Dream soft synth?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
dark water
KVRian
1027 posts since 2 Jun, 2016

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:38 am

Nothing beats this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5My_WFw6bts

(actually, that's a lie - many synths probably beat Antopya - but it's free and beautiful you heathens, and nobody else loves it :x :cry: )

chk071
KVRAF
18928 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Dream soft synth?

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:43 am

My dream soft synth: A mélange of the best parts of the synth i already have. :) With a little bit of stuff i always wanted in soft synths, but never found in any. Like the huge sweet spot, and very high quality in all components found in a few hardware synths. There'd be no need for a mélange anymore either, that way.

BlackWinny
KVRAF
3500 posts since 17 Jun, 2013 from very close to Paris, France

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:25 pm

dark water wrote:...and nobody else loves it :x :cry: )
Are you really sure ?
:wink:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny
KVRAF

Post Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:27 pm

chk071 wrote:My dream soft synth: A mélange of the best parts of the synth i already have. :) With a little bit of stuff i always wanted in soft synths, but never found in any. Like the huge sweet spot, and very high quality in all components found in a few hardware synths. There'd be no need for a mélange anymore either, that way.
I think that I'm going to start a new thread with the title "What would be for you the worst nightmare synth ?" (with or without references to actual models)
:hihi:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Stefken
KVRian
910 posts since 9 Nov, 2016

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:08 am

I don't think it can exist.
There are different flavors like Arp, Moog, DX7, PPG and then some.
If you even could combine all these, you would have a monster synth that would be very hard to grasp.

And even then you would not have the full spectrum of flavors possible.
There are always niche synths that have a certain je ne sais quoi that you would not be able to replicate.
Last edited by Stefken on Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackWinny
KVRAF

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:49 am

Stefken wrote:I don't think it can exist.
There are different flavors like Arp, Moog, DX7, PPG and them some.
If you even could combine all these, you would have a monster synth that would be very hard to grasp.

And even then you would not have the full spectrum of flavors possible.
There are always niche synths that have a certain je ne sais quoi that you would not be able to replicate.
I can even say that most of us wouln't probably like it to exist.

Because it would sign the death sentence of the market. It would ruin the interest of all the other developers and make most of them disappear, and it would kill also the pleasure of the diversity. Everybody would want to use it, and finally the brand which has released that synth would behave a bit like a "master of the world of the synths", a kind of worldwide hegemony.

In fact what is the dreamy stuff : I think that it would not be all in a unique synth, but rather several synths which all have totally different features each others so that they all bring their own part to the inspiration of the musician, and where all musicians can be appealed by a feature (so a synth) at a moment and appealed by another feature (so another synth) at another moment. And that situation remains the best also to ensure the life of the developers and their imagination for yet new features and to remain opened also the opportunity of an hypothetic next new type of synthesis.
:phones:

Michael L
KVRAF
2555 posts since 25 Jan, 2014 from the End of the World as we Knowit

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:21 am

No, if there was a "master of the synth world" people would get tired of it, sell it cheap, and it would become a cult collectors item until the next gen rediscovers and clones it. Been there...

wagtunes
KVRAF
14900 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:59 am

See, here's why I WOULD want a synth that could sound like anything.

Right now, when I do a track, I have to sift through 100 VSTs looking for JUST the right one to do the job that I need done for that particular track. And for songs with 10, 20 or more tracks, I could easily use 10 different VSTs. It gets tiresome looking through all that stuff. With just ONE VST, all I have to do is just pull it up and dial in the sound I want.

That would rid me of so much stuff and make my Cubase load faster since it wouldn't have to read through all those VSTs.

So that's why I'd want just one synth to do it all.

.jon
KVRAF
5502 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:27 pm

wagtunes wrote:See, here's why I WOULD want a synth that could sound like anything.

Right now, when I do a track, I have to sift through 100 VSTs looking for JUST the right one to do the job that I need done for that particular track. And for songs with 10, 20 or more tracks, I could easily use 10 different VSTs. It gets tiresome looking through all that stuff. With just ONE VST, all I have to do is just pull it up and dial in the sound I want.

That would rid me of so much stuff and make my Cubase load faster since it wouldn't have to read through all those VSTs.

But that's a failure to set up your virtual studio. I never sift through any synths, I pick one from my 6 VSTis that suits the task best.

Having 94 more alternatives would make no sense whatsoever.

Cinebient
KVRAF
4015 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:29 pm

wagtunes wrote:See, here's why I WOULD want a synth that could sound like anything.

Maybe, but a synth so complex which could create any sound would be maybe more complicated to use than a DAW.
I mean i think i already have kind of my dream synths for specific sounds.
Of course if i could get one child of P900, Model D app, Zeeon, Alchemy and Repro i would not say no to it.

himalaya
KVRAF
4956 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:19 am

Alchemy2 with the resynthesis guts from Harmor, and the VA engine from RePro and Cypher2. Plus a well developed wavetable synthesis engine. If it also had Redmatica's Autosampler and KeyMapPro built in, I'd be in heaven.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design

dune_rave
KVRian
1228 posts since 23 Jun, 2006 from Hungary

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:32 am

Imho there's no such thing like "dream soft synth". Considering the many superb synth available today, even the freeware rocks! So there's nothing to dream of.

recursive one
KVRAF
3847 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:39 am

Viper 64 bit with a wavetable engine.

Rapid with an FM oscillator.

Zebra3 (sure, it will be the synth to end all synths, nobody will be using any other synths anymore. Luckily Urs is a very big-hearted guy so he delays the release as much as possible in order to let other synth comanies live a bit longer)

Well, my dream synth would comprise various syntehsis methods (VA, wavetable, FM, perhaps some granular), have huge unison for making these big and fat hypersaws (yes, I still love the hypersaws!), a variety of filters (clean digital ones, juicy circuit-modelled ones, some exotic ones like vowel and comb, but I don't need 30 different filters, it must be quality over quantity), some performance features like arp/stepper/mseg (Spire and Dune2 are great examples of how this should be done), great effects rack with variety of ditortions, phasers, bitrcushers etc, all effect parameters must be accessible in a modmatrix. But the most important part is that this all must be finetuned to sound great together, I want my dream synth to cover most of sounds used in such geners as psytrance, psychill, D&B and have big fat sound, like Diva or Repro, capable of doing smooth pads, edgy agressive leads and weird SFX.

That's IMO the problem with synths like Avenger, Zebra2, Synthmaster - there is a lot packed into them but it doesn't provide that kind of "synergy" like Virus TI does. I mean, it's possble to make huge variety of sounds in Zebra2 but because of it's generic, neutral character it takes a lot of time to find the sweet spots. I have a lot of free Zebra patches which I have donwloaded from U-He site and many of them show quite impressive and complex sound-design but the base sound is still somehow boring and uninspiring. On the other hand, almost everything that comes from Repro1/5 makes my ears smile, but they are too limited as they stick to their analogue protoypes too much. I want something in-between, that is flexibility + great sound character.

That's not to say it is not possible to make great sounds and great music with what we already have.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Cinebient
KVRAF
4015 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:29 am

Zebra 3 might be a great candidate but it still would lack sample import, audio rate modulation and some other stuff.
Also i doubt it will be here anytime soon :)

fmr
KVRAF
8511 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:59 am

Cinebient wrote:Zebra 3 might be a great candidate but it still would lack sample import, audio rate modulation and some other stuff.
Also i doubt it will be here anytime soon :)
Zebra with the sample based oscillators and sample manipulation as I described in my post would be very close to my dream synth :)
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”