Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
perpetual3
KVRist
 
191 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Postby perpetual3; Mon May 07, 2018 5:50 pm Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

Gregorius wrote:
perpetual3 wrote:I have issues with the idea of licensing rather than ownership. These ideas originated from real property. I resent the idea that technically, a developer can revoke my license and I lose the product AND the money.

In theory any developer can blacklist your license in its product and your done. Either coded into it or even within the process of homecalling.

perpetual3 wrote:Urs Heckman sounds like he had a great alternative, but I don’t understand copy protection well enough.

He uses a key file... ...like maybe 80% of the audio plugin developers too. 1 leaked license and the plugin got cracked.


Then I was mistaken - I thought he had a process whereby in the event of a crack the program made additional checks and then became unusable.
4gotten5tudio
KVRer
 
3 posts since 7 Dec, 2013

Postby 4gotten5tudio; Tue May 08, 2018 10:11 am Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

Gregorius wrote:
perpetual3 wrote:I have issues with the idea of licensing rather than ownership. These ideas originated from real property. I resent the idea that technically, a developer can revoke my license and I lose the product AND the money.

In theory any developer can blacklist your license in its product and your done. Either coded into it or even within the process of homecalling.

perpetual3 wrote:Urs Heckman sounds like he had a great alternative, but I don’t understand copy protection well enough.

He uses a key file... ...like maybe 80% of the audio plugin developers too. 1 leaked license and the plugin got cracked.


No Key File, just simple Serial in combination with your first and last name.
User avatar
Nielzie
KVRAF
 
8761 posts since 28 May, 2005, from Netherlands

Postby Nielzie; Tue May 08, 2018 10:16 am Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

Rockatansky wrote:Vote with your wallets.

But mine is empty :help:
None are so hopeless enslaved as KVRians with GAS.
chk071
KVRAF
 
15565 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 am Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

Nielzie wrote:
Rockatansky wrote:Vote with your wallets.

But mine is empty :help:

You made a point then. :P

BTW, i probably could take this thread 79% more serious if it hadn't such a totally stupid title. What is this? Kindergarden?
Last edited by chk071 on Tue May 08, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
rasmusklump
KVRian
 
789 posts since 13 May, 2004, from Germany

Postby rasmusklump; Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 am Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

As I now vote with my wallet I ONLY buy iLok or eLicenser stuff as I don't want to deal with Challenge/response anymore, and serial/keyfile gets less and less sadly
Gregorius
KVRist
 
70 posts since 30 Jun, 2015

Postby Gregorius; Tue May 08, 2018 10:27 am Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

4gotten5tudio wrote:No Key File, just simple Serial in combination with your first and last name.

Even worse I think. But I'd consider a key file and a serial the same since it is just the amount of license data that differs not the method itself. And of course because the plugin has to write a key file onto the disc to "remember" at each start if your plugin has already been licensed. Unless they call home at every load :D

perpetual3 wrote:Then I was mistaken - I thought he had a process whereby in the event of a crack the program made additional checks and then became unusable.

He might have such checks but this is also pretty normal I think. But still: a valid license will validate. And if not anymore (because of blacklisting or so) then just someone has to leak another file and done.

rasmusklump wrote:As I now vote with my wallet I ONLY buy iLok or eLicenser stuff as I don't want to deal with Challenge/response anymore, and serial/keyfile gets less and less sadly

A good point in here is using elicenser/iLok stuff in offline environments. And you can just put it into another system and work there. While there is more "registering machines" meanwhile and so on I prefer dongles more & more too.
perpetual3
KVRist
 
191 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Postby perpetual3; Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 am Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

Well, clearly there are some who do accept PACE’s value proposition. I certainly don’t have the need to store my licences on a key and use them in other peoples configurations. I also don’t find the other copy protection mechanisms more cumbersome. I just had to reinstall all of my software and the ILOK projected ones indeed to the most time.

But I certainly do not presume that my anecdotal experience generalizes universally.
perpetual3
KVRist
 
191 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Postby perpetual3; Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 am Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

chk071 wrote:
Nielzie wrote:
Rockatansky wrote:Vote with your wallets.

But mine is empty :help:

You made a point then. :P

BTW, i probably could take this thread 79% more serious if it hadn't such a totally stupid title. What is this? Kindergarden?


He/she is not a native English speaker (Swiss).
chk071
KVRAF
 
15565 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 am Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

Why is the OP written in pretty good English then? Thread title is serious "SCANDAL!!!" style. But then, it's an iLok topic. What can you expect?
User avatar
Synthman2000
KVRist
 
461 posts since 27 Apr, 2016

Postby Synthman2000; Wed May 16, 2018 6:16 am Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

Really sorry to hear your problems and frustration, I think every iLok user could empathize with this. Hugely frustrating and annoying and would make anyone think twice. And I appreciate some of the commentary like there is no benefit to the end user of iLok, and only the developer, that is totally true ! In the end $179.00 is money. But if you are in this at any level of seriousness in audio, music, synthesis and effects, it is not so much in the grand scheme of things. Certainly far from ideal. With any iLok products you have to see this as part of the product premium, unfortunately. Almost like the software's hardware.

That is not a sweet pill to swallow but this is how it has to be viewed. Ultimately iLok software is now losing out as people see these stories. We can understand why people avoid it passionately.

The problem for me is I can hear for myself that some iLok protected software (and other dongled software for that matter) is unmatched so I live with it and these potential annoyances and expenses. It is good for end users that you share your negative experiences so it is clear and in the open what people are getting into.
punkfest2000
KVRist
 
91 posts since 12 Sep, 2005

Postby punkfest2000; Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 pm Re: ILok Rip-Off Scammer

Honestly, if that happens to me, I would be tempted to turn to piracy. All my stuff is legit but this is BS.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Computer Setup and System Configuration