Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
GoRhino
KVRer

17 posts since 1 Mar, 2005, from Sydney, Australia

Postby GoRhino; Sun May 13, 2018 4:51 pm Multiple MIDI inputs from a track - is it possible?

I am trying to route MIDI from a plug-in (ie RapidComposer) to separate tracks of W9 to drive separate instances of various vsti.

There are previous suggestions on this forum, such as:

1. Create a Virtual MIDI input to insert on each instrument track.
2. Joining the MIDI input to MIDI output within an empty rack and insert that rack to instrument tracks.

These do not work for me as:

1. Virtual MIDI inputs seem limited to physical devices (ie keyboards, etc), not tracks.
2. You still have to select one or other of the inputs - I want to have both instruments working in real time at the same time.

The best workaround I have found is to have the vsti as separate elements within a "MIDI splitter rack" - but then all audio is combined inside the rack and so each instrument cannot be easily separately mixed, muted, frozen, etc - which is the point of what I am trying to achieve.

Is there any programming reason why the same MIDI track cannot be used as an input on multiple tracks? That would seem to be the most logical and elegant solution. Second best would be to allow an audio (or indeed MIDI) send within a rack that allows a separate channel of either audio or MIDI to be "returned" to a separate track in the "mixer"?

Any other ideas out there?
chico.co.uk
KVRAF

2091 posts since 17 Jun, 2003

Postby chico.co.uk; Mon May 14, 2018 2:24 am Re: Multiple MIDI inputs from a track - is it possible?

It's unclear what you're trying to do. Do you want to split midi channels, so each track gets different midi channels, or not?

If not, just use your option 2, put the rack after the RapidComposer plugin on one track, and before the audio vsts on your other tracks.

If you want to split midi channels, to separate tracks, put a midi patch bay filter between the rack and the audio vst on your tracks, and filter out the channels you don't want, on that track.
patching.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"
GoRhino
KVRer

Postby GoRhino; Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 pm Re: Multiple MIDI inputs from a track - is it possible?

Thanks - I think the picture is exactly what I want to do. The step I missed was putting a copy of the "midi thru" rack after RC in its track as well as before the plug-ins in the instrument tracks.

Incidentally, I presume that if I armed and recorded any one of the 3 vst tracks, then all of the MIDI output from RC would be recorded to that track (but then filtered as per the "splitter" plug-in)?

How would one just record the audio? Would a render to audio of just one track do the trick? Would freeze also work on just one vsti track?

(not in studio at present so cannot check)

Thanks again
Lutin mutin
KVRist

148 posts since 4 Nov, 2004, from France

Postby Lutin mutin; Tue May 15, 2018 1:04 am Re: Multiple MIDI inputs from a track - is it possible?

Hi GoRhino !

I will suppose that your DAW "preparation" is exactly like the pict proposed by Chico (4 tracks as above mentioned in his last posted picture)...

==> To record your music :
-> Don't allow multiple midi inputs !
You have only to record by midi input in track 1 (allow only midi input of track 1). Why ?
Because he midi rack put on each concerned tracks "distributes" the recorded midi on track 1 to all the concerned tracks...

==> To save / export wav :
- to export only one track : mute all the tracks you don't want to hear and export/render the all tracks ;
- to export only 2 tracks : mute the tracks you don't want hear and export/render the all ; etc...
- to export/render all tracks : ok, I think you know what to do... ;-)

I hope this will help...

Welcome to Tracktion !
Lutin mutin.

Note :
I had the same problem like you have, some years ago...
And it take me a lot of time to understand this "midi rack patch" concept... but when you will really understand it, you will be able to consider how powerfull is this Jules' invention... since T1... in the beginning of the XX century... and this "rack-concept" invention, before all the existing DAWs...
Again, welcome to Tracktion ! :wink:
GoRhino
KVRer

Postby GoRhino; Tue May 15, 2018 3:07 am Re: Multiple MIDI inputs from a track - is it possible?

Unfortunately, I cannot get above to work. Just get a sporadic note or 2 out of each instrument. I am on Windows 7 and Waveform 9.1.1 if that helps.

Same thing happens if I use MIDI keyboard instead of RC. Perhaps if someone could go through the steps of making the Midi Thru rack. Mine looks the same, but maybe I missed something.
GoRhino
KVRer

Postby GoRhino; Wed May 16, 2018 12:45 am Re: Multiple MIDI inputs from a track - is it possible?

It seems this issue has been around for a while. I agree the above midi thru rack solution would be good if it worked, but so far as I can tell it does not in 9.1.1 - maybe it did with earlier versions of the program.

I have, however, worked out how to get separate audio out of racked instruments and then to feed to separate audio channels in the mixer. So I guess that will have to do for now.

Thanks for responding anyway.
chico.co.uk
KVRAF

Postby chico.co.uk; Wed May 16, 2018 3:45 am Re: Multiple MIDI inputs from a track - is it possible?

Just tried this myself, with the FM synth. Does seem to be pretty broken tbh ...
Lutin mutin
KVRist

148 posts since 4 Nov, 2004, from France

Postby Lutin mutin; Wed May 16, 2018 7:24 am Re: Multiple MIDI inputs from a track - is it possible?

Grrrrrrrr... !!!

Same here with W v9.1.9 Beta

Somebody have done a bug report to TSC ?
chico.co.uk
KVRAF

Postby chico.co.uk; Wed May 16, 2018 9:00 am Re: Multiple MIDI inputs from a track - is it possible?

Yeah ...
dRowAudio
KVRian

1186 posts since 30 Dec, 2012

Postby dRowAudio; Wed May 16, 2018 2:50 pm Re: Multiple MIDI inputs from a track - is it possible?

I'm trying to look in to this but can't seem to find the last version where it worked correctly...
Does anyone know the last version of the app where it didn't skip notes?

Moderator: Tracktion Mods

Return to Tracktion