Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
fanodu1
KVRist

59 posts since 3 Jun, 2017

Postby fanodu1; Wed May 16, 2018 11:38 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Audjoo Helix, hands down. That thing doesn't get enough love.
Dasheesh
KVRAF

2357 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Fri May 18, 2018 3:08 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

chk071
KVRAF

15523 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Fri May 18, 2018 3:13 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

TBH, if you want to go for something below 50 €, i'd rather save up for something for above 100 €, and instead get an issue of Computer Music mag, and enjoy the loads of magware synths on their, for now. :) IMO, if you buy cheap, below 50 €, you will most likely buy twice.
chk071
KVRAF

15523 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Fri May 18, 2018 3:18 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Stefken wrote:
philsynth wrote:
chk071 wrote:Thanks Scrubbing Monkeys and EnGee for both of your opinion. :) Frankly, judging purely by sound demos, it sounds a tad more on the digital/thin side. Again, i have so many, also free synths, with more or less the same features, which sound good to my ears, and i passionately hate Waves Center, TBH.

Hey, I noticed some of you guys are creating opinions based on sound demos alone. .

The only way to really evaluate a synth and to see whether it is your thing, is to demo it.

True, but, you surely can hear a lot of the general sound character through demos, if they don't happen to be drenched in fx. But, even then, you can surely hear some of its character.
wagtunes
KVRAF

11335 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Fri May 18, 2018 3:44 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

There are only 2 reasons for me to demo a synth.

1. To make sure the GUI is large enough for me to work with.

2. To make sure that it doesn't crash my system.

The sound I can get from the demo. If I don't like what I hear on the web site or wherever it is I have to go to listen to it, nothing is going to make me want to buy it. If I do like the sound, then as long as 1 and 2 above are met, it's a done deal.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this.
Halonmusic
KVRian

1169 posts since 13 Nov, 2015, from Norway

Postby Halonmusic; Fri May 18, 2018 3:46 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

Vortifex wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:Psychic Modulation Phonec 2.

+1, great synth.

:tu:
- 32bit for Life, 32bit Forever -
Examigan
KVRAF

4385 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Fri May 18, 2018 6:49 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

One of the better low price synths is Synthmaster One for $79. ACE is another one. Rob Papen Go2 is pretty cool also, and it’s only $49.
perpetual3
KVRist

185 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Postby perpetual3; Fri May 18, 2018 6:56 am Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

TAL Mod
philsynth
KVRist

30 posts since 16 May, 2018

Postby philsynth; Fri May 18, 2018 4:16 pm Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

The reason I don't trust demos is because it's sort of an advertisement for the product and the developers knows its strengths and weaknesses, will highlight it's strength and show none of the weaknesses, same with users, they're gonna make its sounds it's best. However, I'd rather see it at its worst. imo

Examigan wrote:One of the better low price synths is Synthmaster One for $79. ACE is another one. Rob Papen Go2 is pretty cool also, and it’s only $49.

I was wondering about the Rob Pepen synths since they're on sale. I tried free synthmaster yesterday. It has some really nice samples, however mostly preset based and I might need more customization.

Another deal I saw, however couldn't find any info about was the UVI legacy synth collection from guitar center. It's $50, with 50 classic synths - moogs, korgs, rolands etc. They're sample-based however not preset-based. It's sort of a middle ground, however I couldn't find any sounds of it. Anyone try it?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/UVI/Synth- ... ductDetail
rod_zero
KVRAF

2794 posts since 28 Jan, 2011, from MEXICO

Postby rod_zero; Fri May 18, 2018 6:15 pm Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

philsynth wrote:Another deal I saw, however couldn't find any info about was the UVI legacy synth collection from guitar center. It's $50, with 50 classic synths - moogs, korgs, rolands etc. They're sample-based however not preset-based. It's sort of a middle ground, however I couldn't find any sounds of it. Anyone try it?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/UVI/Synth- ... ductDetail

What is "preset based"?
dedication to flying
philsynth
KVRist

Postby philsynth; Fri May 18, 2018 6:27 pm Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

rod_zero wrote:What is "preset based"?

The software synths I'm referring to when saying "preset based" are synths with no oscillators, nor emulations of oscillators, they are based purely on sampled recordings of premade patches. The software "sample based" synths I'm referring to have emulations of oscillators sampled from basic waveforms of hardware synths. Similarly, though somewhat different, in the hardware realm there are preset based synths like a Korg M1 - based on sampled recordings, and then there are oscillator based synths like a Korg Mono/Poly.
rod_zero
KVRAF

Postby rod_zero; Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 pm Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

philsynth wrote:
rod_zero wrote:What is "preset based"?

The software synths I'm referring to when saying "preset based" are synths with no oscillators, nor emulations of oscillators, they are based purely on sampled recordings of premade patches. The software "sample based" synths I'm referring to have emulations of oscillators sampled from basic waveforms of hardware synths. Similarly, though somewhat different, in the hardware realm there are preset based synths like a Korg M1 - based on sampled recordings, and then there are oscillator based synths like a Korg Mono/Poly.

Definetely we don't use "preset based" as that around here, botch you describe as sampled or preset are sampled based, they use static recordings. There are some sample players that can use the waveform along VA filters, the prime example would be Omnisphere. Totally sampled: Kontakt or those UVI libraries you are looking to.

The alternatives are V.A. or any kind of synth producing the oscilator sound and filter effect in real time, or other kinds of synthesis (as additive, FM, physical modeling). Synthmaster is a VA, the "one" version is limited but it is definitely not limited to using samples as waveforms.
dedication to flying
philsynth
KVRist

Postby philsynth; Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 pm Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

rod_zero wrote:Synthmaster is a VA, the "one" version is limited but it is definitely not limited to using samples as waveforms.

Oh, does "synthmaster one" have oscillators and waveform controls? Cool, I didn't know, I tried the "synthmaster player", which doesn't even have waveform controls. It's just prerecorded patches, with basically a filter cutoff. I guess your referring to the $100 version, I'm referring to the $30 version. [Edit] Yes I just looked up synthmaster one, totally v.a., not the same as synthmaster player. I guess synthmaster player is just a collection of patches made with the synthmaster one engine. It's so limited, I though it was sample based lol. Thanks for clarifying.
Last edited by philsynth on Fri May 18, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rod_zero
KVRAF

Postby rod_zero; Fri May 18, 2018 7:42 pm Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

I think if you want to spend below 100 you could find a copy of massive for 50-60 second hand, that is a great synth to learn to program.
dedication to flying
philsynth
KVRist

Postby philsynth; Fri May 18, 2018 7:55 pm Re: Best Low Price V.A. Soft Synth

rod_zero wrote:I think if you want to spend below 100 you could find a copy of massive for 50-60 second hand, that is a great synth to learn to program.

lol i probably wouldn't have much of qualm spending 50 on massive, serum, spire, sylenth etc. My top choice of expensive popular synths is probably fm8, because i learned to program fm synthesis before anything else. It's probably a good suggestion to just wait for a deal on a more expensive synth. I haven't tried any suggestions around 50 I'd wanna spend money on unfortunately. The repro and arturia prophet were quite nice, however more than 100.

[Edit] Just noticed some new HALion synths. https://www.samplefuel.com/ One's a poly synth, the other's a wavetable. 35 each, 50 both.

[Edit] Just discovered the KVR buy/sell thread other than the marketplace. Nice.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments