Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
fastlanephil
KVRian

532 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:08 pm The Hope

Mostly orchestral with some electronics in three sections.

https://soundcloud.com/fastlanephil/the-hoperev1
wagtunes
KVRAF

12633 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:21 pm Re: The Hope

My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 8
Performance - 8
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.25

Comments: I have a lot of mixed feelings about this one. It's nice. But it's very simple. In addition to that, not enough dynamics for an orchestral piece. I should know because I'm the king of one dimensional orchestral pieces and I'm working on fixing that now. Don't get me wrong, on a superficial level, this is really nice. But I'm looking for something a little deeper here because this has so much potential with some minor tweaking in dynamics and arrangement. Having said that, it's sure a hell of a lot better than anything I can put together orchestral wise. Just needs a tad more variety and spice. Some p or pp sections would be nice.
Frantz
KVRAF

4773 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:35 pm Re: The Hope

Sorry but section 1 sounds like lullaby muzak. Maybe its the choice of sounds? I am also noticing the simplicity that wagtunes complained about.

Section 2 is better. A solid melody that could be developed further.

Section 3 is the definite highlight. There are some majestic moments. Digging the strings and percussion combo.

I think this would be stronger if section 1 were dropped but I guess it has a nostalgic charm that I could eventually warm up to.
Eauson
KVRian

732 posts since 8 Jan, 2013, from morf

Postby Eauson; Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:26 pm Re: The Hope

I think Frantz has pretty much summed up section 1, sections 2+3 are better, it just feels a bit woolly in places, section 2 has a nice intro, some of the note placements are a touch off, section 3 starts out like a classic western, snare seems to be a bit mistimed, together with other elements. There is a greater depth but it could do with some changes, it needs to feel more free, which is difficult with orchestral music as the simplicity of this style calls for greater detail in the location and timing of the sounds.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face
fastlanephil
KVRian

Postby fastlanephil; Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:52 am Re: The Hope

wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 8
Performance - 8
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.25

Comments: I have a lot of mixed feelings about this one. It's nice. But it's very simple. In addition to that, not enough dynamics for an orchestral piece. I should know because I'm the king of one dimensional orchestral pieces and I'm working on fixing that now. Don't get me wrong, on a superficial level, this is really nice. But I'm looking for something a little deeper here because this has so much potential with some minor tweaking in dynamics and arrangement. Having said that, it's sure a hell of a lot better than anything I can put together orchestral wise. Just needs a tad more variety and spice. Some p or pp sections would be nice.

Much of my music tends to be minimalistic in nature and borrows from pop music sensibilities. It sounds like maybe you’re wanting this music to fit an imagined musical experience.

I have already run this one by a few quite accompished and formally trained neo-classical composers and they enjoyed it as is although, as suggested by one listener, I made a minor change to the ending.
wagtunes
KVRAF

12633 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:18 pm Re: The Hope

fastlanephil wrote:
wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 8
Performance - 8
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.25

Much of my music tends to be minimalistic in nature and borrows from pop music sensibilities. It sounds like maybe you’re wanting this music to fit an imagined musical experience.

I have already run this one by a few quite accompished and formally trained neo-classical composers and they enjoyed it as is although, as suggested by one listener, I made a minor change to the ending.

Music is ultimately a very subjective thing to begin with. If we could just plug formulas in for the desired response we'd all be robots. Each person is going to hear things differently. I can't hear a piece of music that how I hear it. It doesn't have anything to do with preconceived expectations, at least not for me, because when I hear a piece of music I don't know what to expect. I react with my gut and not with some formula. It doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. There is no right or wrong when it comes to music. There is just how we hear it as individuals.

For better or worse, my response was how I heard the music.

Nothing more, nothing less.
seismic1
KVRAF

8929 posts since 13 Mar, 2009, from UK

Postby seismic1; Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:08 pm Re: The Hope

Part 1 does seem to have a lullaby vibe to it, although I don't hear anything inherently wrong with that approach. In fact, it's probably quite a good idea here, as it sets the scene for, and provides a dynamic contrast to the music that follows. Part 2 appears to be a slight variation of part 1, although the changes in instrumentation help the transition to the last part.

I agree with the other posters' comments that Part 3 is the strongest of the 3 sections, and I can also understand the reference to the classic Western soundtrack.

Good work :)
fastlanephil
KVRian

Postby fastlanephil; Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:40 pm Re: The Hope

I realize this isn’t exactly the forum for more classical based efforts but I don’t mind comments and criticisms and learn from them or reject them as one sees fit. I agree that there is a slight western feel to the last section although I was probably inspired by the Scherzo(third movement) of Beethoven’s Third Symphony. Beethoven’s 3rd Symphony and I think particularly that Scherzo moved classical music from the era of Mozart/Hasdin to the romantic period which is still being used, structually at least, in modern soundtrack.

One idea from a couple of those classical folks was to add some timpani to the brass section. Other than that and and my all ready added addition of the orchestral hit at the end, their comments were quite positive. Of course they probably approach one’s music efforts more as a composition and less as a finished performance. I’m sure everyone thinks something could have been done a little differently with their music at times but there’s no sence worrying about it.

Thanks for the comments.
Allomerus
KVRAF

1937 posts since 28 Aug, 2012, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby Allomerus; Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 am Re: The Hope

Hi Phil. I enjoyed this for what it is. A track you obviously enjoyed making...
I like the melody of the first part.
The part at 1:30 sounds like Disney to me. But what would I know!
The middle section brass is bold, well done!
Like others have said the last part is the strongest...
:)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe