DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Hi Moss,
I know it's a very new product, but do you have an idea if Push 3 will be able to work with Bitwig in a similar manner to the previous Push generations? Very interested in the MPE support!
Thank you

Hi- With Beta 8 I'm having buggy behavior with parameters on my Novation SL MK 3. Most of the time they don't display at all. My Push 2 is working as expected.
If I open up the controller settings using the little keyboard in the upper right, I can select the track and device and then it displays and acts correctly. However, if I change tracks or devices in the usual way (by controller or mouse), the SL does not update to reflect the new parameters until I manually choose the device as above. I have the mode set to "Any track/device selection" Thanks
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

mevla wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:29 pm Hello. Is it possible to interact directly with Bitwig's functions as in having a button in the Launchpad (Mini mk3) User page for saving a project ?
You can overwrite every button and knob by directly mapping it in Bitwig but this control will then be blocked for the extension features.
The user mode allows only to map parameters. So no.

ihearanewworld wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:29 pm Hi Moss,
I know it's a very new product, but do you have an idea if Push 3 will be able to work with Bitwig in a similar manner to the previous Push generations? Very interested in the MPE support!
Thank you
I have no idea so far. But I could not spot the usual script in the Ableton update. Therefore, it is possible that it might be completely locked down.

Moss,
I am having issues with your latest script working with bigwig version beta8. I "can" get the bitwig script .8 to work but yours will not work with my launchpad mk3. The pad will not even respond to any drop of a loop in clip or even touch on the pad. Are you working on a new script that I should just be patience ?

Update: seems I did not really update my firmware on the pad when I first got it, after running firmware update once again, it fixed the issue.

I use
win 11
motu m2
bitwig 5 b8
launchpad mk3

ronnb
Last edited by ronnb on Sat May 27, 2023 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Huge thanks to all of your effort man. Your script totally changed my workflow for the better.

The latest beta (8) seems to have broken your script on my icon pro g2. When selecting the device parameter mode to control plugins/devices, the screen is blank and the faders don't respond to the values.

Goodmorning Juergen,

Launchkey mk3 script is not always connecting to the device knobs it seems. The script for launchkey mk3 from Bitwig itself does so it seems like it is not a bug from Bitwig itself. Running Bitwig 5.0 beta 8 on Ubuntu studio 22.04 script version 20.2.1
I prefer the script from drivenbymoss so it would be great if this could be solved :tu: !

Edit: Further testing with the default Bitwig Launchkey 37 mk3 script learned me that also that script seems to have issues with connecting to the knobs! It seems to be a Bitwig bug.

So please forget this message i will let Bitwig support know!

Thanks,

krankyone wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:54 am Hi- With Beta 8 I'm having buggy behavior with parameters on my Novation SL MK 3. Most of the time they don't display at all. My Push 2 is working as expected.
If I open up the controller settings using the little keyboard in the upper right, I can select the track and device and then it displays and acts correctly. However, if I change tracks or devices in the usual way (by controller or mouse), the SL does not update to reflect the new parameters until I manually choose the device as above. I have the mode set to "Any track/device selection" Thanks
This behaviour i have exactly but then with my Novation Launchkey 37 mk3.....i have contacted Bitwig and explained maybe you can do the same? It seems a bug from Bitwig itself because the default script in Bitwig behaves exactly the same.

See my post here above.

Edit: I have sent an screenshot from your and mine bug reporting here to the beta support.

Hi Moss,

I really like DrivenByMoss! Especially the drum machine mode!

However: I am using a Launchpad X and a Midiplus X3 mini (Generic Flexi) with DrivenByMoss
since the Bitwig 5 Beta (can't pinpoint the exact version to be honest) I have the issue that
* the launchpad flickers every now and then switching to the original Launchpad mode (can see this with the colors) and then switching back to normal, also forgetting where it was e.g. switching from Session to Note.
* the keyboard has stuck midi notes
Both of the issues happen sporadically.

Are there any known issues and/or hints on how to debug?
I am also able to use an IDE and debugger and compile the code myself if that somehow helps. however the issue is that I can't exactly reproduce when it happens.
I also checked the Bitwig log but I could not see any obvious message which I could relate to this issue.

I am using Bitwig 5 beta 8, DrivenByMoss 20.2.1 and Windows 11 22H2 22621.1778

Hi Juergen!,

I m testing your awesome OSC script, and i m really wondering how to use it together with Group Tracks.
Everything is working fine, until i add a Group Track in my project, then things start to get really bad,
because it seems that Bitwig only counts the Group-Track as "real" Track,
and every Track within the Group-Track gets DELETED from the Track-count!
So when i had 6 Audio Tracks, those counted as Track 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and could be adressed with the OSC adresses.
But as soon as they get grouped, only the "1" (the Grouptrack) is adressable, and 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 no longer exist.

This means, that there is no way for me to
- show the VU Meters of any Track that's within a group
- use Volume Control of any Track in a group
- do any action with any Clip within a group
- etc., everything within a group is dead for the OSC Script

I really really hope there's a solution for this, otherwise the whole OSC functionality would be incredibly limited. :o
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

questionaire wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:34 pm
krankyone wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:54 am Hi- With Beta 8 I'm having buggy behavior with parameters on my Novation SL MK 3. Most of the time they don't display at all. My Push 2 is working as expected.
This behaviour i have exactly but then with my Novation Launchkey 37 mk3.....i have contacted Bitwig and explained maybe you can do the same? It seems a bug from Bitwig itself because the default script in Bitwig behaves exactly the same.

