Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
bburtin
KVRist

175 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from Mountain View, CA

Postby bburtin; Mon May 28, 2018 8:20 pm Keyboard shortcut stops working when plugin is open

I've noticed that keyboard shortcuts sometimes stop working when I have a plugin open. For example, if I open Metric Halo Channel Strip and wiggle the compression threshold slider, I'm no longer able to use the space bar to start/stop playback. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

I imagine that this is a tricky issue. There are times when you want the plugin to handle the keystroke, and there are times when the DAW should handle it. That said, it would be nice to guarantee that playback will start/stop whenever I press a given key.

Any thoughts on this subject? I've gotten around it by mapping start/stop to F1. Not sure if there's a better solution.
dRowAudio
KVRian

1106 posts since 30 Dec, 2012

Postby dRowAudio; Tue May 29, 2018 5:56 am Re: Keyboard shortcut stops working when plugin is open

Is this on Windows? This kind of thing tends to happen when plugins consume all key events.
What they're supposed to do is only consume keys they're interested in and pass any others on to the window where we can pick them up and use them for start/stop etc.

If it's just this plugin, it might be worth reporting it to their devs? There's not a lot we can do to work around this issue I'm afraid.
bburtin
KVRist

175 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from Mountain View, CA

Postby bburtin; Tue May 29, 2018 6:47 am Re: Keyboard shortcut stops working when plugin is open

Yup, Windows 10. I figured it's likely an issue with the plugin. Thanks for responding!
Trancit
KVRAF

1614 posts since 26 Jul, 2004

Postby Trancit; Tue May 29, 2018 11:36 pm Re: Keyboard shortcut stops working when plugin is open

dRowAudio wrote:Is this on Windows? This kind of thing tends to happen when plugins consume all key events.
What they're supposed to do is only consume keys they're interested in and pass any others on to the window where we can pick them up and use them for start/stop etc.

If it's just this plugin, it might be worth reporting it to their devs? There's not a lot we can do to work around this issue I'm afraid.

The problem is, that this happens with at least 60-70% of the plugins I tested...
Not a big deal for the most keys.... but the spacebar!!!

The most other DAW┬┤s out there have a workaround to at least let through somehow the spacebar (even if the plugin blocks it normaly) to start/stop playback...

Would be nice, if you could find a way to get the spacebar working with such plugins... 8)
zzz00m
KVRian

951 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:09 am Re: Keyboard shortcut stops working when plugin is open

I guess another approach would be to give all keystrokes to the DAW window by default, unless you explicitly give them to a plugin in focus. I have another DAW that puts a keyboard icon on the top bar of the plugin window, next to the pin icon. When you click the keyboard it says "Give all Keystrokes to Plug-in".

I suppose that method would remove the possibility of a rogue plug-in intercepting keystrokes, but also would remove the flexibility of having any keystrokes go to the host when the plug-in was in focus.

Maybe a way to toggle between both modes would be useful, depending on the plug-ins that are in use.
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

Moderator: Tracktion Mods

Return to Tracktion