Gratitude

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
37740 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:06 pm

for me "its not the instrument" means, if i lost all this tomorrow, whatever i ended up with afterwards, i would make the best of it.

obviously, given the option ill take what i know feels right in my hands already 8)

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
37740 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:08 pm

or "no, its not the instrument, its the lashings and lashings of gloriously lovely fx :love: "

User avatar
herodotus
KVRAF
5476 posts since 8 Dec, 2004 from The Twin Cities

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:52 pm

vurt wrote:for me "its not the instrument" means, if i lost all this tomorrow, whatever i ended up with afterwards, i would make the best of it.

obviously, given the option ill take what i know feels right in my hands already 8)
That's what it is to me, feeling right.

My present kit is a set of late 60s Slingerland drums that were really well made. As I said, they were completely undamaged by the flood. Not a drop of water got into the kick drum, or between the drum and it's covering. The hoops were new, maple treated with Watco Danish oil, which is a great product.

About 3 years ago I spent a lot of time going over the hardware, replacing lugs here and there with excellent replacement hardware from a local shop. I honestly can't tell which ones I replaced and which were stock. The stands are all new: Yamaha cymbal stands, with Axis hihat and kick pedal.

Anyway, the whole thing just feels and sounds right to me, and losing it would have broken my heart.

User avatar
herodotus
KVRAF
5476 posts since 8 Dec, 2004 from The Twin Cities

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:21 pm

I couldn't help myself

Image

chk071
KVRAF
17230 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible for me to make any music with a "Very old PC running Windows XP". Wouldn't even be able to install most stuff on that, i guess. Good for you though, that you're able to work with that.

User avatar
herodotus
KVRAF
5476 posts since 8 Dec, 2004 from The Twin Cities

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:05 pm

chk071 wrote:Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible for me to make any music with a "Very old PC running Windows XP". Wouldn't even be able to install most stuff on that, i guess. Good for you though, that you're able to work with that.

Most of what I do is straight audio recording and editing. Synths and ROMplers are just used to enrich the sound a bit. They aren't really featured in the music.

Plus, I have always been a cheap bastard, so I have never really bought much cutting edge software. 40+ tracks and a recorder with 24 bit 96Khz capability is all I really need to get my music into the world.

I do miss my other software and computer, mind. I especially miss Adobe Audition, which I used a lot. But apparently I don't actually need it to make music.

User avatar
herodotus
KVRAF
5476 posts since 8 Dec, 2004 from The Twin Cities

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:41 pm

By the way, the cymbals are a 20 inch Paiste Sound Formula Full Ride, an 18 inch Paiste 2002 Crash Ride, a Sabian 14 inch AAX Studio Crash, and Paiste Signature Series Precision Sound Edge Hihat cymbals.

Sorry, but I really do love this kit.

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
15750 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:15 pm

vurt wrote:wise words from the departing,
eat your greens,
especially broccoli.
remember to be thankful,
for all the things,
you never had.
Eat your greens
Don't forget your beans & celery
Don't forget to bring
your fake I.D.

Eat a bunch of these
MAGNIFICENT
With sauerkraut
mmm mmm mm sauerkraut

Eat a grape, a fig, a crumpet too
You'll pump 'em right through
Doo-wee-ooo

Eat your shoes
Don't forget the strings
and sox
Even eat the box
Your bought 'em in

You can eat the truck
that brought 'em in
Garbage truck
mmm mmm mouldy
garbage truck

Eat the truck & driver
and his gloves
NUTRITIOUSNESS
DELICIOUSNESS
WORTHLESSNESS


sorry, it was gettin' too spiritual or sump'n

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
15750 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:17 pm

herodotus wrote:By the way, the cymbals are a 20 inch Paiste Sound Formula Full Ride, an 18 inch Paiste 2002 Crash Ride, a Sabian 14 inch AAX Studio Crash, and Paiste Signature Series Precision Sound Edge Hihat cymbals.
You need a china cym

User avatar
herodotus
KVRAF
5476 posts since 8 Dec, 2004 from The Twin Cities

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:58 pm

jancivil wrote:
herodotus wrote:By the way, the cymbals are a 20 inch Paiste Sound Formula Full Ride, an 18 inch Paiste 2002 Crash Ride, a Sabian 14 inch AAX Studio Crash, and Paiste Signature Series Precision Sound Edge Hihat cymbals.
You need a china cym
I have one. 18 inch Wuhan. I even have a stand. But where to put it?

