28%
14%
5%
5 or more
14%

Total votes: 138

RELATED
PRODUCTS

As a diehard Propellerhead Reason lover of 13+ years, Reason is the weakest in the DAW department by miles, hands down. When using Reason as the "Primary DAW" it falls short in so many areas its silly -- any serious DAW out there does "DAW" better.

I use Reason and Reaper (its pretty much a given that if you use Reason, you need a real DAW as well), however I hope one day Propellerhead aspires Reason to be more than a glorified creative station and get down to the business at hand... becoming the DAW it wants to be.
Have you tried Vital?

I could spend all day making up excuses why G.A.S. is okay, but at that point it's probably time to seek therapy.
It's time to set the flux capacitor to 2018, bye bye VST2 and 32 bit.

poleda wrote:I could spend all day making up excuses why G.A.S. is okay, but at that point it's probably time to seek therapy.
:idea:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Using multiple DAW's is an exercise in procrastination from experience. There is no way to become PROFICIENT at multiple DAW's and I'm talking getting lightening fast with their operation, keyboard shortcuts, editing moves etc. without enormous time expenditure. That's where you want to be, where music in the head get's into the DAW without THINKING!

Every DAW has different ways of editing, different shortcuts, different methodology to get work done. I think often one thinks they are working when they are taking time to study and figure out how to operate a complex piece of software like a DAW. But studying is not creating music and getting it out the door.

To get music out the door, and thus get paid, one has to focus and consolidate their efforts and work on actual music. To most, playing with all the myriad distractions like plugins you don't need, multiple DAW's can result in a lifetime of procrastination. Fine if you want to tinker, but for those who aspire to support themselves financially, it's sabotage...
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

InLight-Tone wrote:Using multiple DAW's is an exercise in procrastination from experience. There is no way to become PROFICIENT at multiple DAW's and I'm talking getting lightening fast with their operation, keyboard shortcuts, editing moves etc. without enormous time expenditure. That's where you want to be, where music in the head get's into the DAW without THINKING!

Every DAW has different ways of editing, different shortcuts, different methodology to get work done. I think often one thinks they are working when they are taking time to study and figure out how to operate a complex piece of software like a DAW. But studying is not creating music and getting it out the door.

To get music out the door, and thus get paid, one has to focus and consolidate their efforts and work on actual music. To most, playing with all the myriad distractions like plugins you don't need, multiple DAW's can result in a lifetime of procrastination. Fine if you want to tinker, but for those who aspire to support themselves financially, it's sabotage...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have you tried Vital?

InLight-Tone wrote:Using multiple DAW's is an exercise in procrastination from experience. There is no way to become PROFICIENT at multiple DAW's and I'm talking getting lightening fast with their operation, keyboard shortcuts, editing moves etc. without enormous time expenditure. That's where you want to be, where music in the head get's into the DAW without THINKING!

Sure, but we are artist's, we always seek for new excitement and inspiration, sometimes it's the new soundest for a synth, sometimes new synth, collaboration, sometimes just getting little out of the box like working in another DAW.

After working for years in Logic and getting to know all the stuff so well in it, I can tell you that working in Bitwig gave me relief and I actually started enjoying making music again, so freakin effortless, when I think starting project in Logic I got sick, there's some hoops I don't like taking anymore, but there's some stuff I really want to have, neither of them are fully doing it, but I took both for what they are worth and life is good again, start project, experiment and be creative in Bitwig (such an resource hog), move on to work further and collaborate in Logic (this thing is so optimised).
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote: After working for years in Logic and getting to know all the stuff so well in it, I can tell you that working in Bitwig gave me relief and I actually started enjoying making music again, so freakin effortless, when I think starting project in Logic I got sick, there's some hoops I don't like taking anymore, but there's some stuff I really want to have, neither of them are fully doing it, but I took both for what they are worth and life is good again, start project, experiment and be creative in Bitwig (such an resource hog), move on to work further and collaborate in Logic (this thing is so optimised).
Well said, makes a lot of sense. I think I could benefit by having multiple time sigs at different tempi at the same time (I can work around it in Cubase but specifically impossible as described) but I would 'produce' a final result in Cubase, period. The other exercise would be a scratchpad. But it would provide a sort of relief.

