Biotek 2 Available Now

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
wagtunes
KVRAF
13313 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sat May 19, 2018 6:00 am

Just got the email. This is what I've been waiting for.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/biotek

Finally, something new that's going to be really great.

mgw38
KVRian
1029 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Re: Biotek 2 Available Now

Post Sat May 19, 2018 6:03 am

Ouch, upgrade is 99 bucks... :(

starflakeprj
KVRian
798 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Sat May 19, 2018 6:53 am

This seems to be a new trend. Trying to make the plugins "premium" by overpricing them.
Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | 3 x Nvidia GTX 780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Arturia AudioFuse | M-Audio Code61
Studio One 4.1 | Reason 10.2 | Bitwig Studio 2.4 | Reaper 5.95 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20 | 460+ VSTs | 170+ Rack Extensions

Gamma-UT
KVRAF
4268 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 am

starflakeprj wrote:This seems to be a new trend. Trying to make the plugins "premium" by overpricing them.
...And then putting them on deep sale later.

If you're an early adopter, you wind up paying well over the odds. $150 when first released. You had to wait for a preset editor that made it usable (and IIRC Tracktion held a sale around when they launched that version). And now it's two-thirds of that initial price for a couple of new oscillators and filters.

emasters
KVRist
196 posts since 17 Mar, 2010

Post Sat May 19, 2018 7:54 am

Gamma-UT wrote:
starflakeprj wrote:This seems to be a new trend. Trying to make the plugins "premium" by overpricing them.
...And then putting them on deep sale later.

If you're an early adopter, you wind up paying well over the odds. $150 when first released. You had to wait for a preset editor that made it usable (and IIRC Tracktion held a sale around when they launched that version). And now it's two-thirds of that initial price for a couple of new oscillators and filters.
Exactly how I feel. Since I already own all the Tracking software products, upgrading to Waveform 9 for me was not the ultimate package. Yet the late adopters who got all the software products with the ultimate upgrade at a deep discount, now get the Biotek 2 upgrade for free. Yet those who paid full price, get to pay $99 to upgrade. I'm through with vendors who penalize early adopters and loyal customers. Very frustrated with this type of pricing model.

generaldiomedes
KVRian
502 posts since 15 Apr, 2017 from Canada

Post Sat May 19, 2018 8:55 am

Looks very interesting and worth the money if that's the sound you are going for. A bit on the harsh side.

recursive one
KVRAF
3657 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Sat May 19, 2018 9:23 am

What kind of synth is this? Va, supersaw, fm, granular, looks great, basically almost everything i typically need in one package. How does it sound, i mean the sound quality/character? Are there any bus or issues? Curious to hear about someones user experience with this synth.

What is the copy protection?
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...

Julien Unison
KVRist
334 posts since 9 Oct, 2006

Post Sat May 19, 2018 10:47 am

mgw38 wrote:Ouch, upgrade is 99 bucks... :(
YES. Really too much asked for this upgrade... For a plugin that is so un-user-friendly that I never used it on any track... :dog:
U N I S O N : shoegaze / electronic / black metal wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

recursive one
KVRAF

Post Sat May 19, 2018 1:16 pm

I wonder if it is even possible to make more weird and abstract sound demos than those they have on their site :? That cinematic/experimental/silke f-ish nonsence, tells nothing about the sound character of the synth. Seems to be a bit on the thin/digital side though.

If someone posted some more down-to-earth sound examples this would be super awesome.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sat May 19, 2018 1:19 pm

recursive one wrote:I wonder if it is even possible to make more weird and abstract sound demos than those they have on their site :? That cinematic/experimental/silke f-ish nonsence, tells nothing about the sound character of the synth. Seems to be a bit on the thin/digital side though.

If someone posted some more down-to-earth sound examples this would be super awesome.
I demo'd Biotek 1 and unless there have been major changes (which I doubt), yes, the sound is on the digital side. It's not a VA. It's not a fat Oberheim. But the modulation routings that are possible are off the charts. Only reason I didn't get Biotek 1 was because I was told 2 was coming out soon and I didn't want to end up paying twice. Going by the upgrade price, I'm glad I waited.

Bottom line for me. It's a powerful synth that can do a lot, thus the price tag that goes with it. You either like the sound or you don't. If you're into VA type stuff with warm, fat sounds, you're probably not going to like Biotek.

recursive one
KVRAF

Post Sat May 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Thank you, Watunes! Well, i love mixing different kinds of sounds in my tracks, contrasting harsh digital tones by warmer analog emulations. So I don't mind a digital sounding one, the variety of synthesis modes, filters and effects as well as the extensive modulation capabilitites look intriguing. I'll definitely demo it later, as they offer time-limited demo (the worst kind of demos imo) i have to postpone it because I won't have an opportunity to play with the demo in next few weeks.

What do you think, how can one compare it, e.g. with Avenger?

Fleer
KVRAF
3803 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Post Sat May 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Incredible upgrade, saws and granular :tu:

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Sat May 19, 2018 3:02 pm

recursive one wrote:Thank you, Watunes! Well, i love mixing different kinds of sounds in my tracks, contrasting harsh digital tones by warmer analog emulations. So I don't mind a digital sounding one, the variety of synthesis modes, filters and effects as well as the extensive modulation capabilitites look intriguing. I'll definitely demo it later, as they offer time-limited demo (the worst kind of demos imo) i have to postpone it because I won't have an opportunity to play with the demo in next few weeks.

I find Avenger's sound a bit warmer. But Avenger, as much as it has under the hood, still falls short of Biotek which is just a few inches short of full blown modular synth. The fixed architecture being the stumbling block.

I am relatively certain that I will find Biotek to be one of my favorite synths to program. It's the first library in a while that I'm excited about coming out with, even if it may not do very well. My gut tells me this isn't going to be a huge selling synth because of the price tag competing with synths like Falcon.

Time will tell.

recursive one
KVRAF

Post Sat May 19, 2018 3:30 pm

wagtunes wrote:
recursive one wrote:Thank you, Watunes! Well, i love mixing different kinds of sounds in my tracks, contrasting harsh digital tones by warmer analog emulations. So I don't mind a digital sounding one, the variety of synthesis modes, filters and effects as well as the extensive modulation capabilitites look intriguing. I'll definitely demo it later, as they offer time-limited demo (the worst kind of demos imo) i have to postpone it because I won't have an opportunity to play with the demo in next few weeks.

I find Avenger's sound a bit warmer. But Avenger, as much as it has under the hood, still falls short of Biotek which is just a few inches short of full blown modular synth. The fixed architecture being the stumbling block.

I am relatively certain that I will find Biotek to be one of my favorite synths to program. It's the first library in a while that I'm excited about coming out with, even if it may not do very well. My gut tells me this isn't going to be a huge selling synth because of the price tag competing with synths like Falcon.

Time will tell.
Thanks. Well, definitely need to demo it.

Dunc
KVRist
437 posts since 17 Jun, 2003 from UK 'ish

Post Sat May 19, 2018 11:34 pm

Has anybody tried the Trial version yet?
I have Biotek 1 ( version 1.69 ) so I thought I'd try the trial of version 2.
Installed version 2 ok.
Try to open in REAPER ( version 5.8 and 5.9 RC5 ) and REAPER crashes and closes before even opening Biotek 2.
Just tried in Cubase 9.5 and the same happens to there - crash and die.
I've submitted a report to their Support system - stopped short of asking them if they even tested it on another DAW than Waveform ( who knows, maybe it even crashes Waveform ).

Windows 10 Home 64bit with latest updates applied.
Last edited by Dunc on Sat May 19, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”