Liquid Dream (synth pop/rock) re-uploaded and revised

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
an-electric-heart
KVRAF
1551 posts since 13 Jun, 2008 from Napier,New Zealand

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:32 am

I shared this song before, so here's a new version. At the time I thought it was done, but everyone said the vocals needed to be clearer... and everyone can't be wrong!

*Various changes to make the music slightly less bright; guitars and synths carved out around 1-2kHz to make room for the vocals, more low end added to the kick and snare. There's a tambourine that's not terribly important and it was making large spikes around 10kHz so eq'd that out a bit.

*Reverb turned down on the vocals and then vocals turned up quite a bit to compensate.

*Guitar solo section sounded a bit cluttered, there were some quiet vocals in there, so I just removed them, seems to have tidied that section up a bit.

Cheers! :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/anelectricheartm ... quid-dream

Frantz
KVRAF
4820 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Re: Liquid Dream (synth pop/rock) re-uploaded and revised

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:45 pm

The new mix is much better. I think I can make out the lyrics in the chorus now about repeated drinking blackouts. :drunk: Quite catchy given the subject matter. :)

Great song too!

an-electric-heart
KVRAF

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:32 pm

Frantz wrote:The new mix is much better. I think I can make out the lyrics in the chorus now about repeated drinking blackouts. :drunk: Quite catchy given the subject matter. :)

Great song too!
Cheers. I do think it's better now.

The chorus is;

"Eat, sleep, drink, dance, black-out, repeat. You manufacture self-esteem in a liquid dream"

I don't think they're great lyrics, but it's meant to be some sort of "anti using alcohol to drown out problems/gain courage" statement. I'm straight edge, and don't touch alcohol, so therefore think no one should have to :hihi:

fastlanephil
KVRian
620 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 pm

You know the song’s actually pretty catchy if not super original sounding except for the lyrics. He, he.

Well, maybe it could be the theme song for A.A. But there's not much chance of the rather stark subject matter gaining much interest from the music listening public.

There is or was room for an occasional heart break, get drunk country song but that’s about it.

The Kinks had a great song about that addiction called Alcohol but it wasn’t to be taken too seriously and it had a happy ending. There was great animated short made for it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh4h1Cx2E0M

an-electric-heart
KVRAF

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:48 pm

fastlanephil wrote:You know the song’s actually pretty catchy if not super original sounding except for the lyrics. He, he.

Well, maybe it could be the theme song for A.A. But there's not much chance of the rather stark subject matter gaining much interest from the music listening public.

There is or was room for an occasional heart break, get drunk country song but that’s about it.

The Kinks had a great song about that addiction called Alcohol but it wasn’t to be taken too seriously and it had a happy ending. There was great animated short made for it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh4h1Cx2E0M
Cheers! I really do think that just because the music is played on synths and is 'dancy' that the lyrics can't have a serious subject matter. And in my own way I think it's a positive message it's saying "alcohol isn't a substitute for confidence (or whatever), get to the heart of your problems rather than masking them", and I also think that there's a kind of self-aware tongue in cheek irony poking fun at clubbing in an electronic song... anyway, I'm coming off a little pretentious :hihi: ... I'm the first to admit that the lyrics aren't great, they're just the words that came when the music needed some. And, I was actually playing in punk bands when I started 20 years, so I still hear that, it's just that these days I play solo so I switch out the band for drum machines and loops, my older stuff as An Electric Heart is a bit more 'aggressive', but music-wise I'm getting more simple. Here's one of my older ones (live in my living room!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQcZDhjChjc

Return to “Music Cafe”