Two...Things (Electronic Post-Rock/Ferngully Metal)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trying out some new approaches and techniques after spending way too long making derivative instrumental electronic stuff in Ableton. Would really appreciate some feedback on how it's sounding, just moved overseas and don't have my usual music crew around giving me opinions. These aren't exactly finished yet.

And because we're all gearwhores...the guitars are mainly using Kazrog's Fueled Blue and S-Gear amp sims, performed, then fed into Ableton's Simpler, sliced, stretched with different warp modes and then performed again with a keyboard. Same situation with the vocals. Synths are a combination of Zebra, Massive, Hive and Wavestation. i'm trying to pick just one or two, but those four are proving stellar for different things, can't really make a call. Drums are an amalgam of different sample libraries and layers in Drum Rack (acoustic+electronic). ValhallaDSP's Room is all over everything, i'm trying to find just one setting that works for both spacious vox/guitars but also for a little more drum width. That's proving difficult.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/izalith/gravity-wip

https://soundcloud.com/izalith/false-beginner-wip

very ambientously:))) from start - good climates.

only listened to gravity. cool song, but can benefit from more high end sizzle. and a little more loudness on everything. enjoyed :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Definitely agree about the high end, particularly on the first song...though i think Soundcloud really muddies up the bass and makes everything sound like it was recorded in a garage. As far as loudness goes, these are just mixes and i mix super quiet. Never master in the session.

Gravity
layzer wrote:Can benefit from more high end sizzle.
In the more guitar-driven parts, the mix sounds a little lacking in body more than anything. There's fizz and balls aplenty, but nothing in the middle.

Sounds better when the extra guitar comes in at the end and the mix is nice and full.

In terms of the song itself, it's an interesting blend of styles, and I like that.

False Beginner
Lovely intro!

Overall the mix sounds better because you've got more stuff filling up that massive gap in the mids here. Thins out again around 3:20 when it goes more guitar, but not as extreme as in Gravity.

So in summary, I think you either need to get rid of the smile on your guitar EQ, or fill up the mids with something else, like a couple of synths. It's fine when it's not just the guitars and beat.

Gravity I like it. I think the vocals can use some EX either make it a little more dirty or add some reverb or delay. The snare can use a little more pop to me it sounds dull

I like the guitar in False Beginner the drums (maybe the panning) for me is distracting. Like Gravity I think the vocals need some kind effects too clean for me.

I like both mixes sounded good on headphones

Thanks for the careful feedback!
sjm wrote:I think you either need to get rid of the smile on your guitar EQ, or fill up the mids with something else
Weird. The midrange on my amp sim is cranked all the way up to 10 and only a post cut of a few db's at 250hz. :? i'll try some things. Maybe add more to the midrange of the bass synths...?

I liked them, but I agree with layzer, they could use a little more loudness. I ran it through Sound Forge Wave Hammer (brick wall compression) _twice_, and I must admit it made the crunchy guitars pop. For Gravity, that worked for me :-)

Return to “Music Cafe”