See my post here above.

Edit: I have sent an screenshot from your and mine bug reporting here to the beta support.
I reported the issue as well.

mudi1974 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:43 pm Hi Moss,

I really like DrivenByMoss! Especially the drum machine mode!

However: I am using a Launchpad X and a Midiplus X3 mini (Generic Flexi) with DrivenByMoss
since the Bitwig 5 Beta (can't pinpoint the exact version to be honest) I have the issue that
* the launchpad flickers every now and then switching to the original Launchpad mode (can see this with the colors) and then switching back to normal, also forgetting where it was e.g. switching from Session to Note.
* the keyboard has stuck midi notes
Both of the issues happen sporadically.

Are there any known issues and/or hints on how to debug?
I am also able to use an IDE and debugger and compile the code myself if that somehow helps. however the issue is that I can't exactly reproduce when it happens.
I also checked the Bitwig log but I could not see any obvious message which I could relate to this issue.

I am using Bitwig 5 beta 8, DrivenByMoss 20.2.1 and Windows 11 22H2 22621.1778
There seem to be quite some issues with v5. Please report everything to support.

nowiamone wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:58 pm Hi Juergen!,

I m testing your awesome OSC script, and i m really wondering how to use it together with Group Tracks.
Everything is working fine, until i add a Group Track in my project, then things start to get really bad,
because it seems that Bitwig only counts the Group-Track as "real" Track,
and every Track within the Group-Track gets DELETED from the Track-count!
So when i had 6 Audio Tracks, those counted as Track 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and could be adressed with the OSC adresses.
But as soon as they get grouped, only the "1" (the Grouptrack) is adressable, and 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 no longer exist.

This means, that there is no way for me to
- show the VU Meters of any Track that's within a group
- use Volume Control of any Track in a group
- do any action with any Clip within a group
- etc., everything within a group is dead for the OSC Script

I really really hope there's a solution for this, otherwise the whole OSC functionality would be incredibly limited. :o
The OSC implementation uses a hierarchical navigation, which means if you want to see the sub-tracks of the group you need to enter it: /track/{1-8}/enter

moss wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:12 am The OSC implementation uses a hierarchical navigation, which means if you want to see the sub-tracks of the group you need to enter it: /track/{1-8}/enter
Yes, but this enter function is not what i mean and need.

As far as i understand the enter function, it is like a toggle button, which, when activated, ONLY shows the Group. At least, that's what happening, when i use it: All my VU Meters and Textboxes then show JUST the Group, and every Clip-control is ONLY affecting the Group, which is absolutely not what i want and need.
What i want and need is a huge mixer and track+clip+scene Control interface, which is able to show the Bitwig project, as it is! Without Verschachtelung und Toggle-pressung! That's why i already increased the bank-page-size in the OSC Script settings to 50 :)

I mean, even if i would just build a simple Launchpad Style interface with OSC, the necessity to enter groups would be a workflow- and live-performance-killer. It would mean that whenever i want to start some Percussion in my DrumGroup, i wouldnt even see those clips, until i enter a group. Concerning Launchpads, everyone is used to be able to see and use ALL Clips as you see them in front of you in Ableton/Bitwig, independently from their status of being grouped or not.

Here's my interface, as i built it for Ableton, and which i now would love to be able to use with Bitwig - this interface also includes 8 Tracks within Groups, which can be adressed and seen without having to toggle anything. (There are lots of other downsides in Ableton though, thats why i want to change :wink: )
interface philip.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

nowiamone wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:38 am
moss wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:12 am The OSC implementation uses a hierarchical navigation, which means if you want to see the sub-tracks of the group you need to enter it: /track/{1-8}/enter
Yes, but this enter function is not what i mean and need.

As far as i understand the enter function, it is like a toggle button, which, when activated, ONLY shows the Group. At least, that's what happening, when i use it: All my VU Meters and Textboxes then show JUST the Group, and every Clip-control is ONLY affecting the Group, which is absolutely not what i want and need.
What i want and need is a huge mixer and track+clip+scene Control interface, which is able to show the Bitwig project, as it is! Without Verschachtelung und Toggle-pressung! That's why i already increased the bank-page-size in the OSC Script settings to 50 :)

I mean, even if i would just build a simple Launchpad Style interface with OSC, the necessity to enter groups would be a workflow- and live-performance-killer. It would mean that whenever i want to start some Percussion in my DrumGroup, i wouldnt even see those clips, until i enter a group. Concerning Launchpads, everyone is used to be able to see and use ALL Clips as you see them in front of you in Ableton/Bitwig, independently from their status of being grouped or not.

Here's my interface, as i built it for Ableton, and which i now would love to be able to use with Bitwig - this interface also includes 8 Tracks within Groups, which can be adressed and seen without having to toggle anything. (There are lots of other downsides in Ableton though, thats why i want to change :wink: )
interface philip.jpg
Will add it to the wishlist.

Return to “Controller Scripting”