Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
mediumaevum
KVRist
 
133 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Postby mediumaevum; Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:57 pm Death of a Knight - Orchestral/Film Score

https://soundcloud.com/mediumaevum-arti ... f-a-knight

Hi, I need some feedback on my new orchestral soundtrack, it is not intended for anything special, but what I'd particularly want to know is:

The strings - do they sound too fake or synth? What can I do to improve (I'm using 8DIO for all the instruments - violins 1 & 2, viola, cello and flute).

I already programmed some dynamics on the violins and violas.

Secondly, I'd like to know what you think of the harmonization.
User avatar
Bansaw
KVRist
 
305 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Postby Bansaw; Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:17 pm Re: Death of a Knight - Orchestral/Film Score

Like it. This is the kind of music I am into since I have Albion One.
With me I realized that if I layer my strings with a barely-heard tremolo floating in and out, it does add some dynamic.
If you like composing this kind of music, then try and get Shire Whistle by Embertone. I think you'll like it.
++
Win10x64, i7-7700k, 16Gb, 500Gb SSD, 2TB, Reaper x64. Albion One, Avenger, Kontakt 5, Motu Ethno. | My feedback | Youtube |
My VPS Avenger Sapphire expansion | www.BansawCrown.com | My Freebies
mediumaevum
KVRist
 
133 posts since 14 Feb, 2013

Postby mediumaevum; Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:58 am Re: Death of a Knight - Orchestral/Film Score

Bansaw wrote:Like it. This is the kind of music I am into since I have Albion One.
With me I realized that if I layer my strings with a barely-heard tremolo floating in and out, it does add some dynamic.
If you like composing this kind of music, then try and get Shire Whistle by Embertone. I think you'll like it.
++


Thanks for the tip. When you layer the tremolo, do you let the tremolo follow the entire melody, or as a drone or part of the harmony? How do you use the tremolo?
User avatar
Bansaw
KVRist
 
305 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Postby Bansaw; Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:43 am Re: Death of a Knight - Orchestral/Film Score

mediumaevum wrote:Thanks for the tip. When you layer the tremolo, do you let the tremolo follow the entire melody, or as a drone or part of the harmony? How do you use the tremolo?

Just for the string bed.
If you click on my soundcloud logo and listen to the fist 20 seconds of my track Supposedly Abandoned Mineshaft you'll hear in the background the hint of tremolos there adding dynamics.
Win10x64, i7-7700k, 16Gb, 500Gb SSD, 2TB, Reaper x64. Albion One, Avenger, Kontakt 5, Motu Ethno. | My feedback | Youtube |
My VPS Avenger Sapphire expansion | www.BansawCrown.com | My Freebies
User avatar
ChamMusic
KVRian
 
810 posts since 12 Jun, 2006, from Birmingham, UK

Postby ChamMusic; Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:49 am Re: Death of a Knight - Orchestral/Film Score

Bansaw wrote:
mediumaevum wrote:Thanks for the tip. When you layer the tremolo, do you let the tremolo follow the entire melody, or as a drone or part of the harmony? How do you use the tremolo?

Just for the string bed.
If you click on my soundcloud logo and listen to the fist 20 seconds of my track Supposedly Abandoned Mineshaft you'll hear in the background the hint of tremolos there adding dynamics.


@Bansaw:
I remember this track...

Those tremolo strings worked well, but to me they were quite audible and not in the background + they weren't changing the dynamics...more adding a bit of textural variation.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
User avatar
ChamMusic
KVRian
 
810 posts since 12 Jun, 2006, from Birmingham, UK

Postby ChamMusic; Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:00 am Re: Death of a Knight - Orchestral/Film Score

String sound is reasonably convincing, especially as they are so exposed:

1) Good library
2) Some dynamic variation programmed

It needs more automation though so that the sound is more fluid and varied and NOT at all static...

Velocity editing? This can help introduce variation as the samples will respond to velocity in various ways and tweak the sound on an ongoing basis.

Key Switches for different articulations.

Basic harmonies - the particular modal style you go with for the main part is appropriate and used effectively. I particularly liked the way you've avoided all parts moving at the same time. Of course this makes the composing more problematic and there are mildly clunky moments where individual lines could be improved even further.

Texture is well organized with plenty of subtle variation.

Melodies are all quite effective + highly apropriate, but...At the moment there is nothing hugely memorable that stands out...they are all a little bit generic and are not quite 100% 'there' in terms of their ebb and flow.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe