best flanger in 2018

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
midi_transmission
KVRist
209 posts since 13 Feb, 2013

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:17 pm

I tried the softtube flanger and I'm pretty impressed by the lushness. But as it needs iLok (manager) I'm out, otherwise I would buy it at once.

I tried also d16 Antresol which seems to be pretty high respected. Maybe it's me, but I find it difficult to get a real lush flanger out of it, it sound resonant quickly when I tried it. Maybe it's not the kind of flanger sound I'm looking for.

Any recommendations without iLok for lush flanger sounds?

chk071
KVRAF
17594 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: best flanger in 2018

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:25 pm

midi_transmission wrote:Maybe it's me, but I find it difficult to get a real lush flanger out of it, it sound resonant quickly when I tried it.
Actually, i find it quite hard to get a really good sounding Chorus, or Phaser as well. I upgraded NI Phasis to their Mod Pack in their recent 50% off sale, but, i must admit that i'm a tad disappointed. Just like Phasis, they sound a bit tame. Also a good example of how plugins share the same sound engine. They all have a similar character. I find it really hard to find something which is up to par to the Phaser in Spire, or to TAL-Chorus-LX, which IMO sounds great, but, it has very few options to change the Chorus. Still looking for the Phaser, Chorus, Flanger which rules them all, so to say. The most are not not spot on what i am looking for.

sinkmusic
KVRAF
6161 posts since 28 Apr, 2004 from france

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:28 pm

I like Uhbik Flanger.

Googly Smythe
KVRAF
2190 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Not where I was just now.

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:45 pm

If you want proper "Itchycoo Park" style flanger, then Satin is top-notch, along with Waves Abbey Road double - track thing, I can't remember it's name. :dog:
Otherwise I just use Cubase's built in stuff.
The fx in Waves GTR are pretty good, and can be used without the amps.
Bandcamp
Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions.
William O. Douglas

s28
KVRist
122 posts since 9 Aug, 2017

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:49 pm

The best i've tried are Valhalla spacemodulator, Reelbus 4 and Satin.

Spacemodulator is really fantastic and very cpu light, I recommend checking it out. The other two are very high quality sounding, Reelbus 4 is nicer to use for me.

edit - I forgot to mention Goodhertz wow control, you can get some excellent flanging sounds combining the wet dry with the modulation.
Last edited by s28 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brother Charles
KVRian
972 posts since 3 Jan, 2012 from Alberta, Canada

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:03 pm

The MAGIX Essentials bundle contains my absolute favourite phasing/flanging plug-in. Well, perhaps I should say that it's a rich, lush modulator and very manageable. Unlinke some processors that are either kinda tame, or too "in your face", the Magix offering is really nice. Nice flangers are built into Guillaume's lovely Blue Cat Audio "Axiom" plug-in. I agree with the OP that Softube's FIX Flanger is nice too.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Cinebient
KVRAF
3748 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Still the one in Alchemy (modFX) by a country mile for me.

Aiynzahev
KVRAF
3565 posts since 29 Jun, 2011 from USA

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:27 pm

I think softube's one is probably the best, but Satin is also very good for that. Waves have one that is decent I believe.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Neon Breath
KVRAF
2998 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Sinevibes Eternal and Dipole are both flangers with a very rich and deep sound, very silky. Worth a try.

midi_transmission
KVRist
209 posts since 13 Feb, 2013

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:31 am

Thanks a lit of inspiration. I will check all out. i also like the satin flanger very much but its not as tweakable as i want. Certain sounds are hard to do.

The valhalla flanger sounds great judging from youtube. Unfortunately there is no demo for it.

Sinevibes sounds great but i noticed they are mac only.

Have you guys tried antresol for really rich and lush sounding flanges? A lot of peope are raving about this plugin. But I cant get them out of this thing Maybe my judgement is wrong?

bbtr
Banned
410 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:58 am

midi_transmission wrote:Maybe my judgement is wrong?
Again, they would destroy the criterion by reasoning of this kind. Even the criterion has either been critically determined or not. If it has not, it is definitely untrustworthy, and in its purpose of distinguishing is no more true than false. If it has, it will belong to the class of particular judgements, so that one and the same thing determines and is determined, and the criterion which has determined will have to be determined by another, that other by another, and so on ad infinitum. [95] In addition to this there is disagreement as to the criterion, some holding that man is the criterion, while for some it is the senses, for others reason, for others the apprehensive presentation. Now man disagrees with man and with himself, as is shown by differences of laws and customs. The senses deceive, and reason says different things. Finally, the apprehensive presentation is judged by the mind, and the mind itself changes in various ways. Hence the criterion is unknowable, and consequently truth also.

s28
KVRist
122 posts since 9 Aug, 2017

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:30 am

midi_transmission wrote: The valhalla flanger sounds great judging from youtube. Unfortunately there is no demo for it.
There's no demo but as it's free with any valhalla purchase, it's a really good deal. Depends if you'd like/need any of the others. Vintage verb is my only reverb so $50 for the two, amazing really.

It's a really great sounding plugin, don't dismiss it because there's no demo.

Edit - if you find satin hard to use I don't think you can go wrong with either reelbus4 or spacemodulator.
Spacemodulator has different modes which is really nice and produces a great sound. Reelbus4 is also a great sound but less flexible tone wise, but very cool as you can filter what it reacts to and obviously combine it with the tape and echo sections in the plugin. I've been using it on the master for some tracks and bringing it in on different sections filtering the lows out, really nice effect. They are both very simple to dial in.

I feel totally covered with those.
Last edited by s28 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

dubguy99
KVRist
85 posts since 28 Jun, 2017

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 am

In terms of sound, ValhallaSpacemodulator and D16 Antresol by a mile. Spacemodulator gets a bit more lush than Antresol, which is based on the Mistress pedal which has a bit more of a gritty and metallic sound.

The Eventide instant flanger and the Softube Fix Flanger are also not bad.

dubguy99
KVRist
85 posts since 28 Jun, 2017

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 am

In terms of sound, ValhallaSpacemodulator and D16 Antresol by a mile. Spacemodulator gets a bit more lush than Antresol, which is based on the Mistress pedal which has a bit more of a gritty and metallic sound.

The Eventide instant flanger and the Softube Fix Flanger are also not bad.

suthnear
KVRian
605 posts since 22 Aug, 2002 from on the inside looking out

Post Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:07 am

Audio Damage quatromod has a pretty classic jet flanger. Valhalla ubermod can make decent flanger sounds, too

Return to “Effects”