You happy with Studio One 4

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are you guys happy with Studio One 4? I really like so far. You feel Presonus over saturate themselves and need to slim down their product line? I think so far they been putting good hardware out. Quantum, Studio Live III etc.

beatmangler443 wrote:Are you guys happy with Studio One 4? I really like so far. You feel Presonus over saturate themselves and need to slim down their product line? I think so far they been putting good hardware out. Quantum, Studio Live III etc.
So far I'm very happy with Studio One Pro 4 :tu:

I'm using the FaderPort 8, but not their Audio Interface, I'm using a RME UFX+ connected to my PC via USB 3. I'm on PC/Windows 8.1 Pro.

It has not crashed once, I updated to the latest version 4.0.1 and all is still very stable, and snappy :)

I Love this DAW and look forward to more features, and improvements :love:

I was super excited hearing a new version was coming out, then watched the announcement video and was disappointed. That said, I really wanted a Drum Editor and could use a Pattern Editor so I ran the demo and ultimately thought:

1. Overall, felt like a pretty small update compared to version 2.6 to 3.

2. ARA2: a feature I can't do anything with yet...

3. Pattern Editor: no Transpose function, no ties, etc. Needs more time in the oven.

4. Drum editor: it's upside down with no ability to flip the order...needs a bit more work.

5. Note velocity colors: who thought having a 5 color gradient would be a good idea? Needs more work.

6. Chord track: identifies the wrong chords when a bit more complex than a standard triad, doesn't seem to recommend chords or adhere to key signature....needs more work. Kind of cool that it can change chords on pre-recorded audio/MIDI, but how often would I realistically do that? Gimmicky, but has potential I guess.

7. No updates to tempo drawing, no MPE, no MIDI Smart tool, no further work to actually integrate Notion (as in "inside of Studio One" instead of "alongside")

I'm sure by 4.5 or so they'll get me on board, but I'm not seeing the value in upgrading just yet.

beatmangler443 wrote:Are you guys happy with Studio One 4?
Yep, quite happy with it. As a result of a compulsion, i installed Cubase Artis 9 2 weeks ago or so, and, once again, ended up with the assessment that i don't need at least 50% of it, and that it installs so much stuff, that i always end up with 20 programs i need to uninstall, when i uninstall it. Studio One is streamlined, which i like very much. And, it also does many things better (like, not forcing to use so many windows, or a much easier MIDI learn system, or, the unnecessity to manage your plugins, because they're managed so well out of the box), so, i'll stick with it.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I was super excited hearing a new version was coming out, then watched the announcement video and was disappointed. That said, I really wanted a Drum Editor and could use a Pattern Editor so I ran the demo and ultimately thought:

3. Pattern Editor: no Transpose function, no ties, etc. Needs more time in the oven.

4. Drum editor: it's upside down with no ability to flip the order...needs a bit more work.

5. Note velocity colors: who thought having a 5 color gradient would be a good idea? Needs more work.

6. Chord track: identifies the wrong chords when a bit more complex than a standard triad, doesn't seem to recommend chords or adhere to key signature....needs more work. Kind of cool that it can change chords on pre-recorded audio/MIDI, but how often would I realistically do that? Gimmicky, but has potential I guess.

7. No updates to tempo drawing, no MPE, no MIDI Smart tool, no further work to actually integrate Notion (as in "inside of Studio One" instead of "alongside")

I'm sure by 4.5 or so they'll get me on board, but I'm not seeing the value in upgrading just yet.
Spot on. The Drum Editor and Pattern Editor are both far from being ready to be released IMO. I'll come back to them a few updates in.

beatmangler443 wrote:Are you guys happy with Studio One 4? I really like so far. You feel Presonus over saturate themselves and need to slim down their product line? I think so far they been putting good hardware out. Quantum, Studio Live III etc.

Presonus is always a leader in innovation and improving products based on user requests.

Like it. imported a chordy guitar audio track in Bb and Studio one recognized every chord except one, should have bee Bb but S1 listed it as Bbm. Can't get the right click "send to Melodyne" menu selection to show up though.

Very happy with it! The items they added in the Pattern Editor, the Chord Track, and other areas of the program are fairly well thought out even if you can tell they plan to upgrade the features overtime. Presonus seems to always be pretty thoughtful about their additions. There's a difference between something lacking features and lacking presentation and usability. Studio One always seems to put simplicity and ease of use first which I love.

Customer support is also pretty nice, they did a good job dealing with the growing pains of version 4.0 (some website licensing issues, Melodyne bugs, etc) and 4.0.1 fixed a ton of the little issues that came up between 3.5.3 and 4.0.0. Windows seems more stable than Mac though; I'm not sure how well Mac is represented in their testing group as they seem to lean a bit on people Mac users voluntarily reporting issues with their software.

