of the eight pages of remote controls to use. I can use the latter to switch to the controls relevant to the screen I'm looking at on TouchOSC.
To use OSC you do not need any MIDI at all. In the past TouchOSC had several limitations which made it quite useless. I am not sure about the current state. Check out the Open Stage Control template included in the DrivenByMoss download to see how the OSC commands are used.

Return to “Controller Scripting”