Windows dead. Reinstall imminent. What happens to my plugin licenses (iLok)?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My music production laptop is stuck in the "Automatic Repair Loop" problem and won't boot into Windows. I've trawled tech support sites and tried all suggestions (run in Safe Mode, roll back to a previous version, use chkdsk command and so on) and nothing has worked, so I'm now looking at the last resort: reinstalling Windows.

I was able to use the Command Prompt+Notepad trick to get my music files off D drive and onto an external harddrive - that was my biggest concern, so now atleast my working files are all safe. I've also retrieved all my license serial numbers/invoices etc.

So anyway... if I do reinstall windows (from an ISO on a bootable USB), how will that affect my existing licenses like soft-iLok stuff, izotope, Native Instruments etc that are currently installed on C Drive?

I am worried that those licenses are tied directly to the (now dead) Windows system and I will run into all kinds of conflicts upon reinstall, like it will say that those licenses are already installed and active on another computer and I'd have to de-activate them there etc - which is impossible since I can't get into that Windows to de-activate anything.

I know there are kind of 2 options for reinstalling Windows, a full reset one and a refresh ("Keep My Files") one. I'm inclined to try the refresh first.

Has anyone been through this before? Anything I should be weary of?

If the reinstall doesn't work and I have to get a new computer... well then I'll have to be contacting dozens and dozens of plugin developers to try to get my licenses working again on the new computer. Will cross that bridge if I get to it.

For soft iLok you install the iLok software after you installed windows. Once windows is installed you log into your iLok account thru the iLok manager, and there you should see all your licenses. You need to re-autorize them again unless your computer have exactly the same name as before. In soft ilok you would see your computers name. When you have major windows updates or making a new install, windows often change the name of the computer (which is incredibly stupid). That's why in the soft iLok manager you may need to remove the old computer name. By doing so you should will free up the licenses and you will be able to autorize your newly named computer for each license.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Awesome - I'm hoping Waves Central will be similar, just move licenses to the cloud and back as needed.

What about for example PSP plugins.. the older versions that have license activation/de-activation files which write code to the Registry. The registry might get wiped in the Windows reinstall and according to PSP those plugins will already be activated/active.

Phew, every developer has a different method... I'm hoping for the best :P

Thank you!

ATN69 wrote:When you have major windows updates or making a new install, windows often change the name of the computer (which is incredibly stupid).
Really? Never noticed that. :o Got Windows 10 on 3 machines here, and it never changed the computer name.

chk071 wrote:
ATN69 wrote:When you have major windows updates or making a new install, windows often change the name of the computer (which is incredibly stupid).
Really? Never noticed that. :o Got Windows 10 on 3 machines here, and it never changed the computer name.
Last major update I had on my Windows 10 computer the name was changed, and it happened several times before on my other computers. That’s actually how I got so familiar on how to handle iLok licenses. Microsoft forced me to learn :D

Besides for iLok the computer name change is also a problem for my XLN stuff. I have addictive key bundle and addictive drums.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Did you try to repair your boot sector?

Boot from the original installation DVD (or the recovery USB)
At the Welcome screen, click Repair your computer.
Choose Troubleshoot.
Choose Command Prompt.
When the Command Prompt loads, type the following commands:

bootrec /FixMbr bootrec /FixBoot bootrec /ScanOs bootrec /RebuildBcd.

*I never did this on a windows 10 machine myself, but in the past it
has recovered many a seemingly screwed windows installation.

ATN69 wrote: That's why in the soft iLok manager you may need to remove the old computer name. By doing so you should will free up the licenses and you will be able to autorize your newly named computer for each license.
How do you do that? The manager will not allow my to remove the old computer name or deactivate the license assigned to it. It tells you to "please contact the appropriate publishers for a machine activation reset" :(

pekbro wrote:Did you try to repair your boot sector?

Boot from the original installation DVD (or the recovery USB)
At the Welcome screen, click Repair your computer.
Choose Troubleshoot.
Choose Command Prompt.
When the Command Prompt loads, type the following commands:

bootrec /FixMbr bootrec /FixBoot bootrec /ScanOs bootrec /RebuildBcd.

