Reason 10.1 free update ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

chk071 wrote:Don't think i'll ever get this "I feel mistreated" attitude when things go on sale.
I literally have this conversation. Every. Time. ..with my clients when they question why new clients get a better deal than they did the year earlier (leases). It's the nature of the beast. Purchasing anything at any given time is a risk. One has to weigh the benefits against the risk and act accordingly.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

For me, products going on sale have a massive advantage against static prices, also for the customers. It allows the early adopters to get what they're after, right now, and it allows the people who need to watch their expenses to get stuff they normally couldn't or wouldn't be able to afford. I find it especially beneficial for audio software, because, let's be honest, it's all very expensive, because it's such a small market.

I wouldn't even know where the game branche would be now, if they hadn't sales after a year, where 50 € games get sold for 10-20 €. It surely produces a LOT of additional sales, in time where they usually would have no sales at all.

chk071 wrote:For me, products going on sale have a massive advantage against static prices, also for the customers. It allows the early adopters to get what they're after, right now, and it allows the people who need to watch their expenses to get stuff they normally couldn't or wouldn't be able to afford. I find it especially beneficial for audio software, because, let's be honest, it's all very expensive, because it's such a small market.

I wouldn't even know where the game branche would be now, if they hadn't sales after a year, where 50 € games get sold for 10-20 €. It surely produces a LOT of additional sales, in time where they usually would have no sales at all.
Agreed, though I'm pretty sure the entitled "gimme everything now and give it to me free" generation will disagree with us. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

* Note: that comment is NOT directed towards anyone in this thread.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:
chk071 wrote:Don't think i'll ever get this "I feel mistreated" attitude when things go on sale.
I literally have this conversation. Every. Time. ..with my clients when they question why new clients get a better deal than they did the year earlier (leases). It's the nature of the beast. Purchasing anything at any given time is a risk. One has to weigh the benefits against the risk and act accordingly.
But then there are companies like PSP and FabFilter who have cumulative discounts so the more products you own, the greater discount you get. I do get annoyed that Props lure new customers with freebies but rarely do anything similar to appreciate longtime customers who have kept their company afloat over the years.

Winstontaneous wrote: But then there are companies like PSP and FabFilter who have cumulative discounts so the more products you own, the greater discount you get.
I'm 100% positive that some would argue that that is unfair towards the people who are new to their products. And so the cycle continues, on and on, because everyone is just hanging to their own personal view, without seeing a bigger picture, or actually realizing that both sides benefit from market dynamics.

Winstontaneous wrote:I do get annoyed that Props lure new customers with freebies but rarely do anything similar to appreciate longtime customers who have kept their company afloat over the years.
I hear you. I feel the same way about Ford, Chrysler, and GM. Whenever I lease, there always seems to be a better deal out 6 months after I sign my contract. It's been like that for over 20 years and drives me crazy. Their "loyalty" programs are worthless.

Winstontaneous wrote:But then there are companies like PSP and FabFilter who have cumulative discounts so the more products you own, the greater discount you get. I do get annoyed that Props lure new customers with freebies but rarely do anything similar to appreciate longtime customers who have kept their company afloat over the years.
I'm a customer since ReBirth RB-338 1.0 and I think it is totally ok that new users get get some benefits and stuff to get them started. The amount of free stuff is a bit questionable as often a new full version of the base application is much cheaper than a naked update for existing users when you subtract all the free stuff. But that's the way it is. I'm a developer myself and I know that a company can only exist with a constant stream of new customers (or by going subscription only but that's another topic).

What I really really really hate are ads in every possible form and shape. So in the last 20 years as a customer of Propellerheads I missed out a lot of free stuff just because I refuse to accept that they constantly flood my inbox with loads of crap. I accept this fact but this doesn't mean that I like it.

So in reality the things are actually not free for existing and loyal customers. These customers will have to actively monitor all social media channels and wade through tons of marketing crap in the newsletters to find the offers. The deal is: Watch all our marketing BS and you'll get a goodie once in a while (but only if you are fast enough to hit the very short time frames).

Just being a loyal customer isn't enough to qualify for free stuff and great offers. This business model is purely marketing driven and not driven by customer satisfaction. That's a shame.

EnochLight wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:I do get annoyed that Props lure new customers with freebies but rarely do anything similar to appreciate longtime customers who have kept their company afloat over the years.
I hear you. I feel the same way about Ford, Chrysler, and GM. Whenever I lease, there always seems to be a better deal out 6 months after I sign my contract. It's been like that for over 20 years and drives me crazy. Their "loyalty" programs are worthless.
Must be the "American" contracts, that would never happen in foreign countries.
It's time to set the flux capacitor to 2018, bye bye VST2 and 32 bit.

poleda wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Must be the "American" contracts, that would never happen in foreign countries.
Perhaps. We tend to do things a little different. ;)

EnochLight wrote:
I heard the cost of living is lower in other countries, it's an option.

poleda wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
I heard the cost of living is lower in other countries, it's an option.
please stay on topic
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

In all seriousness though, it looks like Propellerhead is actually making moves and they are finally giving their long time users what they really want.

I'm just a little upset that it didn't happen sooner.

I really hope that in a next update or upgrade they solve the tiny size of the old racks. At least the ones produced by Propellerhead themselves!

For example, like the VST small bar when you click it appears the plugin. They could make a larger GUI in that pop-up window :)

I might buy a 32" 4k monitor soon, but that would make Reason and some old VST instruments unusable. As much as I love these tools but the visibility would make me stop using them. Let's hope there will be a word about it at least by the developers.

I think Propellerhead is still working on a high resolution GUI. A preview of the new GUI is the Thor iOS App:
Unbenannt.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I must confess: after many years of Reason-only I currently have a hard time considering the Upgrade to v10 (being on 9.5) - despite the new openness of Mattias regarding future plans.

It's not that I cannot create nice music any longer (despite the fact that my feature wishlist is looong). But I begin to lose trust in the Reason core being future-proof. It was badly needed at R9 times already, but R10 neglecting any of the aspects like proper multi-core or multi-threading usage or HiDPI support, leaves me puzzled if it's a good idea to invest more money into this ecosystem. More so since new current (tempting) May Madness Sale is ongoing. But with every purchase I would fear the "lock-in" effect more and more...

I really don't know. On the one hand, I'm not willing to switch, too many things I like about Reason. On the other hand I'd like to invest into a future-proof system which plays well with the current state of the art computers.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”