It's NOT such an issue I'm going to throw money at it, though.

It's time to set the flux capacitor to 2018, bye bye VST2 and 32 bit.

InLight-Tone wrote:There is no way to become PROFICIENT at multiple DAW's and I'm talking getting lightening fast with their operation, keyboard shortcuts, editing moves etc. without enormous time expenditure. That's where you want to be, where music in the head get's into the DAW without THINKING!

Every DAW has different ways of editing, different shortcuts, different methodology to get work done. .
You know I still don't know all of the controls in my Mercedes, but you know I get the job done. My motorcycle might be a different story, but I can still jump on that and get the job done. One thing I can guarantee for sure is that I had better become " lightening fast" and "Proficient" while using either one, no matter the operation, shortcuts, or moves involved.

That's utterly absurd to think just because you might choose to use one mode of transportation, the rest are stupid for wasting their time using other means to get the same job done.

It's what works for you buddy!

Psuper wrote:
Multiple DAWS is fun if you are just putzing around, but if you make a ton of music and have been for a long time and want to keep your original tracks, its a gigantic PITA.

I've made no assumptions, you've made the assumptions - you're still going on about some "conversion" to one DAW among other assumptions I've no idea where you're pulling them from. You need comprehension training Machinesworking, seriously. Having me state the same thing over and over isn't helping you at all here.

Quoting again (please pay attention this time):
I didn't replicate anything in a new DAW, I backed up every project I created in multiple DAWs, to be able to be used in any future DAW - huge difference.
I stated consistently the primary reason someone might want to avoid using multiple DAWs if they make a lot of music. Can't be any more clear, nor more simplistic in the reasoning. Doesn't apply to everyone, no one said its supposed to.
However I don't believe most people actually utilize multiple DAWs the way we would envision them doing so. Sounds hip I suppose...
The parts in bold, if you can't see the contradictions then I think you're the one projecting with your whole ad hominem about me needing reading comprehension. It really couldn't be any more clear, you have stated that multiple DAW users are putzing around.

I find this whole thread weird that way? I've never had a problem making music in any DAW, whether it was one I used consistently for years or one I just started learning the week before. I'm not a production machine, I don't have deadlines, I'm not making backing tracks for commercials or TV shows, I write music for bands and solo projects I'm involved in. It never has bothered me to look up a rare feature in a DAW, and I don't get at all the hostility you and others are showing towards anyone using more than one DAW? It especially doesn't make sense when you admit to using Reaper on top of Reason...

I was not trying to bring the typical KVR multi thread bickering into this, I just don't see how you or anyone else wouldn't respond back to someone using terms like "putzing around", accusations of hipster behavior etc. about someone else's process, and you clearly did that.

Topcheese wrote:
InLight-Tone wrote:There is no way to become PROFICIENT at multiple DAW's and I'm talking getting lightening fast with their operation, keyboard shortcuts, editing moves etc. without enormous time expenditure. That's where you want to be, where music in the head get's into the DAW without THINKING!

Every DAW has different ways of editing, different shortcuts, different methodology to get work done. .
You know I still don't know all of the controls in my Mercedes, but you know I get the job done. My motorcycle might be a different story, but I can still jump on that and get the job done. One thing I can guarantee for sure is that I had better become " lightening fast" and "Proficient" while using either one, no matter the operation, shortcuts, or moves involved.

That's utterly absurd to think just because you might choose to use one mode of transportation, the rest are stupid for wasting their time using other means to get the same job done.

Music is an ethereal beast, much different than driving a car or a motorcycle. Music is capturing vibration and emotion, as abstract as it gets, and the efficient capturing of said vibration when one is hot in the moment is key. Music is so ephemeral, you have to capture it while it is still floating through the mind before it dissipates. Multiple DAW's can be a liability when it comes to efficient capture especially if you are semi-proficient at each.

But by all means drive your "mercedes" and your motorcycle as you see fit, (not that I believe you have either)....

