The Cowboy Dance

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
tasemeagain
KVRer
5 posts since 24 Dec, 2017

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:58 am

Newbie producer here. Been working on this track for 3 days. Review?

https://soundcloud.com/humbled-man/the-cowboy-dance

wagtunes
KVRAF
13400 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Cowboy Dance

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:05 am

My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 7.5
Performance - 7.5
Mix - 6

Overall - 7.25

Comments: I wish I sounded this good when I first started. Not bad. Something about the mix seems a bit off. Can't put my finger on it. Possibly a combination of EQ and compression needed. Levels just seem off a bit. But not too bad. I'm hearing excessive pumping but that could just be my phones. Some of the instruments are way too dry. The bass sounds like it has absolutely no processing whatsoever. Just seems kind of buried in the mix. Some of the plucks are way too dull. Need some transient or something. Musically, it's not bad. Better than anything I wrote 40 years ago, that's for sure. All in all, considering you're new at this, a decent effort.

sleepcircle
KVRist
273 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:06 pm

about what wagtunes said about the bass being "buried in the mix"
for a lot of songs with a big electro bass, you can use EQs or a high-pass filter to cut off the first hundred Hz of most of the other instrument tracks. you don't want anything interfering with the bass and with a constant bass you normally won't notice when the bottom end of the other instruments goes missing.

now, you will need to leave the lower frequencies in the kick drum, but see if you can use EQ to boost where the kick drum is the loudest, and cut a little slice out of the bass at the same frequency, so that there's a hole in the bass instrument for the kick drum to punch through.

I don't know how much of what I said makes sense--if you need any explanation I'm sure someone here (me included) will be happy to tell you, or at least to direct you to a good article on the subject.

tasemeagain
KVRer
5 posts since 24 Dec, 2017

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:56 am

sleepcircle wrote:about what wagtunes said about the bass being "buried in the mix"
for a lot of songs with a big electro bass, you can use EQs or a high-pass filter to cut off the first hundred Hz of most of the other instrument tracks. you don't want anything interfering with the bass and with a constant bass you normally won't notice when the bottom end of the other instruments goes missing.

now, you will need to leave the lower frequencies in the kick drum, but see if you can use EQ to boost where the kick drum is the loudest, and cut a little slice out of the bass at the same frequency, so that there's a hole in the bass instrument for the kick drum to punch through.

I don't know how much of what I said makes sense--if you need any explanation I'm sure someone here (me included) will be happy to tell you, or at least to direct you to a good article on the subject.
I think I get it but I'd still like to read up on any article or video you could direct me to. Thx a ton

sleepcircle
KVRist
273 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:05 am

https://www.attackmagazine.com/techniqu ... to-eq-mix/

this is an interesting tutorial in that it doesn't explain anything in too much detail but it shows you the difference, track by track. maybe this'll help you grok the concept

Return to “Music Cafe”