A Petition for Mr. Chris "Airwindows" Johnson - volume compensator

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Tp3
KVRAF
2119 posts since 8 Feb, 2007

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:17 am

As SO many of your plugins are drive dependent, why aren't you making an auto-gain duo, like, one master volume derived from PurestGain/HermeTrim/EveryTrim code... and its companion - a GUIless plug which compensates the EXACT same amount of negative volume ?

I mean, no special trickery... just a PLUS/MINUS affair... (it could be called CompensaTrim 8))

This is one plug sorely missing from your otherwise amazing plugin collection...

Thanks
What is best ? How do you define 'best'? If you're talking about what you can think, what you can feel, what you can listen and hear, then 'best' is simply marketing signals (ie. hype) interpreted by your brain.

garfield78
KVRist
32 posts since 11 Jun, 2013

Re: A Petition for Mr. Chris "Airwindows" Johnson - volume compensator

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:24 am

+1

a "auto trim" or "auto gain" with a rms target or ebur128 target will be good .

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
5674 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:39 am

My understanding is that Chris is able to develop and release free plugins based solely via the support he receives on Patreon. If you're supporting him each month and have a request, I bet he'd be responsive. If not, maybe consider supporting his work with a few bucks each month. I personally wouldn't "petition" him for anything otherwise [I'm totally being semantic here, but "petition" just has negative connotations versus a word like "suggestion," even if they're basically the same thing in this context], but Chris is a nice guy and may not mind the suggestion at all. Still, maybe toss a few bucks if you use his stuff regularly and want to see more of it, that's what Patreon is all about.

PSA over.

Tp3
KVRAF

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:My understanding is that Chris is able to develop and release free plugins based solely via the support he receives on Patreon.
I'm a supporter.

Maybe in absolute terms it's not a lot, but it's still way over what the asking donation is... :)
What is best ? How do you define 'best'? If you're talking about what you can think, what you can feel, what you can listen and hear, then 'best' is simply marketing signals (ie. hype) interpreted by your brain.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
5674 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:04 am

Tp3 wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:My understanding is that Chris is able to develop and release free plugins based solely via the support he receives on Patreon.
I'm a supporter.

Maybe in absolute terms it's not a lot, but it's still way over what the asking donation is... :)
:tu:

cturner
KVRist
346 posts since 7 Dec, 2009 from GWB

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 am

Something wrong with Blue Cat’s free Gain Suite?
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Tp3
KVRAF

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:26 am

Its nice to have an "In-House" family guy around 8)

funky lime
KVRian
1116 posts since 17 Sep, 2002

Post Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:41 pm

You can roll your own, so to speak, if you use Reaper. I have an FX chain that is just two PurestGains, with the second one's gain inversely linked to the first one. Anything I want to drive harder (like the original Spiral, before he released Spiral2, or the various console sims) I just put between them. Now, with one click, I have a button that adds this FX chain to the selected track.

I don't know how to do this in other DAWs, as I don't use any other ones, but it's really fast and easy to do with the parameter modulation in Reaper.

Drop two PurestGain instances onto a track. Open the second one, and go to Parameter Modulation and MIDI Link for the Gain parameter. Check the "Link from MIDI or FX param", and choose the Gain control from the other instance of PurestGain (the one without the "Self" identifier). Set the Baseline Value slider all the way to the left, and the Offset and Scale to -100% (all the way to the left as well). Save this as an FX chain.
You can take it further by having your mixer display the Gain knob from the first instance on each track, and you can rename it to something more appropriate like "FX Drive" or "Intensity." You can even set this FX chain to appear by default on each new track in this configuration. Now you can easily drive those console emulations (or whatever) well beyond their subtle comfort zone, while keeping the audio information strictly "in-house" (i.e. Airwindows-only), and with only having to adjust one knob right on the mixer.

Tp3
KVRAF

Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:57 am

funky lime wrote:You can roll your own, so to speak, if you use Reaper.
Yea, I know that - having seen Dan Worrall's "emphasis and de emphasis EQ" video.

Frankly, I'd like to use the same code that comprises BitShiftGain/HermeTrim/EveryTrim to do that.

Otherwise - the simplest way to do that is to load BlueCatAudio Gain and sandwich a AW-to-be-driven-plug(s) between two BCAG instances.

bbtr
Banned
410 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:23 am

Which means that they should be talking to each other in real time, or at least 1 -> 2.