InLight-Tone wrote: Music is an ethereal beast, much different than driving a car or a motorcycle. Music is capturing vibration and emotion, as abstract as it gets, and the efficient capturing of said vibration when one is hot in the moment is key. Music is so ephemeral,

But by all means drive your "mercedes" and your motorcycle as you see fit, (not that I believe you have either)....
This is even more absurd than the last. You don't believe my words, but then go on to say it's nothing to driving a luxury vehicle or a motorcycle. That automatically lets us all know you've never even ridden in one.

I could say the same thing about a meal, lovemaking, and certain cologne/perfume. It's such an "ethereal" experience ... sorry, better luck next time.

You are right that you have to be good at what you do, but just because we all can master "walking" doesn't mean we all have to be gold medalist in the Olympics. Too funny!

Only an idiot would "wear" perfume or cologne, (chemicals) that make you sick...

I use Bitwig and S13 mainly; BW for EDM, CV control etc, it# fast and a lot of fun. S13 for predominantly audio tracks (it hosts melodyne studio!). I also have Cubase 9,5 which I picked up realy cheap and thought it was worth having for the compositional stuff and some of the plugs (pad shop pro etc) and sampler track etc, but I find S1 faster and cleaner in most cases...,I still have a licence for Live 9 suite but I plan to sell that, tan BW and Live for some time but BW definitely does everything I need for loop, experimental and EDM type stuff.

It’s possible that if BWS had better audio and midi editing and Melodyne integration I could just use 1 DAW, but it’s just a hobby for me, I don’t need to be productive or efficient, it just needs to be fun and I like tinkering with new software!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

InLight-Tone wrote:
Topcheese wrote:

Music is an ethereal beast, much different than driving a car or a motorcycle. Music is capturing vibration and emotion, as abstract as it gets, and the efficient capturing of said vibration when one is hot in the moment is key. Music is so ephemeral, you have to capture it while it is still floating through the mind before it dissipates. Multiple DAW's can be a liability when it comes to efficient capture especially if you are semi-proficient at each.

leaving out that you called a large amount of people idiots for behavior not related to any musical discussion...

I think you have a valid point. If your goal and needs are to be a production powerhouse and you have to have volume to your creative output because you aspire to making money, then you should probably know a DAW to a level that you describe, and be able to perform any task quickly and without need to consult documentation. This, in years past was a large part of the "why everybody in the music biz needs to use Pro Tools" argument.

your other point about music being ethereal mystical and other assorted adjectives is crap. the reason you need to capture musical ideas quickly is because people are distracted, generally lazy, lose inspiration, and have a short attention span; and creativity of this sort is best captured by a notebook, quick audio snippets sung or played into your smart phone, or jammed on long enough to commit fully to memory (the between the ears type of memory, not RAM) the DAW is not the greatest way of capturing that sort of thing even if you know it intimately, because a) you aren't likely to be anywhere near it, and b) its still a barrier.

There's another sort of creativity where you set aside time to be creative, sit at your gear, and try to will a spontaneous creation from force of effort. I usually refer to this as "making another terrible 8 bar loop that will come to nothing", but this does indeed, among the amount of questionable content, some real gems emerge. Now here, your intimate knowledge of your DAW of choice can help loads, but also you can find that opening up another DAW and being forced to confront a different way of working will give you a creative spark that you might not get from staring yet again at your workhorse, and you may end up with an inspiring idea you would not have otherwise had. In a similar vein MANY epic songs and sounds have been created by artists screwing around with equipment they didn't understand fully. rules and procedures tend to make your mind rigid and uncreative, as opposed to the "what does this knob do?" curiosity.

as well, there are other valid reasons to use multiple DAWs. For me, Reason and Live are my "creative" daws, because they are both inspiring in different ways, and I do my mixing in Cubase. now certainly it is possible to mix in any DAW, but some are better than others in mix workflow and capabilities, and also I have found that separating those chores means I am no longer tempted to constantly be doing mixing duties while I should be arranging, jamming, programming or performing instead. The mixing DAW is the one you want to know absolutely inside and out, but if you are little hazy on some of the more esoteric features of your creative DAW, so much the better sometimes. and really at the end of the day, all the DAWS available are pretty intuitive now when it comes to the normal every day stuff.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”