Maschine questions - considering buy

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Aries85
KVRer
11 posts since 1 Aug, 2012

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:55 am

Hello,
I am considering buying pad controller, originaly I thought about used Akai MPD32, but there are used Maschine mk2s about this price. It looks very promising, as there is some software and soundware bundled.

However, I have not been able to findou out following things about Maschine:
- Is it possible to use it purely as MIDI controller without computer without limitations? Just for ocassional connecting directly to keyboard. I have read about MCU compatible mode, so this should probably work.
- When in MIDI mode, does it have 16 levels function on one key as MPD has?
- If someone has both MPD and Maschine, how do you find maschine's pads compared to MPD?

Many thanks for answers.

Aries85
KVRer

Re: Maschine questions - considering buy

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:44 am

Additionally, is it possible to transpose MIDI clips in Machine by pressing a key? E.g. C3 as base, when pressing F3, all notes clip would be transposed by 5 semitones up.

Steve Bolivar
KVRist
403 posts since 25 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:47 am

One question too be sure to look into is if the license is transferable. A friend of mine who works at a pawn shop/music store took one in but they never had the original owner release/transfer the licence. Without the original licence holder to transfer it they had to sell it for parts/generic controller for less than they paid.

Aries85
KVRer

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:26 pm

That is very good point for considering and checking. Thank you, Steve.

Radiophobic Workshop
KVRist
31 posts since 9 Sep, 2012 from Vancouver BC

Post Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:36 pm

I can't speak to how it compares to the MPD, but I have used a maschine mk1, maschine studio, mcp 1000 and mpc 2000.

I like the maschine pads more than the MPC's. I couldn't really tell the difference between the two maschines, so I can assume all maschines have a pretty consistent feel between them. The MPC's both had very different feels, and the pads had a tendancy to wear out after a lot of use (pad one on my MPC1000 was all but dead before I sold it). Having said that, both the MPCs felt more natural when you hit them with a lot of force.

You can use the maschine as just a generic controller, but I wouldn't want to use it as such. It's almost too much machine for only midi controller duties, and the integration with the maschine software is very tight. Steep learning curve, mind.

I don't know if you can map a pad to multiple functions. You may be able to, but I wouldn't bank on it. There may be some trickery that you can do with velocity layers. Also, you should be able to find something that will allow you to map the midi functions in more sophisticated ways than what the NI editor provides you.

foosnark
KVRAF
4449 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:30 am

Radiophobic Workshop wrote:Steep learning curve, mind.
Hmmm... when I first got Maschine I ran through the tutorial that came with it, which took a couple of hours. That taught me about 80% of what I needed to know, and it never felt difficult at all. I very rarely had to look up things in the manual / help files / online after that.

Granted, that was coming from years of using FL Studio, which is also based on short "patterns" but its interface was kind of an unholy mess that grew in 27 different directions over the years. Maschine is pretty consistent by comparison.

Also that was right around when 2.0 was new and more features and stuff have been gradually added, so there was a little less to learn then than now.

Radiophobic Workshop
KVRist
31 posts since 9 Sep, 2012 from Vancouver BC

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:11 am

foosnark wrote:
Radiophobic Workshop wrote:Steep learning curve, mind.
Hmmm... when I first got Maschine I ran through the tutorial that came with it, which took a couple of hours. That taught me about 80% of what I needed to know, and it never felt difficult at all. I very rarely had to look up things in the manual / help files / online after that.
I think it was the switching from Maschine Mk1 to Maschine Studio. A lot of the same functions were put in very different places; I still find myself having to google search for a lot of the things that became second nature with the Mk1.

foosnark
KVRAF
4449 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:43 am

Radiophobic Workshop wrote:I think it was the switching from Maschine Mk1 to Maschine Studio. A lot of the same functions were put in very different places; I still find myself having to google search for a lot of the things that became second nature with the Mk1.
That makes sense.

UltimateOutsider
KVRian
753 posts since 5 Oct, 2009 from Portland, OR

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:13 am

As to your question about whether you can use Maschine as a standalone MIDI pad controller, yes you can. You don't even need a license for this; the Controller Editor software you use to configure the device is a free download.

As someone mentioned, if you do intend to buy used, you MUST make sure the original owner goes through NI's license transfer process if you intend to ever use the Maschine software, because there is no other way to purchase the license without the hardware.
Aries85 wrote:Additionally, is it possible to transpose MIDI clips in Machine by pressing a key? E.g. C3 as base, when pressing F3, all notes clip would be transposed by 5 semitones up.
Well, you can transpose MIDI and samples by both octaves and semitones from the controller when using Maschine software. Your original post was about using Maschine as a pure MIDI controller, and I don't think transposing would work in that case, because in order to even have a MIDI clip in Maschine you would have to be using the software. Without the software it is just a pure MIDI controller that doesn't host MIDI or samples.

Aries85
KVRer

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:40 pm

A lot of useful information here, thank you all.

My questions at the beginning might seem chaotic, apologies for that.
I am considering two scenarios:
- using it as pure midi controller, which is possible even without software license (thanks UltimateOutsider). In this mode, does it allow 16 velocity mode as MPD has? (last played note pitch is spread across all pads, each pad is assigned fixed velocity and has same pitch)
- using it with Maschine software - I haven't used it yet, in this case I would be very interested in transposing MIDI clips by pressing a key / pad.

UltimateOutsider, when using it with Maschine software, is MIDI clip transposing possible by pressing a pad?
Scenario I am thinking of is using maschine with keyboard workstation. First, I would like to record midi clips from the workstation. Then I would play them and transpose them by pressing a key to try out some different chords. I understand that this might not be same as playing different chord on workstation, where arpeggiator might generate something different. This is just for case, where there is recorded idea and some more variations would be desirable.

EDIT: typos

bungle
KVRAF
1574 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:25 pm

I think some people need to learn to read, you asked if it can be used as a standalone controller without a computer, and people said yes you can yaaaaaaaaay, people were full of ****
Maschine will do nothing at all without a computer connected, that is a fact ;)
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”