Water (solo) for, imagine ears

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

My Feedback

Music
Instruments
Performance
Mix

Overall

Comments: The problem with pieces like this for me is that, unlike real acoustic instruments that have a true rich sound and can stand on their own, synths just don't cut it for me when played like this. If this were a real piano, different story. But as is, kind of sounds like a souped up music box. Musically, it's okay but sonically it just leaves me cold. The synth sound itself really didn't interest me that much on its own. Don't even know how to "rate" something like this so I'll just pass on this one.

I kinda like the sound itself, but i would be more interessted what that song was like before you hit the 'quantize all' button (if it ever was played on a keyboard). It sounds horribly generated. Also the last thing i would think of is water. May i ask why its called watter?
First thing that came to my mind was a background track for timelapse videos, of a stret at night, or a construction site or something like that. Songs like this can work in a certain context. Although i have to say, it didn't work for me on its own. Mostly because of that uniform pattern.

wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music
Instruments
Performance
Mix

Overall

Comments: The problem with pieces like this for me is that, unlike real acoustic instruments that have a true rich sound and can stand on their own, synths just don't cut it for me when played like this. If this were a real piano, different story. But as is, kind of sounds like a souped up music box. Musically, it's okay but sonically it just leaves me cold. The synth sound itself really didn't interest me that much on its own. Don't even know how to "rate" something like this so I'll just pass on this one.

even you must be able to see the irony here, or as some might say "the f**king hypocrisy!"

vurt wrote: "the f**king hypocrisy!"
:lol:

vurt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music
Instruments
Performance
Mix

Overall

even you must be able to see the irony here, or as some might say "the f**king hypocrisy!"
No, there is no hypocrisy. You will never find me doing a track with just one track of nothing but a synth. It's bland, it's boring, it's pointless, especially if it's to try to emulate some acoustic solo instrument, which this appears to be doing.

Now, a solo track of a modular synth morphing and making odd sounds that wouldn't come from a solo acoustic instrument, that's different. It's something I can't hear from somebody sitting down at a piano or violin. There was simply nothing interesting here. If he'd sat down and played a piano sonata, even with a sampled piano, that would have been different. It would have at least given the illusion of a real piano playing a piano sonata. But it was obvious this piece was made with a synth. And not a very interesting one.

But by all means, go through all my Soundcloud tracks and point out the piece I did with just ONE track of an instrument and nothing else UNLESS it was an actual piano. One piece I did, called "The Music Box" was just a piano playing. I'm not sure if I posted it or not but that was a solo piano track. And it sounds like a piano.

So no, there is nothing hypocritical about my criticism. You simply don't agree with me, and that's fine. But don't call me a hypocrite. I do NOT do pieces like this and never will. They bore me to tears and do absolutely nothing for me.

vurt wrote: even you must be able to see the irony here, or as some might say "the f**king hypocrisy!"
Apparently not.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
vurt wrote: even you must be able to see the irony here, or as some might say "the f**king hypocrisy!"
Apparently not.
So maybe because I'm such a f**king idiot, you'd like to point it out to me.

This should be good.

well, i just find it a little ironic that someone who strips all the emotion from the most expressive acoustic instrument there is, is commenting on someone using a synthetic sounding piano.

ftr; i never accused you of hypocrisy. i said "some" might use that phrase.
mainly because i saw "someone" use it, with regards a similar issue...

vurt wrote:well, i just find it a little ironic that someone who strips all the emotion from the most expressive acoustic instrument there is, is commenting on someone using a synthetic sounding piano.

ftr; i never accused you of hypocrisy. i said "some" might use that phrase.
mainly because i saw "someone" use it, with regards a similar issue...
The problem is, it doesn't sound like a piano. I don't know what it sounds like. And again, it has nothing to do with the "sound" of the instrument. Please read my criticism again. My criticism was that THAT was all there was. Had there been several tracks of like instruments it would have at least been interesting due to the interaction between the instruments. In that case, I couldn't care less if every track was a synth. But a solo synth sound, for me, is boring. That's my complaint. And yes, it's my complaint for all synths, which is why I will NEVER do solo synth music unless it's to demo a patch library. And yes, even my use of Vocaloid (which I know is what you were referring to in your statement) I would NEVER use all by itself. I dress it up with other instruments because I KNOW that Vocaloid on its own can't stand up. Hell, it barely stands up even WITH all the glitz around it.

IMO, making a track with a solo synth (any solo synth unless it's some kind of morphing modular thing like what you do) is an invitation to boring your listeners to death. That is my opinion of all synths even going back to the days of analog bore fests like The Minimoog and the Odyssey.

I know I'm in the minority here. But that's how I feel. For me, if you're going to use synths, you better have a few tracks in your piece to generate interest. At least for me.

YMMV.

wagtunes wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Apparently not.

This should be good.
You said it ...

if its not apparent to you I see little point trying to explain. Like explaining why a joke is funny ... sorry you don't get it.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Apparently not.

This should be good.
You said it ...

if its not apparent to you I see little point trying to explain. Like explaining why a joke is funny ... sorry you don't get it.
Then STFU

wagtunes wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Apparently not.

This should be good.
You said it ...

Then STFU
You first. :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q80IMTliOmk

Know what? I'm not going to criticize anybody's music anymore. If I have nothing nice to say I won't say anything at all. Because this is what happens. Funny how somebody else criticized the track but nothing is said to him.

Now THAT is hypocrisy.

To the OP. Sorry your thread got derailed. I just gave my honest opinion and was called a hypocrite, which was uncalled for.

IOW, I didn't start this train wreck. Try to remember that.

bUNDLe :D :o :wink: 8) :tu: :party: :hug: :phones: :clown: :hihi: :idea:

:D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Return to “Music Cafe”