LVC-Audio Limited-Z version 2 released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It is finally here: Limited-Z version 2.0.0 has been released. The normal price is $39.95, but an introductory price is set at $19.95. For existing users of Limited-Z, the upgrade is free and your current registration information does not need updated. In addition, all plugins and T-Chain modules are on sale. The introductory price and sale runs now until the end of June.

Limited-Z Version 2 represents a complete reworking of the Limited-Z’s graphics, as well as significant enhancements to the DSP processing. Both the free and paid versions include true peak output monitoring and a specialized ISP filter. The paid version update includes more oversampling options and new EBU waveform/VU monitoring. The complete changelog is below.

Changelog:
  • Major GUI improvements (large interface, resizable, smoother drawing of vector graphics)
  • Spectrum Analyzer view
  • Increased waveform history view to 2 minutes of audio
  • All waveform and spectrum colors are changeable
  • Plugin default settings (including colors) can be set by the user
  • EBU meter mode with momentary and short-term loudness
  • Improved oversampling (2x - 16x), linear or minimal phase, and hq/lq settings
  • Improved ISP filtering and indicators
  • True peak output monitoring
  • Two new limiter modes
  • Improved registration process
  • General improvements, enhancements, and bug extermination

Great price on this new version. It sounds great and it catches ISP's like nothing else I've used.

Two observations:

1. The UI is a bit fuzzy, especially the text, and it also feels a bit cramped. Contrast it with the new Toneboosters UIs - they are super-crisp and very well laid out.

2. The sound is superb, definitely one of the best (if not the best) I've tried. The mode feature works incredibly well.

The UI is not too much of an issue - it works fine but could do with some refinement. But the sound is where the magic is, and this is just great.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

I appreciate the compliments about the sound. I also appreciate the criticism about the UI. This will be the basis of new plugin interfaces (e.g., the next generation of ClipShifter, Limited-MAX, etc.), so I want to get it right. Is it all of the text, or just certain buttons/areas?

random_id wrote:Is it all of the text, or just certain buttons/areas?
As much as I hate comparisons, in the interests of improving your UI, which is my sole intention, look at this two screen caps, which have been enlarged by about 300% or so:

This is Limited-Z

And this is Toneboosters Barricade

What I'm seeing here is that there is considerable more anti-aliasing in the Limited-Z UI meaning the text is softer and less defined. Look at the capital L of "Limiter" and "LIMIT" - the former is sharper, the second is softer and blurrier. Also, look at the "ISP" on Limited-Z, how soft and undefined the letters are. I had to increase the Barricade UI to match the size of the smallest Limited-Z UI, so if anything, Barricade should suffer, but it doesn't.

Now, this may be down to the choice of font being used. Looks like Barricade uses Arial which always renders really nicely. I'm not sure Limiter-Z is using, but it looks like it doesn't render as sharply as Arial.

Now look at this image of a couple of knobs from Barricade:
Again, this image has been enlarged by 300% and yet the graphics are still sharp, whereas the knob in Limiter-Z has way too much anti-aliasing and thus looks fuzzy.

Matt, honestly, I'm saying this to be constructive and positive. I love the sound of Limited-Z, you have done a fantastic job on this plugin. I just want to offer up my honest opinion of how you can tighten up the UI as well and make this an all-round excellent plugin, as well as your other plugins going forward.

For me - most text seems out of focus. BUT - the mode NAME - in orange - always appears sharp to me - whatever size the interface.

I wonder if your scaling algorithm is allowing non-integer coordinates for most of the UI text - I found in scripting that fonts often display blurry if the coordinates are not integer values. (Guessing). Hope you find the reason...

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Works in Cubase. With oversampling, I dont recall which mode, I really liked how it preserved the bass. It did a better job with this than some of my limiters. Nice sound and worked well on certain genres.
The free version doesn't have over sampling and I didn't care for the sound without that feature. Perhaps due to manual clipping causing aliasing, I didn't measure it though.

It seems to use a lot of cpu, but as a final limiter I would be ok with that considering it's doing a lot under the hood to get that controlled bass and massage all of the transients just right.

Couldn't get the same kind of level as I could with a multiband limiter but I don't always need, or want, that kind of control. The sale price makes it attractive since this version has better features and sounds better.

Makes we wonder how this compares to their Max version.

I agree with the compliments on sound quality :phones:
Regarding the cramped layout, compared with Transector and Clip Shifter, Limited-Z has all upper case, a lot of orange text, and less space around and between text. Perhaps get GUI advice from your other plugins :D
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Just to add to my post, I tried it again. Minimal HQ with just 2x oversampling sounds much better than no over sampling. This should encourage people to purchase the full version if they like the workflow.

Also, I use Adobe Audition in my university class. Many VST plugins don't update their gui correctly, especially vu meters and gain reduction meters on compressors. LVC Limited-Z works well in Adobe Audition and sounds a 1000x better than the built in limiters. For people mastering in Audition this would be a great addition.

It does a great job at keeping the balance and has a pleasing, 'finishing' type sound that it applies, at least on the Clean setting i tried.

A lot of students use FL Studio but I saw a mention of an issue with that?

I'd like to be able to set the UI size and have it stick. I don't have a 4k monitor,
to me the UI is huge. Also whenever I set the defaults, every time I load a preset,
it asks me if I want to save the defaults, is this intended, because its really weird
if so.

Great job though, I bought it even though I have the limiter thing covered up, down and sideways.

-Cheers

I have confirmed the issue with FL Studio, and am working to fix it. The problem is that an infinite loop is created when the plugin calls the Windows API. I will get a fix uploaded next week. Pekbro, I will look into this, too. Can you tell me what OS, OS version, DAW, and plugin format (AU, VST, etc.) you are using?

I have some ideas about the GUI, but I am not sure they will satisfy everyone. The problem with the "fuzzy text" can be fixed. I will also add the feature to set/save the defualt GUI size. As for the layout, colors, etc., I think this becomes an issue of retro vs modern vs minimal vs 3d vs etc. I don't know how to balance all of that.

@random_id

Sure, win 8.1 64, as for DAWs, Reason 10, Bitwig, Tracktion 9, Studio One 3 so far anyway. That is all I have tried, will try more after work.

Thanks

random_id wrote:I have some ideas about the GUI, but I am not sure they will satisfy everyone. The problem with the "fuzzy text" can be fixed. I will also add the feature to set/save the defualt GUI size. As for the layout, colors, etc., I think this becomes an issue of retro vs modern vs minimal vs 3d vs etc. I don't know how to balance all of that.
For me, in my opinion, fixing the fuzzy text would nail the UI. Other than that, I really like the UI.

New build has been uploaded to the website. Although the UI is still unchanged, the follow issues were fixed/improved:
- stopped crashing in FL Studio with saving/resetting default configuration
- fixed bug that could potentially prompt users at startup to save/reset default configuration
- scale the waveform display release rate to be more accurate with shorter times (i.e., not look so choppy when 1 sec or less)

Return to “Effects”