Gratitude

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

for me "its not the instrument" means, if i lost all this tomorrow, whatever i ended up with afterwards, i would make the best of it.

obviously, given the option ill take what i know feels right in my hands already 8)

or "no, its not the instrument, its the lashings and lashings of gloriously lovely fx :love: "

vurt wrote:for me "its not the instrument" means, if i lost all this tomorrow, whatever i ended up with afterwards, i would make the best of it.

obviously, given the option ill take what i know feels right in my hands already 8)
That's what it is to me, feeling right.

My present kit is a set of late 60s Slingerland drums that were really well made. As I said, they were completely undamaged by the flood. Not a drop of water got into the kick drum, or between the drum and it's covering. The hoops were new, maple treated with Watco Danish oil, which is a great product.

About 3 years ago I spent a lot of time going over the hardware, replacing lugs here and there with excellent replacement hardware from a local shop. I honestly can't tell which ones I replaced and which were stock. The stands are all new: Yamaha cymbal stands, with Axis hihat and kick pedal.

Anyway, the whole thing just feels and sounds right to me, and losing it would have broken my heart.

I couldn't help myself

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible for me to make any music with a "Very old PC running Windows XP". Wouldn't even be able to install most stuff on that, i guess. Good for you though, that you're able to work with that.

chk071 wrote:Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible for me to make any music with a "Very old PC running Windows XP". Wouldn't even be able to install most stuff on that, i guess. Good for you though, that you're able to work with that.

Most of what I do is straight audio recording and editing. Synths and ROMplers are just used to enrich the sound a bit. They aren't really featured in the music.

Plus, I have always been a cheap bastard, so I have never really bought much cutting edge software. 40+ tracks and a recorder with 24 bit 96Khz capability is all I really need to get my music into the world.

I do miss my other software and computer, mind. I especially miss Adobe Audition, which I used a lot. But apparently I don't actually need it to make music.

By the way, the cymbals are a 20 inch Paiste Sound Formula Full Ride, an 18 inch Paiste 2002 Crash Ride, a Sabian 14 inch AAX Studio Crash, and Paiste Signature Series Precision Sound Edge Hihat cymbals.

Sorry, but I really do love this kit.

vurt wrote:wise words from the departing,
eat your greens,
especially broccoli.
remember to be thankful,
for all the things,
you never had.
Eat your greens
Don't forget your beans & celery
Don't forget to bring
your fake I.D.

Eat a bunch of these
MAGNIFICENT
With sauerkraut
mmm mmm mm sauerkraut

Eat a grape, a fig, a crumpet too
You'll pump 'em right through
Doo-wee-ooo

Eat your shoes
Don't forget the strings
and sox
Even eat the box
Your bought 'em in

You can eat the truck
that brought 'em in
Garbage truck
mmm mmm mouldy
garbage truck

Eat the truck & driver
and his gloves
NUTRITIOUSNESS
DELICIOUSNESS
WORTHLESSNESS

sorry, it was gettin' too spiritual or sump'n

herodotus wrote:By the way, the cymbals are a 20 inch Paiste Sound Formula Full Ride, an 18 inch Paiste 2002 Crash Ride, a Sabian 14 inch AAX Studio Crash, and Paiste Signature Series Precision Sound Edge Hihat cymbals.
You need a china cym

jancivil wrote:
herodotus wrote:By the way, the cymbals are a 20 inch Paiste Sound Formula Full Ride, an 18 inch Paiste 2002 Crash Ride, a Sabian 14 inch AAX Studio Crash, and Paiste Signature Series Precision Sound Edge Hihat cymbals.
You need a china cym
I have one. 18 inch Wuhan. I even have a stand. But where to put it?

If I have to reach too far for it, I won't use it. I am old, and ergonomics are a big deal.

Plus, it is too loud for the rest of the kit.

I have tried a Paiste 602 China that was ideal, but it was over 300$ and I just don't have the cash.

The Wuhan sounds great, mind. But it is 2 db louder than the rest of the kit.

Of course, sampling is always an option.

:wink:

I also have a splash and a 24 inch chau gong. Also a couple of toms and some percussion. But the problem remains, where to put them?

The kit I am using is the evolutionary result of years of experimentation. My old musician friends, enamored of images of huge Alan White and Terry Bozzio kits are always trying to reform my minimalistic proclivities. But the heart wants what it wants.

herodotus wrote: My old musician friends, enamored of images of huge Alan White and Terry Bozzio kits are always trying to reform my minimalistic proclivities. But the heart wants what it wants.
I always remember back in the early 90s when I was playing guitar in a band and we were supporting some hair metel act in a rockers club in Oxford (our bass player booked it.... :scared: ). Our drummer was a naturally gifted drummer (a bit in the Keith Moon stylee), completely self-taught, but he'd only ever played on kits like yours with one rack tom and a floor tom. This metel kit had five toms and about 8 cymbals which utterly bamboozled him - some verrrry long fills ensued with us standing around and waiting for him to finish every time, while some increasingly drunken biker types looked on menacingly. Luckily I still had my Boss HM-2 at that point so could mollify them with some chugging randomly inserted into the indie-rokk. :help:

That idea with the rice seems good.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

donkey tugger wrote:
herodotus wrote: My old musician friends, enamored of images of huge Alan White and Terry Bozzio kits are always trying to reform my minimalistic proclivities. But the heart wants what it wants.
I always remember back in the early 90s when I was playing guitar in a band and we were supporting some hair metel act in a rockers club in Oxford (our bass player booked it.... :scared: ). Our drummer was a naturally gifted drummer (a bit in the Keith Moon stylee), completely self-taught, but he'd only ever played on kits like yours with one rack tom and a floor tom. This metel kit had five toms and about 8 cymbals which utterly bamboozled him - some verrrry long fills ensued with us standing around and waiting for him to finish every time, while some increasingly drunken biker types looked on menacingly. Luckily I still had my Boss HM-2 at that point so could mollify them with some chugging randomly inserted into the indie-rokk. :help:
For some reason this story makes me think of the scene in the Blues Brothers where they are playing in the country bar with the chicken wire in front of the stage.

I have a recurring dream: I am back in Montreal, and am in my old apartment. As I walk up the stairs, I notice my door is ajar, and my first thought is, I've been robbed. Then, I had practically nothing, though in my dreams, I have all the equipment I have now. And so, I go in and everything is gone. I usually force myself to wake up at this point, but it always unsettles me.

I've had practically nothing in my life, was homeless for a bit over 2 years, but was lucky enough to have a guitar which often got me fed, occasionally laid, and got me the protection of some of the more predatory and violent people, because they enjoyed what I played.

The whole point of this ramble is that, though it would be a shock to lose all my great things, I know that, in the great scheme of things, they are not as important as good health and having someone to love, and who loves me. Those are the things I am grateful for, though my health isn't so great, lately. If I lost my wife, though, I would be utterly inconsolable.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”