"Walks On The Beach"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Samuel_S
KVRist
193 posts since 26 Apr, 2018 from USA

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:15 pm

the song
Hi everyone, I made this song 6 days ago and I had the image of an elderly couple walking along the beach at sunset in mind, so I made this. It's pretty much inspired by commercials about timeshares.
I both love it and hate it because it's so cheesy but I chose the flute sound from the u-he Diva and thought it complemented it quite nicely. I feel as if more could've been done to add to the atmospherics and "sunny" feel of the instrumentation.
This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

wagtunes
KVRAF
15198 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: "Walks On The Beach"

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 pm

My Feedback

Music - 7
Instruments - 7
Performance - 7
Mix - 5

Overall - 6.5

Comments: Mix is lifeless. There are no dynamics in the upper register and the bass is muddy as hell. The lead is barely audible. Is there an EQ on any track in this mix? It's like the whole top end has been lopped off. Plus, it almost sounds like mono except for the pad, which is also barely audible. In short, there is absolutely no air in this track. And considering how little is really going on in it (what is it, 6 or 7 tracks tops?) I can't believe how dull everything sounds. Take out an EQ and start bringing stuff to life. Probably a compressor will help too. Musically, it was okay. A little monotonous (doesn't really go anywhere) but the main melody (what there is of it) is pleasant enough. In short, this thing needs tons of work.

ChamMusic
KVRian
893 posts since 12 Jun, 2006

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:33 pm

Samuel_S wrote:I had the image of an elderly couple walking along the beach at sunset in mind
Samuel_S wrote:It's pretty much inspired by commercials about timeshares.
Does the job in both cases!
Samuel_S wrote:I both love it and hate it because it's so cheesy
Yep!
Samuel_S wrote:more could've been done to add to the atmospherics and "sunny" feel of the instrumentation.
Yes, to some extent...bass is quite dominant in terms of:
1) It's too busy for the rest of the track?
2) It's too prominent in the mix?

There is an awful lot of power in the mid frequencies. Some subtle EQing would help balance it all out.
wagtunes wrote:Mix is lifeless
Sorry, Steven, I disagree here. It needs work, but I didn't find it lifeless at all.
wagtunes wrote:The lead is barely audible.
Again, I could hear it really clearly.
wagtunes wrote:It's like the whole top end has been lopped off.
Actually, no it hasn't...I checked with a frequency analyser...the issue is too much MID frequency...this needs reducing.
wagtunes wrote:it almost sounds like mono except for the pad

Definitely....needs work on the stereo spread without doubt.
wagtunes wrote:A little monotonous (doesn't really go anywhere)
Agreed, but I don't think it's meant to! :0) I would also like a bit more development and contrast, but if it's meant to be a cheesy commercial then it does the job.

Samuel_S
KVRist
193 posts since 26 Apr, 2018 from USA

Post Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:13 pm

ChamMusic wrote:
Samuel_S wrote:I had the image of an elderly couple walking along the beach at sunset in mind
Samuel_S wrote:It's pretty much inspired by commercials about timeshares.
Does the job in both cases!
Samuel_S wrote:I both love it and hate it because it's so cheesy
Yep!
Samuel_S wrote:more could've been done to add to the atmospherics and "sunny" feel of the instrumentation.
Yes, to some extent...bass is quite dominant in terms of:
1) It's too busy for the rest of the track?
2) It's too prominent in the mix?

There is an awful lot of power in the mid frequencies. Some subtle EQing would help balance it all out.
wagtunes wrote:Mix is lifeless
Sorry, Steven, I disagree here. It needs work, but I didn't find it lifeless at all.
wagtunes wrote:The lead is barely audible.
Again, I could hear it really clearly.
wagtunes wrote:It's like the whole top end has been lopped off.
Actually, no it hasn't...I checked with a frequency analyser...the issue is too much MID frequency...this needs reducing.
wagtunes wrote:it almost sounds like mono except for the pad

Definitely....needs work on the stereo spread without doubt.
wagtunes wrote:A little monotonous (doesn't really go anywhere)
Agreed, but I don't think it's meant to! :0) I would also like a bit more development and contrast, but if it's meant to be a cheesy commercial then it does the job.
thanks for the more "interactive" review. I'm flattered you agree with the fact it sounds like something for a cheesy commercial, since I am mostly inspired by background music and all. As snappy as wagtunes sounds, I kinda agree with both of you that the bass is a little aggressive and kind of unfitting. Had the track been longer and more thought-out, I would've added some George Benson-esque jazz guitar or harps but this will do as it is. 
This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

Return to “Music Cafe”