Looking for UI artist for total redesign of my plugins

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is quite ugly.

Elan Hickler here, owner of Soundemote.

I am looking for a UI artist to submit ideas of how we can take our business to the next level aesthetically. I will not be accepting resumes. Visual ideas only. :tu:

- We will also need to show modulation current depth and current value, so that would be things like secondary pointers on knobs and secondary pie shapes.

- We will need a way to fit many LFOs and modulation options into convenient user experience, maybe that means less on screen, more pages, maybe that means show/hide features, etc. We are open to everything.

- You don't need to redesign the entire UI in the visual idea you are submitting, just enough to give me an idea of a direction.

- I don't think I need to say this, but just in case: This is not a programming job; we are looking for a digital / visual artist to provide image assets.

Once I accept your idea, you will be hired on for the aesthetic direction of the Oscilloscope Music Synthesizer series and we will discuss compensation and time frame.

I know this might be the wrong respond in regards to getting the job, but i really like it. Now it does need some depth, an clarity, but i like the general layout and the palette. Do you have any reference imagery, any styles you favor over others ? Your pick for most aesthetic plugin to date, for instance.

No resumes? Just so that I understand you correctly, you want people to do the (or some of the) work upfront, so that you can sift through their work, and finally decide which you like best with the "promise" of possibly hiring them for an undisclosed amount?

Are you a designer trying to get inspiration? :?: :scared: :!:

Architeuthis wrote:I will not be accepting resumes. Visual ideas only
You’re essentially running a design competition where you get to pick the winning entry. Zero risk for you, and no guarantee of payment for anyone who submits a design. That sort of arrangement is not looked on favourably by professional designers, who typically like to be paid for their time ;)
Oblivion Sound Lab
Synthesizer soundsets and audio plugins
https://oblivionsoundlab.com

I have an idea- please stop it hurting my eyes!!! :P

I'm not a design professional but I am design educated...so I have an opinion :hihi:

I actually like the contrast between the minimalistic GUI elements and your plugins's purpose of providing highly customisable pretty visuals. Atm the minimalism is kinda like a blank slate, and it invites playful experimentation.
l think you have to be really careful of the aesthetic you go for, as seeing as your plugins are aimed at visual types, you could kinda alienate some if your GUI design is too prescriptive in terms of "this plugin is supposed to appeal to THIS demographic"...if that makes any sense.

If there's no glaring user experience issues I wouldn't change a thing. But if you want to change the GUI UX and visual feedback then do so... just be cautious about it.
I'd suggest a GUI inspired by FAW Circle 1 (not 2...they kinda lost the finesse or something with 2 imo)
Apqualizer 1 is very similar to what u have currently, but imo it comes across as really pleasing for such a minimalistic look.
Ableton Live generally looks great too.

binaryoblivion wrote:
Architeuthis wrote:I will not be accepting resumes. Visual ideas only
You’re essentially running a design competition where you get to pick the winning entry. Zero risk for you, and no guarantee of payment for anyone who submits a design. That sort of arrangement is not looked on favourably by professional designers, who typically like to be paid for their time ;)
Agreed. Just don't do this. I'm not even a graphic designer and I hate when people do this to graphic designers.

New graphic designers: realize that your hard work may be wasted if OP says "nah, don't like it". You never signed a contract, so he has no legal ground to pay you unless he wants to.

With that said, I like the rigid pixel/rectangle design. Perhaps just choose an established color pallete (e.g. base16) and release it.
VCV Rack, the Eurorack simulator

I think that the UI is good on the current design, maybe it would benefit from more differentiation between the different sections, with color or value contrast.

Also, a nice color scheme would make the interface look better.

are you really looking for a UX designer?

This looks like a plug-in designed for ultimate control of what it does, and in that respect the current UI is functional, if a little unnecessarily blocky and scientific looking but nerds will like it. It has a shit ton of parameters - If you removed a lot of the parameters/control, and made more decisions about UX, limiting the range of options - you could have yourself a product with much more broad appeal - but then the nerds will complain.

this is 1 of the key challenges of plug-in development ! the reason why haven't released dronebox 3 !

That big font should look a little pixelated, like Minecraft, and the design would be complete:)
~stratum~

I like UIs, they broadcast that theyre VSTs for geeks.

And of course they sound awesome, like complex oscillators from the modular world :)

Id like to see you port your ideas to VCVRack
Amazon: why not use an alternative

:roll: Is there nothing people on this site won't whine and complain about? Seriously, it gets tiring. :dog:
Last edited by Russell Grand on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Double double

Russell Grand wrote::roll: Is there nothing people on this site won't whine and complain about? Seriously, it gets tiring. :dog:
Who is complaining? This GUI has a refreshing design. Like it was done in the good old days.
~stratum~

It's like looking directly at the sun. GUI = too bright imho.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”