The new VST plugin scanner is VERY fast and its nice that it can prevent some issues from coming up by blacklisting plugins early. That being said, if you're using a lot of 3rd party Virtual Instruments and effects Studio One on Mac definitely crashes a LOT more due to 3rd party interactions than other programs I've used (Logic, Reaper). V4 so far seems to continue with that m.o. - it may have something to do with plugins responding strangely to their software Low Latency Monitoring and Dropout Protection schemes. Doesn't affect my work much since I don't often utilize virtual instruments while tracking, only while writing, but it is something to think about.
Last edited by oneway on Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

I love Studio One in general and I still feel its the fastest to compose in of any DAW. The new update is nice and I really like the subtle GUI changes they made from version 3. Its still by far the hardest on my CPU in Windows 10(At least compared to Cubase, Reaper, Waveform, Samplitude ProX, Mixcraft, Reason, and Mulab.) I'm OK if I'm recording mostly audio but when I load up a couple VI's or add some channel Effects it sends the CPU meters into a frenzy every time. I optimize PC's for Audio, Video, and Gaming for a living so I know a little about how to squeeze every little drop out of your CPU and Studio One is still the only one that gives me these troubles. If it weren't for this, I'd almost consider it a perfect DAW. Version 4 is even more refined than 3 was and some of the smaller features added were big for me. I just wish it was more processor efficient for use with larger projects but that's not specific to this version as its had this trouble for years.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

I'm happy enough with Studio One 3 that I'm going to hold off on the upgrade until a sale. 4 didn't really add anything of interest to me except the ability to read chords from polyphonic material.

jjpscott01 wrote:I love Studio One in general and I still feel its the fastest to compose in of any DAW. The new update is nice and I really like the subtle GUI changes they made from version 3. Its still by far the hardest on my CPU in Windows 10(At least compared to Cubase, Reaper, Waveform, Samplitude ProX, Mixcraft, Reason, and Mulab.) I'm OK if I'm recording mostly audio but when I load up a couple VI's or add some channel Effects it sends the CPU meters into a frenzy every time. I optimize PC's for Audio, Video, and Gaming for a living so I know a little about how to squeeze every little drop out of your CPU and Studio One is still the only one that gives me these troubles. If it weren't for this, I'd almost consider it a perfect DAW. Version 4 is even more refined than 3 was and some of the smaller features added were big for me. I just wish it was more processor efficient for use with larger projects but that's not specific to this version as its had this trouble for years.
Curious: do you find the CPU usage is worst when input monitoring is enabled? In my experience, Studio One is a bit less efficient than Reaper and Studio One in normal mixing duties, but the CPU usage is pretty terrible when input monitoring. I think what's going on is that Studio One's Low Latency Monitoring mode actually exaserbates the CPU usage issues quite a bit because it's basically making a copy of the monitoring effects behind the scenes (doubling up the inserts), and is also using a lower buffer for that channel at the same time, the two of which really blow up the CPU. I don't know how Steinberg's ASIO Guard works, but it seems to do something very similar, but much better than Studio One.

beatmangler443 wrote:Are you guys happy with Studio One 4?
No.

I bought and loved s1 2, updated to s1 3 and then realised that i hated the new interface.
Every time they released an update i would install it and then go back to Reaper.
Installed the s1 4 demo and still dont like it.

After all this time i guess they will never let me make the interface into how i want it to be so i finally deleted s1 2, s1 3 and s1 4.

I don't miss it at all.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Greenstorm33 wrote:I'm happy enough with Studio One 3 that I'm going to hold off on the upgrade until a sale. 4 didn't really add anything of interest to me except the ability to read chords from polyphonic material.
The GUI changes may appear subtle, but, they add quite a lot to usability.

rodanmusic wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I was super excited hearing a new version was coming out, then watched the announcement video and was disappointed. That said, I really wanted a Drum Editor and could use a Pattern Editor so I ran the demo and ultimately thought:

Spot on. The Drum Editor and Pattern Editor are both far from being ready to be released IMO. I'll come back to them a few updates in.
Agreed with both. I keep hoping that there will be something that will tear me away from Cubase just for a change of scenery but not yet.

it's as good as any other.. no better no worse. of all the DAWs i use... they are ALL better than they used to be and NONE will ever be perfect. saying that... pretty much ALL developers from DAWs to plugins have one inherent problem... they tend to think they are the best thing since sliced bread and have an "our shit don't stink" attitude and "if you don't like it go elsewhere" but then again most people as individuals can't take criticism even if it is constructive. those of us that have been around before computers in general are thankful for it all unlike the youngsters that grew up on 'immediate gratification' and the ease of use given by computers.

so all in all... it is fine... far from perfect but better than it was and is growing up so to speak like all other DAWs. cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”