I am thinking of getting a Dell xps 8930

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It has an i7 8700
8gb ram(gonna upgrade to 32gb)
! TB HDD
450watt PSU.
I will add SSD's and upgrade the psu and add HDDs
What do you think Thanks,Bill

bill45 wrote:What do you think
I think buying a gaming rig for DAW usage is always a bit of a gamble...

Why upgrade the PSU? You think 450W is not enough to power a hand full of extra disks?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:
bill45 wrote:What do you think
I think buying a gaming rig for DAW usage is always a bit of a gamble...

Why upgrade the PSU? You think 450W is not enough to power a hand full of extra disks?
I'd want at least 650W for more headroom over time, myself, but also for a quieter part.

However I'd warn the OP that sometimes big-box systems dont have standard mountings for things like PSU. We found that out the annoying way with an HP workstation recently.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

When going for a desktop PC I always prefer building it myself:

- You choose better parts for the PSU, mobo, hard drive and case.
- they are way easier to upgrade down the line, no proprietary parts (many brands use custom MOBOs or RAM models which are more expensive if you want to add more, or the MOBOS just have 2 RAM slots).
- Almost the same price and for high end systems usually cheaper. Or you can sacrifice something like a bit of RAM and invest it in the CPU, PSU, GPU or HD.
-No bloatware form the get go, yeah you can format the HD when you get the computer but why bother? better start totally clean.

You are going to upgrade two parts anyway so why not build the system all by yourself?
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:When going for a desktop PC I always prefer building it myself
Fair enough. Unfortunately, the last time i did that was pretty much a disaster. First time i tried to boot up the system, it showed me nothing but a blank screen. Second time it showed me a bluescreen. It showed the same symptoms in its whole life time. Sometimes, it would work for half a year, flawless, sometimes you got one bluescreen a week. The thing also didn't accept any additional memory. Really weird computer. I almost suspected the mainboard was damaged, due to a technician not discharging himself correctly when he touched one of the components. TBH, that was such a bad experience that i won't buy or build a custom PC anymore.

Why shouldn't a Dell XPS be good for audio though? I read here more than once that someone utilised a Dell XPS for his stuff. Doesn't audio software mostly benefit from single core performance? You could check on processor benchmarks if it's good in that regard.

My XPS 720 still runs.
I used it from 2008-2017.
I've had video card and PSU issues.
I have a spare 750w psu atm, and another 3 video cards that fit it, other than the one in there.
It was the sweetest system when I got it.
I find gaming systems are OK for DAWS.
I have done something similar again with Dell.
I have the AlienWare now- 20 cores up to 4.5 ghz i9

I would recommend you build your own pc instead of the pre build

For cpu get whatever the max you can afford
With a decent cpucooler or liquid cooling from cooler master or bequite

For ram get the basic (no rgb or othe fancy shit) around 12 to 16 gig if you dont use sample libraries on all tracks. I am happy with my 12 gig setup

Hard drives. Get two hard drive of same capacity and run it in raid 0.i mean seriously get two hard drive . i got the bitter taste of hardrive failure in 2016 when i didnt use backup or other stuff. Got the recovery done but boy was i panicked to hell

For gpu. Unless you do a bit of gaming to pass your time get a cheap gtx 1050 or rx 560. Or get a 1070

Psu with 500 watt should be enough un less you use a gpu which needs extra power then get 650 or 700
With maybe 80+ as a minimum
Seasonic is good
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Thanks folks.The graphics will be the integrated intel on the 8700.
not the exact model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7DI2Fah4SA&t=209s

These guys are using HP servers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBqEpOrYBrs&t=4s

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”