If I have to reach too far for it, I won't use it. I am old, and ergonomics are a big deal.

Plus, it is too loud for the rest of the kit.

I have tried a Paiste 602 China that was ideal, but it was over 300$ and I just don't have the cash.

The Wuhan sounds great, mind. But it is 2 db louder than the rest of the kit.

Of course, sampling is always an option.

:wink:

User avatar
herodotus
KVRAF
5476 posts since 8 Dec, 2004 from The Twin Cities

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:09 pm

I also have a splash and a 24 inch chau gong. Also a couple of toms and some percussion. But the problem remains, where to put them?

The kit I am using is the evolutionary result of years of experimentation. My old musician friends, enamored of images of huge Alan White and Terry Bozzio kits are always trying to reform my minimalistic proclivities. But the heart wants what it wants.

User avatar
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
4853 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:19 pm

herodotus wrote: My old musician friends, enamored of images of huge Alan White and Terry Bozzio kits are always trying to reform my minimalistic proclivities. But the heart wants what it wants.
I always remember back in the early 90s when I was playing guitar in a band and we were supporting some hair metel act in a rockers club in Oxford (our bass player booked it.... :scared: ). Our drummer was a naturally gifted drummer (a bit in the Keith Moon stylee), completely self-taught, but he'd only ever played on kits like yours with one rack tom and a floor tom. This metel kit had five toms and about 8 cymbals which utterly bamboozled him - some verrrry long fills ensued with us standing around and waiting for him to finish every time, while some increasingly drunken biker types looked on menacingly. Luckily I still had my Boss HM-2 at that point so could mollify them with some chugging randomly inserted into the indie-rokk. :help:

User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
22252 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from a computer

Re: Gratitude

Post Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 pm

That idea with the rice seems good.
This little piggy went to the butchers ...

User avatar
herodotus
KVRAF
5476 posts since 8 Dec, 2004 from The Twin Cities

Re: Gratitude

Post Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:31 am

donkey tugger wrote:
herodotus wrote: My old musician friends, enamored of images of huge Alan White and Terry Bozzio kits are always trying to reform my minimalistic proclivities. But the heart wants what it wants.
I always remember back in the early 90s when I was playing guitar in a band and we were supporting some hair metel act in a rockers club in Oxford (our bass player booked it.... :scared: ). Our drummer was a naturally gifted drummer (a bit in the Keith Moon stylee), completely self-taught, but he'd only ever played on kits like yours with one rack tom and a floor tom. This metel kit had five toms and about 8 cymbals which utterly bamboozled him - some verrrry long fills ensued with us standing around and waiting for him to finish every time, while some increasingly drunken biker types looked on menacingly. Luckily I still had my Boss HM-2 at that point so could mollify them with some chugging randomly inserted into the indie-rokk. :help:
For some reason this story makes me think of the scene in the Blues Brothers where they are playing in the country bar with the chicken wire in front of the stage.

User avatar
Bombadil
KVRAF
1949 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from The Schwarzwald of My Mind

Re: Gratitude

Post Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:23 am

I have a recurring dream: I am back in Montreal, and am in my old apartment. As I walk up the stairs, I notice my door is ajar, and my first thought is, I've been robbed. Then, I had practically nothing, though in my dreams, I have all the equipment I have now. And so, I go in and everything is gone. I usually force myself to wake up at this point, but it always unsettles me.

I've had practically nothing in my life, was homeless for a bit over 2 years, but was lucky enough to have a guitar which often got me fed, occasionally laid, and got me the protection of some of the more predatory and violent people, because they enjoyed what I played.

The whole point of this ramble is that, though it would be a shock to lose all my great things, I know that, in the great scheme of things, they are not as important as good health and having someone to love, and who loves me. Those are the things I am grateful for, though my health isn't so great, lately. If I lost my wife, though, I would be utterly inconsolable.
“Not all who wander are lost.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”