Fluctuate a VST/AU Midi Plug-in Beta Thread

Official support for: hgsounds.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

oh I see, I hadn't noticed that, it's common with VST. It did scan and load fine when I tested though so it does seem to be possible. I've updated the installer which now includes separate installers for VST and AU and now the AU component installs to the root of components. Thanks for pointing it out, I haven't really used AUs at all.

Great work!

Working well here on Ableton 10, WIn 10.

Couple of observations
- The Install Data folder and the Uninstaller program are put into my VSTPlugins dir - I notice most plugins write uninstaller to the Program Files dir, and Data under the User Profile (%USERPROFILE%\Documents), or maybe c:\ProgramData, and 'just' the VST DLL in the VSTPlugins dir. Not a biggie, but maybe more 'standard'.
- The fine granularity of the Random knobs resolution means I run out of screen space when I want to move the knobs fully open/closed, especially when the plugin window is positioned by Ableton towards the top of the screen.

But yes! Delighted to see you digging into Plugin Dev again!

Cheers, Eanna

It gets copied to my documents when first run :) I will delete the install folder once I’m confident that the copy always works and so far it’s working well.

I’m currently making the ccID robust so that changing it will set the last selected ID to either zero or the last received which will make things more predictable. I plan to do the same for channel although not clear on the best method yet.

Astralp,

Installed in my typical method without a hitch.

Opened Fluctuation in Bidule.
The Multi-touch works in my Viewsonic TD2340.
23" multi-touch monitor.

To completely turn the knobs requires too much finger motion.
Vertical or horizontal.
Perhaps half the motion would be better.

edit: The distance traveled is the same for finger and mouse pointer.

I wonder would you be better off with a 'spinner' type component for the Channel control? And maybe the Base CC control too? Like the Range and Lowest controls in the Ableton Velocity device:
https://splice-res.cloudinary.com/image ... hot/98.jpg
Indeed, the Channel selector could be a Drop-down, as per the "Operation" control on that same Velocity device.. Should still be automatable.
Maybe move the Base CC controls to the left of the interface too, as it sets the context for the other two controls...
(FWIW, Compression / Drive curves are useful for Midi Velocity processor devices too btw, rather than straight Randomised +/- offsets..)

I had a quick look last night as it looks like the mouse class just automatically covers touch. I have got the mouse distance set to a high distance at the moment mainly because it’s easier to select the channel, but you always get fine control with Carl anyway so I’ll decrease it. I’ll see if I can set up a preference for it. I could use a pop up menu for channel which is logical but it would make it impossible to automate from the GUI. If I can make it robust enough it could be very interesting to automate the channel when feeding a multitimbral instrument. To make it work though I need to make sure the old channels always get a note off.

If you right click a knob you can try setting it to velocity mode, unfortunately the setting won’t be remembered but I’d be interested to know how it performs. I imagine it would be more suitable to touch, I could add a preference for that too.

Thanks for the feedback!

Eanna wrote:I wonder would you be better off with a 'spinner' type component for the Channel control? And maybe the Base CC control too? Like the Range and Lowest controls in the Ableton Velocity device:
https://splice-res.cloudinary.com/image ... hot/98.jpg
Indeed, the Channel selector could be a Drop-down, as per the "Operation" control on that same Velocity device.. Should still be automatable.
Maybe move the Base CC controls to the left of the interface too, as it sets the context for the other two controls...
(FWIW, Compression / Drive curves are useful for Midi Velocity processor devices too btw, rather than straight Randomised +/- offsets..)
Hmmm maybe, you mean have a min max setting and a knob for automating between the range?

It's a min-max thing alright, with a Chance knob that determines the probability of applying a offset in the range. So say at 0% probability, your midi will pass thru unchanged... 100% probability, a random offset is always applied... And 50% probability, an average of half the notes are effected.
What this allows is type of controlled bounded randomisation.

I'm sure the official docs will do alot better job of explaining the operation and interplay between these controls than I would:
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/live- ... reference/

I like the idea!

Version 0.72 is now uploaded:

* Added CC send old CC default messages to last recieved or 0 when ID is changed
* Changing Channel whilst notes playing will send note off messages to old channels
* Changing Channels whilst Notes Playing will reset CCs to old Channels
* Added Knob Sensitivity and Knob Velocity options to File menu
* Added version information
* Various fixes and improvements

It should work when automating ID and Channel now without causing any calamity.

Fluctuate is now updated to v1.0, I think it's ready for release. The Presets are now installed via the installer for both Windows and MAC, and different versions/formats can be selected during in the install process.

For those that on MAC, you should manually delete the old version if you had installed it. The new version uses the user folders for the presets and Plug-ins.

hopefully it all works ok, it does in my tests at this end.

Fluctuate AU 1.0.0 won't open in Logic Pro X 10.2.4, OSX 10.10.5. Here's the LPX Plug-In Manager report:
validating Audio Unit Fluctuate by Homegrown Sounds:
validation result: successfully validated
updating properties of AU Fluctuate by Homegrown Sounds…FAILED!
0.7.2 AU gives the same result. Clean install both times.

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”