Arpeggiator adding v low note in "wrap" sequence

Official support for: lennardigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi -

I'm just learning Sylenth and have been playing around with the arpeggiator. If I wrap a sequence at, say, 4 notes, and play four notes, the lowest one gets replaced with a very low note (lower than my keyboard, I think). This happens consistently with any wrap sequence.

I also can't tell the difference between Up, Up/Down, and Up/Down2.

Mac OSX, Reaper. Any ideas?

John

john.magee@gmail.com wrote:Hi -

I'm just learning Sylenth and have been playing around with the arpeggiator. If I wrap a sequence at, say, 4 notes, and play four notes, the lowest one gets replaced with a very low note (lower than my keyboard, I think). This happens consistently with any wrap sequence.
Not sure what you mean there, can you give an example and add the preset you're using (or a screenshot)?
john.magee@gmail.com wrote:I also can't tell the difference between Up, Up/Down, and Up/Down2.
That makes sense. If you wrap at 4 and hold 4 notes, it'll wrap before it can even reach the down part of the sequence, so those will all sound as Up.

Thank you for replying so quickly. I understand the wrap/up/down issue now. As for the strange low note, I've attached 3 files:

screen shot of arpeggiator config, wrapping at 4
screen shot of midi notes - start with 4 notes, move to 5
mp3 illustrating that when 4 notes are pressed, you get 3 of the 4 plus a very low note, and when 5 are pressed, you get the top 4.

Let me know if this is clear, thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Not sure I get what you mean, but when I try it, I get the 4 correct notes with 4 notes, and the four highest notes with 5 notes. In other words, when I release the lowest of the 5 notes, it doesn't change anything about the result.

I just realized the mp3 did not get attached to my last post because the forum does not allow mp3s. It also won't let me change the extension to txt or jpg because it can't parse the file. Any ideas for uploading an example?

You might want to use a service such as box.com.

Maybe it's a Mac issue. I tried the arp in both Mulab and Reaper on W10, seems to work fine.

Here is a google drive link to an mp3 illustrating the outcome of the example in the first post: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1m-zqP ... O3sh7i-6CB

Appreciate any advice.

Hi,

Can you also send the preset fxp file you're using (click MENU -> Preset -> Save to save it)?
Sounds like you have some other things going on there as well.

OK, that does sound weird. Have you tried it in another DAW to make sure it has to do with Sylenth1 in the first place? (I recommend Mulab for it is a small download and requires no installation: http://www.mutools.com/mulab-downloads.html )

Here's a link to the fxp file.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uGT2E ... cx9z4NnZ2M
Thanks! I'll also try another DAW when I can.

Works fine here in Reaper on Mac.
What version of Sylenth1 are you using exactly? (click MENU -> About to find out).
Can you send the Reaper project file also?

Hi -

I just did more testing. Garageband - same issue. Other presets - same issue.

I'm running 3.0.3.3. I guess the official version is 3.0.3.2, but when I go to the download area, that link gives me a 3.0.3.3 download.

I'm not sure a project file is necessary b/c it sounds the same when I hold down keys/make a midi recording in Garageband.

Have you tried restarting your computer already?

What happens if you change wrap to 5? Or start with 3 notes instead of 4?

I think I have this figured out and I'm a little embarrassed (but am also pretty new to synth programming). I think it has to do with quantization. I did another test and realized I was not quantized to the arp timing. Even though the notes were held well past quantization boundaries, the "note on" events were not quantized, and I got the above symptoms. When I quantized everything to 1/16 notes (the arp timing), it all resolved. I don't know if this is completely expected or not, but I now have a solution. Thank you for indulging me!

Return to “LennarDigital”