DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Hello,

With the LaunchControl XL mk2, how are the user modes programmed ?

Thanks.

orenmi wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:12 am I know there is not exactly capture midi. but in my previous controller: Launchkey 25, there was a capture button and once you click on it, you can then start recording in bitwig and it will fill the midi notes from what a played previously.

In the SL, from their manual, there is no physical button but there is a button when you click shift.

I don't want it to sound like a complaint, I admire everything you are doing for the community :hug:
Just something to think about and see if there is an option to address.
That's a request you should send to Bitwig. To make sure, I also checked again the Launchkey and SL manuals and there is no hardware feature which would provide such a function besides the hardware sequencers.

mevla wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:05 am Hello,

With the LaunchControl XL mk2, how are the user modes programmed ?

Thanks.
You simply map them in Bitwig (right click and MIDI learn). Since they use different MIDI channels, this should give no conflict.

Got new gamepad with Hall effect sticks and once again thought of using gamepad controller script. These get very precise and with fine controls, which make them much more useful for actually using for performance, but also remind me of some issues I had before + some new bugs since 4.4 update

mapping CC values to sticks still get limited to absolute value behavior, meaning up/down from center do the same thing, instead of whole range mapped from down to up or left to right stick position. would be even better if it was possible to map different CC for center-up, center-down, etc ranges. additionally, it would be useful to be able to assign specific channel for each mapping, like giving ability to divide left hand controls to channel 1 and right hand controls to channel 2, to have separate pitchbends for left triggered and right triggered notes for example.

As for bugs, for some reason after enabling controller script, drop-down menus become suppressed, generally right and middle-click actions stop working as well. if I try to use drop-down menus on mappings of gamepad controller it'll start learn-mapping to CC29 for some reason, or some other random CC. I can make a video example if you can't reproduce this. Given that there were some changes to API since 4.4 release, it's not really surprising that something breaks like that

moss wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:38 am You simply map them in Bitwig (right click and MIDI learn). Since they use different MIDI channels, this should give no conflict.
Thanks, that works well for knobs. Although the buttons have no effect, at least in the case of BendoBox (see my post today about Remote Control buttons for a screenshot) as it gets assigned but does not switch between the two values afterwards.

Could it be that n the BendoBox GUI that parameter is presented as a switch but the coding in the VST has it defined as a knob ?

EDIT: I solved this by adding a modulator button to the parameter. Then assigning a LaunchControl user mode button to the modulator button. Whereas assigning the parameter directly to the LaunchControl didn't made the value switch between on and off, going through a modulator button adapter made it work.

x.iso wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:40 pm Got new gamepad with Hall effect sticks and once again thought of using gamepad controller script. These get very precise and with fine controls, which make them much more useful for actually using for performance, but also remind me of some issues I had before + some new bugs since 4.4 update
Which Gamepad is it exactly?
x.iso wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:40 pm mapping CC values to sticks still get limited to absolute value behavior, meaning up/down from center do the same thing, instead of whole range mapped from down to up or left to right stick position. would be even better if it was possible to map different CC for center-up, center-down, etc ranges. additionally, it would be useful to be able to assign specific channel for each mapping, like giving ability to divide left hand controls to channel 1 and right hand controls to channel 2, to have separate pitchbends for left triggered and right triggered notes for example.

As for bugs, for some reason after enabling controller script, drop-down menus become suppressed, generally right and middle-click actions stop working as well. if I try to use drop-down menus on mappings of gamepad controller it'll start learn-mapping to CC29 for some reason, or some other random CC. I can make a video example if you can't reproduce this. Given that there were some changes to API since 4.4 release, it's not really surprising that something breaks like that
Yes, a video would be helpful.

moss wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:47 pm Which Gamepad is it exactly?
Gulikit King Kong 2 Pro. they're also making Hall effect joystick modules for Steam Deck
I have it paired in Xinput mode, but it also have older D-input mode which I haven't tried yet.
moss wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:47 pm Yes, a video would be helpful.
alright, I'll record it and post a bit later when it's done

damn, now I can't easily reproduce this bug 😁 although it happened consistently after just few seconds of playing around with gamepad, on same project too. I even restarted audio engine, updated extension as well, it was re-occurring still. but not anymore for now. gonna experiment with it more tomorrow

DrivenByMoss 18.5 is online!

Get it from https://mossgrabers.de

Changes:
  • All devices
    • Fixed: Poly Sequencer: Registration of notes is more reliable.
  • Komplete Kontrol MkII, Launchkey / Mini, Launchpad, Maschine
    • New: Added new record button options to additionally enable automation writing.
  • Launchpad
    • New: Sequencers have now a note editing mode. Long press a step with a note to activate the note editor.
    • New: Pro Mk3: State of metronome is shown on Solo/Click button when Shift is pressed.
    • New: Changing note repeat with cursor up/down+pad in sequencers works now also for Poly Sequencer.
    • New: Record button (and Shift+Record button) can now be configured (instead of only being able to be flipped).
    • New: Scene buttons in device mode have more functions: enable device, toggle user interface, toggle pinning.
    • Fixed: Broke some cursor commands (e.g. tempo change) while fixing note repeat in 18.4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAE2QWEheQY

Enjoy!

I downloaded 18.5.0 however I borrowed the Launchpad Pro Mk3 to a friend and can't test new transport features. My question is, does Record button and Shift + Record button appear only when LPPMk3 is connected? Because I don’t see these 2 features at the moment.

moxxi wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:12 am I downloaded 18.5.0 however I borrowed the Launchpad Pro Mk3 to a friend and can't test new transport features. My question is, does Record button and Shift + Record button appear only when LPPMk3 is connected? Because I don’t see these 2 features at the moment.
Try to remove it and add it again. There is still this Bitwig bug wit changed settings.

moss wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:39 pm
moxxi wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:12 am I downloaded 18.5.0 however I borrowed the Launchpad Pro Mk3 to a friend and can't test new transport features. My question is, does Record button and Shift + Record button appear only when LPPMk3 is connected? Because I don’t see these 2 features at the moment.
Try to remove it and add it again. There is still this Bitwig bug wit changed settings.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that when I get the controller back. Also thanks for the updated script for Launchpad Pro Mk3.

moss wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:47 pm
x.iso wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:40 pm As for bugs, for some reason after enabling controller script, drop-down menus become suppressed, generally right and middle-click actions stop working as well. if I try to use drop-down menus on mappings of gamepad controller it'll start learn-mapping to CC29 for some reason, or some other random CC. I can make a video example if you can't reproduce this. Given that there were some changes to API since 4.4 release, it's not really surprising that something breaks like that
Alright, after few days tried again and it happened after few minutes of playing with this gamepad (it's Gulikit king kong 2 pro) except after trying to disable script (which makes bug go away) and then re-enable it, Bitwig just crashed, here's video:
https://clipchamp.com/watch/7tZ6rN9vNGE

x.iso wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:04 pm
moss wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:47 pm
x.iso wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:40 pm As for bugs, for some reason after enabling controller script, drop-down menus become suppressed, generally right and middle-click actions stop working as well. if I try to use drop-down menus on mappings of gamepad controller it'll start learn-mapping to CC29 for some reason, or some other random CC. I can make a video example if you can't reproduce this. Given that there were some changes to API since 4.4 release, it's not really surprising that something breaks like that
Alright, after few days tried again and it happened after few minutes of playing with this gamepad (it's Gulikit king kong 2 pro) except after trying to disable script (which makes bug go away) and then re-enable it, Bitwig just crashed, here's video:
https://clipchamp.com/watch/7tZ6rN9vNGE
Thanks for the video. Was there a crash log?

To clarify: the issue appears when you change the "Right X" to "Note"?

I am entirely new to the DAW world. I have a Linux machine (Ubuntu) running a trial installation of Bitwig. I have purchased the Mackie Big Knob Studio package and am trying to get it to work with Bitwig before I decide whether to drop the money on a full license.
I have installed all packages offered by Bitwig using their default source. I have installed the DrivenByMoss extension, and I am able to see the additional controllers after installing the extension. Bitwig has never indicated that it recognized any controller was connected. I have tried manually adding all of the Mackie and Generic controllers, and none of them give me any options in the input or output menus other than "none".
The Mackie is plugged in via USB and working fine as an output device for the machine, meaning music played on the computer can be heard across the speakers connected to the Mackie interface.
I have tried rebooting everything multiple times.
I think that covers everything. I welcome any help or advice, and apologize in advance for my admitted ignorance on the entire topic of DAW software and digital interfaces in general.
Thank you!

Return to “Controller Scripting”