Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
fantasyvn
KVRist

49 posts since 19 Jul, 2012

Postby fantasyvn; Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:01 pm Chord Track: Differences between Waveform and Studio One 4?

I'm new to Waveform and love its Chord Track feature. This is very inspiring for songwriting.

I read that the new Presonus Studio One 4 also has the Chord Track.

May I ask what are the main differences between the two features?

Thanks,
zzz00m
KVRian

951 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:24 am Re: Chord Track: Differences between Waveform and Studio One 4?

I have Waveform 9 and Studio One 3, and have been following the release of Studio One 4 with interest due to the addition of their chord track.

The main difference, as far as I can tell, is that the chord track in Waveform is designed around the pattern generator. You can have all MIDI clips that use a Waveform pattern generator to follow the Waveform chord track, but not MIDI clips that you create in tracks without the generator. In any case, it's a much needed improvement over the pattern generator in Waveform 8.

The chord track in Studio One 4 is more general, and all MIDI tracks and audio tracks can follow the chord changes. It is designed a lot like the chord track in Cubase, if you may be familiar with that one. But Studio One does not have the MIDI pattern generators like Waveform.

So my take is the chord tracks in Studio One may be useful for arranging a whole song, while trying out different chord progressions, while Waveform may be more useful for creative chord experimentation with pattern based music. So I can see a use for both, as they are different enough to avoid redundancy.
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...
fantasyvn
KVRist

49 posts since 19 Jul, 2012

Postby fantasyvn; Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 am Re: Chord Track: Differences between Waveform and Studio One 4?

Thank you so much for your explanation. It looks like the two features are both exciting.
zzz00m
KVRian

951 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Postby zzz00m; Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 am Re: Chord Track: Differences between Waveform and Studio One 4?

fantasyvn wrote:It looks like the two features are both exciting.

Yes, I was looking for something like this last year when I stumbled across Waveform after trying a demo of Cubase. I really found the MIDI generators in Waveform to be very inspirational, but I also wanted something to make regular MIDI clips follow a chord progression.

I'm glad I waited, as now all I have to do is upgrade to S1 v4, for the best of both! :tu:
Windows 10; with instruments from AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

Moderator: Tracktion Mods

Return to Tracktion