Which is not as simple as it looks. Because automation, latency,............ -> no live tracking, pops and glitches. And audio after is not the same as audio before, so you may not want 1:1 - so you'd need control over ratio.

Audio rate modulation of volume 1? Uh-oh, uh-oh... Hey, it's got to work in ALL cases!

And the plugins you insert in between will be changing audio in various ways, which means you may NOT want a simple 1:1 inversion ---- because this will ruin your audio! A sound getting a few ms longer (as often with distortion) will be cut where it shouldn't. Envelopes!

But if you want a bare bones set and forget affair, no modulation - a crosstalk plugin would be overkill.

So what's the point?

Tp3
KVRAF

Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:07 am

bbtr wrote:Which means that they should be talking to each other in real time, or at least 1 -> 2.

Which is not as simple as it looks. Because automation, latency,............ -> no live tracking, pops and glitches. And audio after is not the same as audio before, so you may not want 1:1 - so you'd need control over ratio.

Audio rate modulation of volume 1? Uh-oh, uh-oh... Hey, it's got to work in ALL cases!

And the plugins you insert in between will be changing audio in various ways, which means you may NOT want a simple 1:1 inversion ---- because this will ruin your audio! A sound getting a few ms longer (as often with distortion) will be cut where it shouldn't. Envelopes!

But if you want a bare bones set and forget affair, no modulation - a crosstalk plugin would be overkill.

So what's the point?
Wow man :eek:

Umm... nope :D
Tp3 wrote:I mean, no special trickery... just a PLUS/MINUS affair...

bbtr
Banned
410 posts since 21 Nov, 2005

Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:55 am

Tp3 wrote: Wow man :eek:

Umm... nope :D
Tp3 wrote:I mean, no special trickery... just a PLUS/MINUS affair...

Hence the question - what's the point, from a user perspective and much more so from an engineering perspective?

Load a fader, type -12. Load another, type +12. DONE! That's it! Or link them via the host.

And then you want a volume fader that does not, or should not automate. Heck, volume faders are MEANT to be automated. OK, you wouldn't, in your use case, but maybe someone else would. And then we go back to my previous post with serious issues about this, and maybe there's more, but I'm not a coder, so wouldn't know.

Oh, BTW, do you want a ratio? Coz that's kind of important. Because with some airwindows (and not only) plugins, the more you drive it, the louder it gets. But with others, it gets quieter! In both cases 1:1 wouldn't satisfy you, this I can predict. What do you do then? Load another fader!

funky lime
KVRian
1116 posts since 17 Sep, 2002

Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:50 pm

Well, lucky for us, the Airwindows stuff is open source (with the MIT license, to boot). So if you really have it all figured out, that it's more than just a plus/minus affair, then have at it. I'm sure there are plenty of us here who will be more than happy to help you test your experiments. :tu:

jinxtigr
KVRian
784 posts since 7 Apr, 2007 from Bellows Falls, VT

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:34 pm

cturner wrote:Something wrong with Blue Cat’s free Gain Suite?
Oh hi :)

Blue Cat has this? Well then, you should be all set :D I'm a huge Blue Cat advocate. That guy's fantastic and well worth your support.

As for me, the reason I am not doing it is because I don't know how to make plugins send information to each other. If someone works out how that's done (especially in a way that supports Mac AU, and Mac and PC and Linux VST) then please fork one of my plugins and draw my attention to your forked plugins and the MIT-licensed code you used to do it.

It's kind of like sidechaining: there's areas I simply don't get because I don't know how to implement them, but if shown a working example I can be off and running. And whether it's sidechaining, or having two plugins talk to each other, I'm sure I can run with it and think of cool new things to do (note that this almost certainly doesn't include 'crosstalk' because that requires processing stuff that's calculated inside discrete buffers, so the best you can possibly hope for is to double the buffer size of everything and slow it to a crawl AND be forced to run a latency of at least a whole additional buffer… this isn't how I like to handle digital audio)

So that's basically it: if someone can show the basic concept of plugins telling each other what their gain settings are, I could do the rest. I'm not sure how that's done, and I don't want to blow up any DAWs trying to force it :D

imrae
KVRist
407 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 pm

I can think of an evil, irresponsible way of communicating from one plugin to another later in the chain: abuse multi-channel audio and use channel 3 to send/receive DC signals.

This would work very nicely in REAPER, but REAPER already makes it easy to inversely link two gain plugins which is a better solution. I'm not sure how well multi-channel routing between plugins is set up in other DAWs.

Return to “Effects”