Ubuntu upgrader wants to trash W8

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sounds good. Please don't forget Collective, Biotek V1 and all the DAW essentials. Some (all?) of them depend on libcurl as well.

Yeah I just noticed this. I can't really see how it's feasible to ship two versions of all of these (and more in the future) products...

Are you not seeing this kind of problem with any other software? Some quick Googling shows that at least some products have been bitten by this...

Only closed source like Spotify. This may be the reason why there is not much interest to fix the problem on the OS side.

I don't know how many functions of libcurl Waveform uses but maybe it would be a solution if you use dlopen/dlsym/dlclose to load the functions manually. This way it would work everywhere.

I guess a stopgap would be to ship with your own statically linked libcurl.so :scared:

farlukar wrote:I guess a stopgap would be to ship with your own statically linked libcurl.so :scared:
We did think of that but I don't think any statically linked solution would work on other, non-Ubuntu versions of Debian...
Benutzername wrote:I don't know how many functions of libcurl Waveform uses but maybe it would be a solution if you use dlopen/dlsym/dlclose to load the functions manually. This way it would work everywhere.
That might be an idea... I just wonder if there are some dependancies in the header I'm not aware of, such as this CURL_OPENSSL_3

Maybe this might help a little: https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/competitors.html
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Quick update everyone. We've now found a solution that enables us to ship only a single binary.
Thanks to the suggestion from Benutzername I've made some changes to only load the required symbols and dynamically, on-demand at run-time.

As you may have guessed, this does however mean we'll have to rebuild all of our plugins with this new method. Hopefully we'll have an update out by the end of the week.

Thanks to all the comments and suggestions here!

Amazing good news .... I'll be installing Ubuntu 18.04 soon so , I'm kinda waiting for this .

Awesome! Thank you, Devs.
Making Bitpop music....
Tracktion Waveform 11 under Ubuntu 20.04.
ROC CUbe Ryzen 3400G - 32GB RAM, 2xSSD, Integrated Radeon RC Vega 11 GPU
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

Ok everyone, I've got new betas of Waveform 9, Collective, DAW Essentials and BioTek 2. You'll have to grab the 9.2.5 beta bundle from here which contains them all: https://marketplace.tracktion.com/shop/ ... rchive?v=9

These version should work with Ubuntu 18.04 & 16.04.

On older distros, you may get a message upon startup that you need to install libcurl. This is done with the usual apt-get method. Let me know if you have any problems of incompatibilities.

Thanks for being so patient!

Ubuntu 18.04 here. Just upgraded to 9.2.5 and had this error:
Untitled.png
I did a bandaid fix of:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s libcurl.so.4 libcurl.so
Cheers,
Gavin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Making Bitpop music....
Yamaha USB Mixing Station, Mackie Reference Monitors & Axiom A.I.R 32 controller.

Really, curl doesn't install that symlink automatically? That's standard practice for libraries...

I didn't even have to install libcurl on my Ubuntu 18.04, it was there already. Are you doing some kind of "light" install?

At least we know the loading of the symbols works and W9 and plugins are usable on 18.04 now!

Well, the last fresh install was 16.04 for me and upgraded to every version since. Also, and perhaps from upgrading, my libcurl was at 3.
I had to (with my current 18.04) remove libcurl3 and install libcurl4 via the synaptic package manager.
There's a good chance it could be a quirk with my install over years of deb package munging. Perhaps this weekend I'll do a fresh install in a VM and see what it does - if time permits.

Just thought I'd flag it in case. You would think it would symlink but I know Ubuntu do some odd things with packages too.

G.
Making Bitpop music....

Using Opensuse leap 42.3:
There is also no symlink for libcurl.so - only for libcurl.so.4 which points to libcurl.so.4.3.0 .
So I had to setup set up manually.

I've done a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 in a VM. Waverform installs with no dependency complaints however when I go to run Waveform, it can't find libcurl.so as there is no symlink for libcurl.so back to libcurl.so.4.
Screenshot from 2018-06-26 08-29-57.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Making Bitpop music....

Return to “Tracktion”