*I never did this on a windows 10 machine myself, but in the past it
has recovered many a seemingly screwed windows installation.
This. It's well worth a try to repair your system through booting from the Installation DVD and choosing the repair option there. Saved me once or twice :)

And as a last resort there is also the free Ultima Boot CD with some nice little tools to try.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

SHall1000 wrote:
ATN69 wrote: That's why in the soft iLok manager you may need to remove the old computer name. By doing so you should will free up the licenses and you will be able to autorize your newly named computer for each license.
How do you do that? The manager will not allow my to remove the old computer name or deactivate the license assigned to it. It tells you to "please contact the appropriate publishers for a machine activation reset" :(
If you can't deactivate the respective licenses assigned to that computer I would suggest there is something wrong with your iLok manager. If an update of the iLok manager doesn't solve your problem then you should contact iLok support.

Here are some useful links,

https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ilok-com/iLokL ... anual.pdf
Check out page 3 about updating your iLok and also 11 in the Manager manual about handling licenses.

I have js6t been through this wen my ilok locked me out by inventing a new computer name!, the computer cant be removed, you have to request new licences from every vendor (this was done by iLok), most are pretty good (I got licences back from Soundtoys, UVI etc) but some didn't (AKAI)

Its a crap process for 2018, you cant just simply log in to the 'cloud' and remove licences from dead computers.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I always used 2 computers. When I bought my latest computer I removed all installations, licenses, etc, from the computer I would not use anymore. I simply deregistered all licenses in iLok and registered them in my new computer. After that the old computer doesn't show up in my iLok manager any more because there are no licenses attached to that old computer anymore. I still use 2 computers and I only have 2 computers in my iLok manager. I never had to request any new licenses from any vendor.

ATN69 wrote:I always used 2 computers. When I bought my latest computer I removed all installations, licenses, etc, from the computer I would not use anymore. I simply deregistered all licenses in iLok and registered them in my new computer. After that the old computer doesn't show up in my iLok manager any more because there are no licenses attached to that old computer anymore. I still use 2 computers and I only have 2 computers in my iLok manager. I never had to request any new licenses from any vendor.
Yes but if your can not access the computer (lost/stolen/broken hard drive etc) you cant delete the licences.

In my case ilok didn't recognise the computer out after a windows update so I had no access to my own licences and could not use them or delete them.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

IMO on-disk iLok isn't fit for purpose frankly. Hard drives break, Windows dies, hell even significant Windows updates can be seen as a new computer. None of these things are accounted for in its design.

I have to keep up with Microsoft's update plans so I'm ready the instant a big update comes out. Every time Windows gets a significant 'service pack' type update I'm frantically deactivating all my iLok licenses and manually installing it so I don't get caught short by an automatic update. It's not as if PACE doesn't have access to these updates well in advance, so they know they're going to break on-disk authorisations. They just don't seem to care. See: viewtopic.php?p=7080389

SLiC wrote:
ATN69 wrote:I always used 2 computers. When I bought my latest computer I removed all installations, licenses, etc, from the computer I would not use anymore. I simply deregistered all licenses in iLok and registered them in my new computer. After that the old computer doesn't show up in my iLok manager any more because there are no licenses attached to that old computer anymore. I still use 2 computers and I only have 2 computers in my iLok manager. I never had to request any new licenses from any vendor.
Yes but if your can not access the computer (lost/stolen/broken hard drive etc) you cant delete the licences.

In my case ilok didn't recognise the computer out after a windows update so I had no access to my own licences and could not use them or delete them.
In order to use soft iLok you must create an account. That account is located in the iLok server. All licenses are stored there. If they steal the computer or it breaks you should still be able to access your licenses thru your account at iLok. All you need is to install a new iLok manager.

Now I sound like I am a big fan of iLok, but trust me I am not :D ..I had my fair share of bull sh*t because of iLok. Biggest problem of all is every time you need support from them. They are incredible slow to respond and they treat you like you are an imbecile.

2 times when I got major windows updates certain settings were changed back to default. That mean fast boot was turned back on even though I set it to off, power management was changed back to default, under services I had to set back PACE to automatic start, and some other stuff. I don't know how many times I had to manually start PACE after I boot up my computer before I figured out how to set everything up correctly.

SLiC wrote:Yes but if your can not access the computer (lost/stolen/broken hard drive etc) you cant delete the licences.
That's the issue I had, hard drive crash meant I couldn't deactivate the licenses so had to go back to vendors for new ones. Some responded, some didn't...

Wondering if this is the scenario the OP faces if he can't get back into Windows to deactivate them.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”