I am about to purchase Sylenth1, any other synths to check before buying it?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Aloysius
KVRAF
22054 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from a computer

Post Thu May 17, 2018 7:12 am

Are we there yet?
I didn't get where I am today ...

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Re: I am about to purchase Sylenth1, any other synths to check before buying it?

Post Thu May 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Sylenth1 and serum are a classic combo! Sylenth is just enough analog sounding to complement Serums more clinical sound.

Halonmusic
KVRAF
1596 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: I am about to purchase Sylenth1, any other synths to check before buying it?

Post Fri May 18, 2018 1:13 am

Synth1 or Charlatan. Sylenth1 doesn't even have PWM or osc sync.

layzer
KVRAF
5521 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Fri May 18, 2018 1:19 am

DJ Warmonger wrote:if you want presets, Dune 2 for instance has better.
Listen to this dude. He's a preset expert :wink:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

4damind
KVRAF
4627 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 am

I would check:
Spire, for a typical digital "virtual analog" sound (soundwise a bit in the "Access Virus" direction)
Dune 2, for stacked/unison sounds (soundwise a bit in the "Roland" direction)
Both synth are IMO better than Sylenth.

Examigan
KVRAF
4283 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:28 am

Halonmusic wrote:Synth1 or Charlatan. Sylenth1 doesn't even have PWM or osc sync.
It would be nice if they added PWM, but you can fake it by inverting one of the oscillators and modulating the phase.

Obicere
KVRer
28 posts since 22 Mar, 2016

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:58 am

Something else you might want to bear in mind, (Sylenth1, Serum, Synthmaster (all versions) here) is the CPU use, especially on high quality, some softsynths are really greedy.

chk071
KVRAF
17016 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri May 18, 2018 3:00 am

Examigan wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:Synth1 or Charlatan. Sylenth1 doesn't even have PWM or osc sync.
It would be nice if they added PWM, but you can fake it by inverting one of the oscillators and modulating the phase.
I never found that it sounds the same as real PWM though. Neither in Sylenth1 nor in Monark, which also can do that "trick".

Zexila
KVRAF
3089 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Fri May 18, 2018 3:20 am

Check out Lethal, it's rompler, but it might be just the ticket.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Halonmusic
KVRAF

Post Fri May 18, 2018 3:50 am

Examigan wrote:
True, but would rather have real PWM :D
chk071 wrote:
Examigan wrote:

I never found that it sounds the same as real PWM though. Neither in Sylenth1 nor in Monark, which also can do that "trick".
This.

EnGee
KVRAF
4765 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from New Zealand

Post Fri May 18, 2018 3:54 am

I was playing around today with Sylenth1 and although I wouldn't buy it for the full price (I bought it when in discount for $99), still it is really a great synth. Some other advantages for having Sylenth1 are:
1. The presets can be incremented or decremented from the midi controller (Program Change). Not all synths have that, and actually few have this very handy feature.
2. GUI resize. No need to restart the plugin. This is also means that Sylenth1 is 'Size' proof if buying 4k monitor!
3. It is almost perfect in stability! It is damn stable and there are always updates when they are needed. The last update was free with very nice skins ;)

I bought it after I bought Massive, Largo, Dune 2, (my previous Waldorf blofeld) and other wavetable synths! So, it wasn't for its VA sound and the lovely clear design.
Donate or bid in the "Call to Arms: Charity - 2nd Hand" and/or Visit the main auction here (Till 31st of October 2018).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's donate to help the kids and save our planet.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12002 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:24 am

Examigan wrote:
Is it so difficult to implement those two things? Or does he just not want to change his synth anymore beyond maintenance updates?

Halonmusic
KVRAF

Post Fri May 18, 2018 7:38 am

Probably not.

Examigan
KVRAF
4283 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Fri May 18, 2018 9:04 am

PWM has been requested for a long time now, along with many other ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=411112

chk071
KVRAF
17016 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Fri May 18, 2018 9:07 am

Examigan wrote:PWM has been requested for a long time now, along with many other ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=411112
Had to giggle a bit about that thread, TBH. Has Lennard EVER implemented anything suggested in that thread? :lol:

Return to “Instruments”