Expanders!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tearing, right. It's attenuated "to" 1/3 of the original amplitude and not "by" 1/3. I'll make the correction.

My answer, based on the aforementioned concepts, is normal compression of 5:1 based off the inherent double negation.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

By the way, I know we all know how to use compressors and understand what the result is without the math involved. I wrote that for noobs, because there was time that I would read a conversation because I was interested in the topic but wasn't familiar with.the concepts. Like you guys, I remember a time not having any idea about compressors.

On the topic, it was stated by someone that compressors make the louder parts quieter and the softer parts louder. From what I've studied, the loudest parts were attenuated by a circuit causing the overall amplitude to be a little more level. Then an amplifier was integrated to restore the audio to the perceived loudness.

Was there ever a hardware compressor that both compressed and expanded simultaneously?

Mathematics wrote:By the way, I know we all know how to use compressors and understand what the result is without the math involved. I wrote that for noobs, because there was time that I would read a conversation because I was interested in the topic but wasn't familiar with.the concepts. Like you guys, I remember a time not having any idea about compressors.
Awesome!
On the topic, it was stated by someone that compressors make the louder parts quieter and the softer parts louder. From what I've studied, the loudest parts were attenuated by a circuit causing the overall amplitude to be a little more level. Then an amplifier was integrated to restore the audio to the perceived loudness.
And upward compression amplifies quiet signals so that they're close in volume to the louder signals. Practically, it should be immediately clear that this will tend to have less of a coloring effect as it's working on the quieter signals.

Was there ever a hardware compressor that both compressed and expanded simultaneously?

I'm sure that this is not what you mean, but, a "compander" is a circuit used for noise reduction that uses both a compressor and an expander.

https://electricdruid.net/noise-reducti ... ompanders/

I can perhaps see some advantage to downward compression and expansion happening at the same time. You preserve the dynamic range but color the peaks. I seem to recall this same conversation happening elsewhere, but I don't feel like looking for it right now.

Thanks for that.

Update: Looking back, I overlooked that MaxxVolume the C1 Comp/Exp were companders. By the way, now in 2020, the Waves Abbey Road Saturator has this module and it sounds awesome. For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRP5uI9mbzQ

Return to “Effects”