SSL Native Plugins Version 6

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
pekbro
KVRAF
1964 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Wed May 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Looks like they updated SSL Native, with a new UI and a subscription option.
Pretty cool for those who grabbed some of them for super cheap as its
a free upgrade. Well worth the $15 I spent :)

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/studio/ssl-native

Rockatansky
KVRist
228 posts since 3 Jun, 2017

Re: SSL Native Plugins Version 6

Post Wed May 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Downloading...

Damn, those screenshots look sleek. But WTF have they done to that poor bus compressor... not everything has to be laid out horizontally just because a computer screen is wider than high... :cry:

edit: Don't know if it's an oversight or just bad interface design, but putting those unit names ("dB", "s") under the knobs in black, and then showing them again when you turn the button and the value display pops up... mh, looks like debug leftovers or something, definitely doesn't look like it belongs like that.
Confucamus.

pekbro
KVRAF
1964 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Wed May 16, 2018 1:09 pm

Yeah the angle on the knobs is a little steep as well IMO, overall very nice though...
*er, maybe not steep enough is more like it.

Rockatansky
KVRist

Post Wed May 16, 2018 1:30 pm

Oooh, yup, that hurts my eyes...

The presets can only be scrolled through with left/right arrows, 80s console style. No popup menus or any other convenience, apart from a "load" file browser dialog.

The most annoying part about this is that presets are alphanumerically sorted, and "Default" comes after a lot of other symbols, like parentheses and letters A-D... I just opened the channel, started skipping through presets to the right, came to a sudden halt after a few clicks. Then I started skipping back to get to the default preset, that's when I noticed that it was possible to continue clicking, and there are actually presets "to the left" of the default.

By the way... no one-click way to return settings back to default. No-go.

Seems like this release was not very thoroughly tested, feels more like a rushed beta, very unfortunately.

edit: Did a quick phase nulling test with v5 and v6 bus compressors. At least they produce identical output (down to -138 dBfs anyway), so that's a relief.
Last edited by Rockatansky on Wed May 16, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Confucamus.

Endor-8o8
KVRian
865 posts since 29 Apr, 2012 from Paris

Post Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Any sound improvements or algorythms revisions ?
"It is better to live one day as a lion than a thousand days as a sheep."

Rockatansky
KVRist

Post Wed May 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Endor-8o8 wrote:Any sound improvements or algorythms revisions ?
See edit to my last post.

I would've wished for Oversampling on/off and a wet/dry mix control. You know, if they re-do it all anyway, why not throw in an improvement. But doesn't look like they went that far.
Confucamus.

poshook
KVRian
673 posts since 31 Aug, 2004

Post Wed May 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Duende Owners
SSL Native V6 plug-ins are completely re-written versions of SSL’s Duende Native V5 plug-ins. The audio algorithms and therefore the tonal characteristics of the plug-ins remain unchanged but there have been a range of improvements which include the new higher resolution user interfaces, and underlying framework changes that will ensure that SSL can effectively support SSL Native plug-ins for many years to come.

Rockatansky
KVRist

Post Wed May 16, 2018 1:46 pm

poshook wrote:underlying framework changes
Probably means "switched to JUCE". :hihi:
Confucamus.

Debutante
KVRAF
2974 posts since 16 Jan, 2005 from Ottawa, Ontario

Post Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 pm

so they basically cahnged the giu. Still got the bus for $29

dreamvoid
KVRist
200 posts since 8 Jun, 2009

Post Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 am

poshook wrote: ... that will ensure that SSL can effectively support SSL Native plug-ins for many years to come.
Except X-Verb unfortunately - which is/was a very good reverb for sound design:

"X-Verb has been discontinued as of SSL Native v6 software and is no longer available to purchase. "

thebutler
KVRist
115 posts since 9 Oct, 2013 from uk

Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am

dreamvoid wrote:
poshook wrote: ... that will ensure that SSL can effectively support SSL Native plug-ins for many years to come.
Except X-Verb unfortunately - which is/was a very good reverb for sound design:

"X-Verb has been discontinued as of SSL Native v6 software and is no longer available to purchase. "
On this, here's what I was sent from SSL (my emphasis):-

"The X-Verb plug-in has been discontinued with the release of SSL Native V6. Users can continue to use their Duende V5 version of X-Verb alongside the rest of the SSL Native V6 plug-ins and the Duende Native V5 plug-in software remains available for download from the SSL web site. SSL has a new reverb plug-in in development which will be added to the SSL Native range in due course, and will be available as a free update to existing Duende Native X-Verb owners."

So, sounds promising... ;-)
Win10 64bit; Core i7; 16Gb RAM; NVIDIA GTX750Ti graphics; 2x Asus 22" HD LCD. Yamaha UR44 audio/MIDI; Yamaha HS80 and Equator Audio Research D5 monitoring.
Cubase Pro v9.5.30; Wavelab Pro v9.5.35; Studio One v3.5.6; Komplete 10; Stylus RMX

dreamvoid
KVRist

Post Thu May 17, 2018 8:38 am

ok, ok ... but I would like to use my presets for serious sound design purposes in the forthcoming years too. I hope they don't drop the old X-Verb. I don't mind the old GUI.

soulone82
KVRian
855 posts since 16 Aug, 2010 from almost everywhere...

Post Thu May 17, 2018 9:03 am

Is it me or is the perspective way off?

dreamvoid
KVRist

Post Thu May 17, 2018 9:09 am

soulone82 wrote:Is it me or is the perspective way off?
You mean mine? Expecting X-Verb to be usable like the other Duende Plug Ins in the future? I have two licenses for the Duende (SSL Native) package and put some serious work into X-Verb presets. X-Verb is very underrated for sound design purposes I think.

soulone82
KVRian
855 posts since 16 Aug, 2010 from almost everywhere...

Post Thu May 17, 2018 9:16 am

dreamvoid wrote:
soulone82 wrote:Is it me or is the perspective way off?
You mean mine? Expecting X-Verb to be usable like the other Duende Plug Ins in the future? I have two licenses for the Duende (SSL Native) package and put some serious work into X-Verb presets. X-Verb is very underrated for sound design purposes I think.
Hahaha sorry, I meant the perspective of the knobs.

Return to “Effects”